Thailand's War With The Uk

Everyone I know has a good job and a college degree...Come to the industrial East coast of Thailand. Everyone has a car, house and job.

There you go. Case closed.

whistling.gif

Over the past 25 years, Thailand's Eastern Seaboard has emerged as the country's industrial hub, with the National Petrochemical Complex at Map Ta Phut in Rayong Province, the container port at Laem Chabang in Chonburi Province, and massive investments in power, water supply networks, refineries, highways, transportation, communications, human resources and supporting infrastructure.

Thailand has a large and integrated petrochemical industry, hosts international automotive manufacturers that export to 130 markets worldwide, and is consistently rated highly as being attractive for foreign direct investment. Hemaraj has played a key role in this industrial development.

Hemaraj's industrial estates are located primarily on Thailand's Eastern Seaboard. We have developed and manage six industrial estates, covering 31,350 rai or 13,000 acres. The industrial estates provide clusters for the petrochemical, automotive and other industries as well as 4 free zones inclusive in these areas.

From the mid 1990's, Hemaraj began developing the "Detroit of the East" automotive cluster at our flagship Hemaraj Eastern Seaboard Industrial Estate andEastern Seaboard Industrial Estate (Rayong). These form the most significant automotive cluster in Thailand, with investments from Ford, Mazda, GM, Suzuki and more than 150 automobile manufacturers from all over the world. Hemaraj Eastern Industrial Estate (Map Ta Phut) is a prime location for the petrochemical sector.

ATTENTION: Bizarre Non Sequitur Alert!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I wrote why the Eastern industrial of Thailand was a place of prosperity. Successful people go to successful areas. You got a problem with that? Or are you just trying to be a flamer?

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the past 25 years, Thailand's Eastern Seaboard has emerged as the country's industrial hub, with the National Petrochemical Complex at Map Ta Phut in Rayong Province, the container port at Laem Chabang in Chonburi Province, and massive investments in power, water supply networks, refineries, highways, transportation, communications, human resources and supporting infrastructure.

Thailand has a large and integrated petrochemical industry, hosts international automotive manufacturers that export to 130 markets worldwide, and is consistently rated highly as being attractive for foreign direct investment. Hemaraj has played a key role in this industrial development.

Hemaraj's industrial estates are located primarily on Thailand's Eastern Seaboard. We have developed and manage six industrial estates, covering 31,350 rai or 13,000 acres. The industrial estates provide clusters for the petrochemical, automotive and other industries as well as 4 free zones inclusive in these areas.

From the mid 1990's, Hemaraj began developing the "Detroit of the East" automotive cluster at our flagship Hemaraj Eastern Seaboard Industrial Estate andEastern Seaboard Industrial Estate (Rayong). These form the most significant automotive cluster in Thailand, with investments from Ford, Mazda, GM, Suzuki and more than 150 automobile manufacturers from all over the world. Hemaraj Eastern Industrial Estate (Map Ta Phut) is a prime location for the petrochemical sector.

ATTENTION: Bizarre Non Sequitur Alert!

I wrote why the Eastern industrial of Thailand was a place of prosperity. Successful people go to successful areas. You got a problem with that? Or are you just trying to be a flamer?

Do I have a problem with it? No. Nor am I "just trying to be a flamer".

You qoute my (perhaps obscure or ambiguous) post but then copy and paste some promotional material that had noting to do with me (and which by no means proved the unlikely claim that everyone in the industrial East coast of Thailand has a car, house and job. Nor did it address the silliness of your response to another post discussing the means of the working class with the claim that everyone you know has a good job and a college degree.)

This whole thread is filled with twists and swerves like this from you. It's baffling but admittedly kind of funny. Pardon me for noticing.

EDIT TO ADD: You didn't "write" that, did you?

If I lived on a farm in a farming town I would imagine most people I knew would be farmers. I live in a nice neighborhood with multi million baht homes; most people I know have a car, job and a degree.

Rayong is a nice town but it is not a town for people without transportation. Since it is the hub of the auto business in Thailand a lot more people have cars than most Thai towns. Sorry my writing is not exactly literal. In America everyone has a car, well no. Actually in NYC and Chicago a lot of folks don't have cars.

If I lived on a farm in a farming town I would imagine most people I knew would be farmers.

Yes, I suppose so. And?

I live in a nice neighborhood with multi million baht homes; most people I know have a car, job and a degree.

That's nice. My neighborhood is perhaps not so different. But I know plenty of people who don't have a good job and a college degree (doesn't make me any better than you of course, just means an apparent difference in range of experiences and acquaintances).

