Thailand's War With The Uk

Thai exports are not in a closed and protected market. I don't know where you get that. I also don't know where import duties come into play when the Thais import raw materials.

Import Duties on Cars - From the Thai Customs Department can be found here [http://www2.customs....me=PersonalPer]

As you can see the total import taxes start at 187% and goes up to 328%.

Read my post again GH. I did not mention import duties on cars.

And on a matter of your recorded comments....... see above.

Import duties are low on raw materials high on finished cars - closing access to external manufactures selling in Thailand and protecting Thailand based assemblers - Get it yet?

Edited by GuestHouse

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... It is only a matter of time before superior Thai engineering and production techniques and worker quality boost Thailand to a place permanently above the UK...

I think you mean cheap labour.

Thailand's threat isn't the UK, and the UK isn't really its competitor. It's other cheap cost producers, eg Indonesia, Vietnam, India etc. This year it will lose its No.1 rice exporter position to Vietnam. More industries to follow.

smile.png

• Like 2

almost every F1 car

Engines:

Ferrari 3 teams

Renault 4 teams

Mercedes 3 teams

Cosworth 2 teams

And the chassis and design teams and all the parts suppliers all the consultancy companies ?

And the Mercedes engines: formerly known as Ilmor.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/mercedes-f1-engines-brixworth-2012-07-06

Edited by arthurwait

Import duties are the means of protecting the Thai Auto Assemblers and restricting access to the market - Doh !

Good for you. I didn't mention it because it has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Yes it is, because without import controls and import duties Thailand would not be able to compete in the open car market.

Another uncomfortable fact you deny.

Thai exports are not in a closed and protected market. I don't know where you get that. I also don't know where import duties come into play when the Thais import raw materials.

Import Duties on Cars - From the Thai Customs Department can be found here [http://www2.customs....me=PersonalPer]

As you can see the total import taxes start at 187% and goes up to 328%.

And on a matter of your recorded comments....... see above.

Import duties are low on raw materials high on finished cars - closing access to external manufactures selling in Thailand and protecting Thailand based assemblers - Get it yet?

No. It has nothing to do with the number of cars produced in Thailand.

Import duties are the means of protecting the Thai Auto Assemblers and restricting access to the market - Doh !

Good for you. I didn't mention it because it has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Yes it is, because without import controls and import duties Thailand would not be able to compete in the open car market.

Another uncomfortable fact you deny.

Thailand competes in an open market. Thailand can not impose controls on other countries. Thailand exports cars to many markets. Thailand has no control of those markets.

Thailand competes in an open market. Thailand can not impose controls on other countries. Thailand exports cars to many markets. Thailand has no control of those markets.

It does so from behind a closed and protected Thailand market - Hence the reason why the range of cars available in the Thai market is so poor and why what cars there are cost so much more than elsewhere in the world.

Do you really believe Volkswagon are not selling large numbers of cars here in Thailand because Thai people don't like Volkswagon's products. Those willing to pay the extremely high prices resulting from import controls and import duties seem to like VWs - but sadly out of the price range of most.

Edited by GuestHouse

It does so from behind a closed and protected Thailand market - Hence the reason why the range of cars available in the Thai market is so poor and why what cars there are cost so much more than elsewhere in the world.

Do you really believe Volkswagon are not selling large numbers of cars here in Thailand because Thai people don't like Volkswagon's products. Those willing to pay the extremely high prices resulting from import controls and import duties seem to like VWs - but sadly out of the price range of most.

Export market?

I don't know the details of the export of Thai vehicles. I imagine that most of the exported vehicles are Japanese pick-ups going to other ASEAN countries, since it is renowned as a centre for manufacture of Japanese pickups. I imagine other vehicles get exported as counter-trade, to get lower import tariffs to bring other vehicles into the country. So the import barriers do help the export as well.

Similarly the UK marketed itself as a destination for Japanese (and perhaps American*) car manufacturers to set up to localise production for the EU. Comparatively relaxed employment legislation, business-friendly local government, good infrastructure and a sophisticated and committed workforce, in comparison to our more efficient but workshy neighbours, if the blurb from the British equivalent of the BOI is to be believed.

SC

*Of course, the American manufacturers had long been established in Europe, in various countries, dating back to times when there were more diverse hurdles to free trade at a more parochial level, and even before that to the days when logistics were less efficient and the cost of shipping cars was significant

Export market?

Subsidised by a protected Thailand market.

Huge profits on cars assembled in Thailand and sold in the protected Thailand cover all the base production costs - export is a bonus.