Fine, you didn't think you'd be taken literally. But saying "most of the people I know" is quite different from "everyone I know". What about the "everyone has a car house and job" bit? Was that supposed to be disregarded as meaningless rhetoric too or do you wish to modify that as well?

In America everyone has a car, well no. Actually in NYC and Chicago a lot of folks don't have cars.

Say what?! I don't know why anyone would make such an absurd statement as the first. As for the second, there are people all over the US who don't have cars. But I can't figure out why those sentences are in that post.

Look, it's simple: when a poster posited that the "Thai tariffs seem to be effective in keeping car prices high, and out of reach of most of the working class" you're response was, in my opinion, silly and ineffectual (especially since you apparently don't know any of the working class). Then when I (obliquely) commented on it, you C&Ped some companies promotional material that neither related to my post nor supported the one I was commenting on.

I'm not interested in "flaming" and am happy to leave it at that.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Look, it's simple: when a poster posited that the "Thai tariffs seem to be effective in keeping car prices high, and out of reach of most of the working class" you're response was, in my opinion, silly and ineffectual (especially since you apparently don't know any of the working class). Then when I (obliquely) commented on it, you C&Ped some companies promotional material that neither related to my post nor supported the one I was commenting on.

You wrote, "Look, it's simple: when a poster posited that the "Thai tariffs seem to be effective in keeping car prices high, and out of reach of most of the working class" you're response was, in my opinion, silly and ineffectual"

My silly and ineffectual response (your words) was, "Thanachart Bank booked over 30 billion baht in car loans in the first quarter. One bank in one quarter. Woops! I guess not really out of reach of the working class, eh?"

Your response was ,"There you go. Case closed."

Do you see the disconnect? You missed a post in between.

The post I was responding to was, "The combination of free-market aspirational advertising and restrictive tariffs that hamper competition, could, were one inclined to see conspiracy theories, provide an opportunity for the well-off in Thailand to keep their peons in poverty, burdening them with debt so that they cannot save for their children's education, ensuring that the majority remain fit for work on the factory floor, and not in the design office. Personally, I don't believe such speculation, but if it was the case, how would things look different?"

So Joe you missed the above post.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

You wrote, "Look, it's simple: when a poster posited that the "Thai tariffs seem to be effective in keeping car prices high, and out of reach of most of the working class" you're response was, in my opinion, silly and ineffectual"

My silly and ineffectual response (your words) was, Thanach"art Bank booked over 30 billion baht in car loans in the first quarter. One bank in one quarter. Woops! I guess not really out of reach of the working class, eh?"

The post I was responding to was, "The combination of free-market aspirational advertising and restrictive tariffs that hamper competition, could, were one inclined to see conspiracy theories, provide an opportunity for the well-off in Thailand to keep their peons in poverty, burdening them with debt so that they cannot save for their children's education, ensuring that the majority remain fit for work on the factory floor, and not in the design office. Personally, I don't believe such speculation, but if it was the case, how would things look different?"

Fair enough. My summation was inaccurate. I apologize (and I am genuine in that -- not being sarcastic; I genuinely hate to misrepresent what someone says).

Allow me to rephrase (and make it more simple):

I think it was silly and ineffectual to post that everyone you know has a good job and a college degree given that even if that is the case (rather remarkable to my mind but not im[possible I suppose), it proves nothing other than you have a very specific and limited range of acquaintances.

I thought it was also silly and ineffectual to claim that everyone on the industrial East coast of Thailand has a car, house and job because not only does that sound exceedingly implausible, it has little or no bearing on whether cars are beyond the means of many of the Thai working class.

And finally (?), I thought your C&P was a bizarre non sequitur because it neither related to what I posted or supported what you had.

EDIT: Forgot -- when you said my post ("There you go. Case closed.") was in response to the stuff about Thanachart Bank, that was clearly untrue. My post was, as can be seen, a reply to the specific lines I quoted.

Edited by SteeleJoe

My silly and ineffectual response (your words) was, Thanach"art Bank booked over 30 billion baht in car loans in the first quarter. One bank in one quarter. Woops! I guess not really out of reach of the working class, eh?"

Fair enough. My summation was inaccurate. I apologize (and I am genuine in that -- not being sarcastic; I genuinely hate to misrepresent what someone says).

I think it was silly and ineffectual to post that everyone you know has a good job and a college degree given that even if that is the case (rather remarkable to my mind but not im[possible I suppose), it proves nothing other than you have a very specific and limited range of acquaintances.

I thought it was also silly and ineffectual to claim that everyone on the industrial East coast of Thailand has a car, house and job because not only does that sound exceedingly implausible, it has little or no bearing on whether cars are beyond the means of many of the Thai working class.

And finally (?), I thought your C&P was a bizarre non sequitur because it neither related to what I posted or supported what you had.

EDIT: Forgot -- when you said my post ("There you go. Case closed.") was in response to the stuff about Thanachart Bank, that was clearly untrue. My post was, as can be seen, a reply to the specific lines I quoted.

No, no and no. All of the people I know work in the Maptaphut industrial and surrounding area and are executives. That would be understandable if you read the information and map that I posted. It is a giant area filled with many different businesses. Again if you read the information I posted you would realize there are many highly skilled working class jobs in the area. Every day in my travels I see subdivision after subdivision going up with new homes. This is not a tourist area. Nor is it a farming area. It is a highly paid industrial area. This area is what Detroit looked like in the 1950's. Steel, auto and energy jobs by the thousands.

Look at the map that I posted. It is where all the new investment in Thailand is happening. Look at the map and you can also see what did not flood last year. The information I posted that you think is a bizarre non sequitur was backing up what I had posted before which was not silly and ineffectual and supported by the cut and pasted information.

No, no and no. All of the people I know work in the Maptaphut industrial and surrounding area and are executives. That would be understandable if you read the information and map that I posted. It is a giant area filled with many different businesses. Again if you read the information I posted you would realize there are many highly skilled working class jobs in the area. Every day in my travels I see subdivision after subdivision going up with new homes. This is not a tourist area. Nor is it a farming area. It is a highly paid industrial area. This area is what Detroit looked like in the 1950's. Steel, auto and energy jobs by the thousands.

Look at the map that I posted. It is where all the new investment in Thailand is happening. Look at the map and you can also see what did not flood last year. The information I posted that you think is a bizarre non sequitur was backing up what I had posted before which was not silly and ineffectual and supported by the cut and pasted information.

Err..."no" what?

OK, you've convinced me (or at least I'll pretend for the sake of argument). All of the people you know (or most -- I'm no longer sure) have a good job and a college degree. Again it proves nothing other than you have a very specific and limited range of acquaintances (ie executive who live in Maptaphut industrial and surrounding area).

I did read the promotional material but even if I hadn't, I have a fair knowledge of the development of the region and what its impact has been. The material you posted perhaps barely supports the claim that everyone in the industrial Eastern seabord has a car, a house and a job -- but it falls far short in my opinion.

Those are the two comments I was posting about. Not about floods or new investment.

I'd love to continue to tit for every tat but dinner awaits (and I'm sure you'll agree this is unproductive and in danger of getting rather puerile).

Edited by SteeleJoe

Err..."no" what?

OK, you've convinced me (or at least I'll pretend for the sake of argument). All of the people you know (or most -- I'm no longer sure) have a good job and a college degree. Again it proves nothing other than you have a very specific and limited range of acquaintances (ie executive who live in Maptaphut industrial and surrounding area).

I did read the promotional material but even if I hadn't, I have a fair knowledge of the development of the region and what its impact has been. The material you posted perhaps barely supports the claim that everyone in the industrial Eastern seabord has a car, a house and a job -- but it falls far short in my opinion.

Those are the two comments I was posting about. Not about floods or new investment.

I'd love to continue to tit for every tat but dinner awaits (and I'm sure you'll agree this is unproductive and in danger of getting rather puerile).

Gosh don't believe me. I have seen the area for years. 40 actually. Take a drive from Sattahip to Rayong. Not many bars but many many restaurants and houses. New houses, new restaurants. Thai beaches, Thai clubs, Thai shopping. Auto shows with pretty girls at least once a month. The only fly in the ointment is the Navy. And maybe someday they will join the trend.

No one who drives South of Pattaya is surprised that gambling is coming and no one who drives South of Sattahip is surprised that Thailand will be the automaker of choice in Asia.

The majority of the people working in those industrial areas are brought in by them multi coloured coaches and many share the 1 room apartments that are being built all over the area. Most do not own their own cars and houses.

Did you go to the mall in Rayong this weekend? Of course you are correct. But many more people own their own homes and cars than any other large population center in Thailand.

It is not an example of the downtrodden peasants kept from the finer things in life by the mean rich robber barons.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

• 1 year later...