Having demonstrated you know nothing about engineering and production technology, please don't make a fool of yourself on economics.

almost every F1 car

Engines:

Ferrari 3 teams

Renault 4 teams

Mercedes 3 teams

Cosworth 2 teams

And the chassis and design teams and all the parts suppliers all the consultancy companies ?

What does that have to do with car production in Thailand?

As you said, it is the techonological excellence of the Thais that underlies their massive growth in car manufacturing, and their worldwide success. Countries like the UK, which cannot match their engineering and technical expertise, are bound to fall by the wayside, and become nothing more than assemblers of rikshaws and tuk-tuks.

SC

• Like 1

Export market?

Subsidised by a protected Thailand market.

Huge profits on cars assembled in Thailand and sold in the protected Thailand cover all the base production costs - export is a bonus.

Having demonstrated you know nothing about engineering and production technology, please don't make a fool of yourself on economics.

Exports in July hit a record high of 94,838 units, an increase of 25 percent year-on-year with export values of Bt46 billion, an increase of 37 percent year-on-year. Auto exports in the first seven months of this year were recorded at 551,707 units, up 15.73 percent year-on-year with an export value of Bt263 billion, up 25.32 percent year-on-year. Thailand exports can not and are not protected. Wake up and smell the roses. Even you can add. What percent of the auto market is export?

Engines:

Ferrari 3 teams

Renault 4 teams

Mercedes 3 teams

Cosworth 2 teams

What does that have to do with car production in Thailand?

As you said, it is the techonological excellence of the Thais that underlies their massive growth in car manufacturing, and their worldwide success. Countries like the UK, which cannot match their engineering and technical expertise, are bound to fall by the wayside, and become nothing more than assemblers of rikshaws and tuk-tuks.

SC

Try numbers for the past 40 years instead of humor. Not as funny but better information. Thailand’s auto production this year is expected to exceed the target of 2.2 million units to 2.3 million units.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Exports in July hit a record high of 94,838 units, an increase of 25 percent year-on-year with export values of Bt46 billion, an increase of 37 percent year-on-year. Auto exports in the first seven months of this year were recorded at 551,707 units, up 15.73 percent year-on-year with an export value of Bt263 billion, up 25.32 percent year-on-year. Thailand exports can not and are not protected. Wake up and smell the roses. Even you can add. What percent of the auto market is export?

OK so you don't understand economics either.

OK so you don't understand economics either.

What percent of the auto market is export 2nd time? You called it a bonus!biggrin.png What percent would a rational person think it will be next year?

What percent of the auto market is export 2nd time? You called it a bonus!biggrin.png What percent would a rational person think it will be next year?

It doesn't matter what percentage - a large and growing protected home market making huge profits - Export is subsidised by the base costs being covered - But I'm getting into economics again.... you'll struggle if its not in a BoI news letter.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter what percentage - a large and growing protected home market making huge profits - Export is subsidised by the base costs being covered - But I'm getting into economics again.... you'll struggle if its not in a BoI news letter.

Sticks and stones you know. Of course you are wrong. If the export market is a large percent your argument is false if it is a small percent your argument might hold water. If you don't know you are not informed about the Thai auto business.

If the export market is a large percent your argument is false if it is a small percent your argument might hold water. If you don't know you are not informed about the Thai auto business.

Of late I've been taking all Thai Government statistics on exports with a large pinch of salt.

If the export market is a large percent your argument is false if it is a small percent your argument might hold water. If you don't know you are not informed about the Thai auto business.

Of late I've been taking all Thai Government statistics on exports with a large pinch of salt.

So If the statistics prove you wrong the statistics must be wrong.smile.png Are there people who fall for your stuff here?

Nite nite.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

While we are on unanswered questions..

Right up there in your opening post you claimed Superior Thai Engineering and Production Technology - you still have not given us any examples of these things.

Post #155 for the fifth time and if you don't like the answer up to you.

I've read 155 several times - no mention at all of any Thai Engineering or Thai Production Technology - Lots of mention of Thais Assembling cars to imported Engineering using Imported Production Technology.

NO Thai Engineering or Thai Production Technology at all.

So If the statistics prove you wrong the statistics must be wrong.smile.png Are there people who fall for your stuff here?

Nite nite.

No if the statistics are subject to 'White Lies' they should be ignored on both sides of the argument.

While we are on unanswered questions..

Right up there in your opening post you claimed Superior Thai Engineering and Production Technology - you still have not given us any examples of these things.

Post #155 for the fifth time and if you don't like the answer up to you.

I still couldn't see any examples of technology or engineering in that post. You pointed out that there had been massive inward investment and that very many people work in those plants producing lots of cars. As mentioned, inward investment, Thai labour.

SC