Defrauded By Another Farang; What Would You Do?

rideswings

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get one of your friends or girlfriends friend rent one out for the day and the it gives you 24 yrs to xxxxx the bike up.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Exactly. Rent the whole fleet and put sand in the oil case.

Edited by Rooo

I have had two bad experiences with farang business providers (one IT guy, one a stock trading adviser) - one just took money and didn't deliver, the other was just unprofessional and knew nothing about the issue he was advising about. Based on my experience and what i hear about other farang business providers i have reached the stage where i never use a farang if a thai can provide the same service/business/product.

4, 000 bht. That's about eighty quid UK. Are you desperate?

You may be out of pocket my friend but the cheat is the one with the real problem in the grand scheme of things.

Why do you people always have to convert to foreign currency? This is Thailand. People get paid in Thai baht and pay in Thai baht.

4,000 Thai Baht to Thais earning 20,000 Thai Baht a month can be a lot of money. I know there are foreigners here who do earn a lot more than that but please stop saying "oh, it's only 50 quid" or whatever.

Even on my salary I would annoyed at losing 4,000 Thai Baht. In fact I get annoyed at being cheated out of any amount of money but sometimes I just have to grin and accept it.

Edited by petedk
  • Like 2

I fail to see how you can claim with certainty that the guy ripped you off. As I see it you have no idea why the bike refused to start and are just taking the word of a Thai mechanic telling you it cost 4000 Baht to repair. it may have been fixed for 500 baht for all you know and the mechanic has had another easy touch from the Farang. Just put it down to experience and don't let it get to you. Just look around you and smile. Thats what I do when things annoy me thumbsup.gif

For all those guys saying 4000 bt is not a lot of money, maybe it is maybe it is not. For me its the principle of things. I hate dual pricing also even though it is not a great deal of money.

Its all about how it makes you feel. Its not about the money.

• Like 1

I say, go around and see him, since you know where his shop is. Dont go there to fight, but just to talk calmly. If he is a crook, you wont get your money back, but more than likely, he is just screwed for money, and got desperate. If you dont get the money, then its just an expensive lesson. Lots of farangs have motor bike rentals here, and of course at some point, they have to pass these bikes off. Most of these bikes are driven by old school teachers, that keep the bike in the garage, and have it serviced every month. No one wants to say the bike has been crashed and painted. I have seen a one year old bike, that was painted, and was told the owner just didnt like the colour! BS!

We all have expensive lessons here in Thailand. Believe it or not, there are a lot of Farangs that are really on the edge of survival, so will do things that they would not normally do, borrowing money, and forgetting to pay it back or even leaving the country after borrowing. I paid a friends emergency hospital bill, and got stuck with it.

You may be out of pocket my friend but the cheat is the one with the real problem in the grand scheme of things.

Why do you people always have to convert to foreign currency? This is Thailand. People get paid in Thai baht and pay in Thai baht.

4,000 Thai Baht to Thais earning 20,000 Thai Baht a month can be a lot of money. I know there are foreigners here who do earn a lot more than that but please stop saying "oh, it's only 50 quid" or whatever.

Even on my salary I would annoyed at losing 4,000 Thai Baht. In fact I get annoyed at being cheated out of any amount of money but sometimes I just have to grin and accept it.

I think you missed the most important point.

Wait for a couple of weeks, repost the same story but change the nationality of the vendor, from foreigner to Thai.

And wait for the answers ...

Get one of your friends or girlfriends friend rent one out for the day and the it gives you 24 yrs to xxxxx the bike up.

Good ideas. Go start a war. Possibly end up in hospital or worse over a couple baht.

Best idea walk away and count your loss.

Losers like the bike renter guy will get sorted out by someone some day anyhow.

I have had two bad experiences with farang business providers (one IT guy, one a stock trading adviser) - one just took money and didn't deliver, the other was just unprofessional and knew nothing about the issue he was advising about. Based on my experience and what i hear about other farang business providers i have reached the stage where i never use a farang if a thai can provide the same service/business/product.

With the possible exception of those working on placement for foreign companies, farangs working in Thailand do seem to be astoundingly incompetent and largely dishonest. Personally I dont trust any of them.

I would never buy a used vehicle in Thailand either, regardless of the nationality of the vendor.

I think you missed the most important point.

Wait for a couple of weeks, repost the same story but change the nationality of the vendor, from foreigner to Thai.

And wait for the answers ...

Pff, nationality has nothing to do with it. Dont bring race into it.(I know your not being racist),

My gf has asked me not to do that for fear that I lose my temper with the guy and something ugly might ensue.

Why not go to his shop and confront him ? He is avoiding you.. maybe make a scene ect.

Did you think other farangs were more honest then Thais.. there are bad apples anywhere.

If your a hot head then i would not confront him, im not suggesting violence here. Actually im against violence in any way it can go wrong so quickly. Not only can you get hurt but you migh just hurt the guy serious and end up in jail.

I avoid fighting unless i absolutely have no other choice.

The confrontation would be in his shop and only by words not fists. He is avoiding you so he knows he is wrong.

Thanks for your and others advice. Im going to sleep on it.

Maybe it has been a cheap lesson...

yes, it was a cheap lesson.

from a legal perspective, all used items are sold "as is", i.e. no guarantee.

"buyer beware" applies in Thailand even more than elsewhere. think about the floodings...

don't buy any used items unless you are able to assess their quality or bring someone with you who can.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice. Im not sure what course I will take but thanks for the very wise words from most of the forum. When I think about all the time I have spent thinking about this, I realize I could recoup that money pretty quickly by other means such as doing a few hours of consulting. And today I will spend time with my kid instead of bothering everyone here with my problems. I feel alot better than yesterday, thanks everyone.

A used motorbike does not start easily. That costs 10.000 Baht to fix crazy.gif

So the seller avoids you because he doesn't want to pay 10.000 Baht for difficult to start.

Now you feel cheated...and without checking with a different shop you quickly sell it. crazy.gif

You are correct 10,000 baht. The seller insisted we take it to his shop. They told me 10,000 baht. Then his phone stopped working. I quickly sold it so I can buy a bike I can start in the morning. Understand?

Hope everyone has a nice day.

A used motorbike does not start easily. That costs 10.000 Baht to fix crazy.gif

So the seller avoids you because he doesn't want to pay 10.000 Baht for difficult to start.

Now you feel cheated...and without checking with a different shop you quickly sell it. crazy.gif

Edited by rideswings

I'm sorry to hear you got screwed over it can be very frustrating even if it is only over 4,000 baht its the principle of the matter. I can understand this.

However as the majority have pointed out I think you should just chalk this one down to experience and lesson learned. I don't think any ugly situation is worth 4,000 baht in my opinion.

I've found that sugar in the petrol tank works very well. :rolleyes:

He swore to me that the bike ran perfectly and needed nothing, so I bought it.

C'mon man. That is like a hussy telling you that she would not lie.

I've got the Sydney Harbour Bridge (just been painted) going cheap if he's interested.

Right you are. Got a new Click today.

Thanks again everyone for all the responses.

Accept your loss and move forward, what is TB 4.000 anyway? Not worth the hassle and why didn't you buy a new one in the first place, they don't cost you an arm and a leg!

Thanks again everyone and Im sorry to waste everyones time over 4,000 baht rolleyes.gif

Next time (and there will be one) why not try the rental/purchase system? whistling.gif

Rent the bike/car/house or whatever and then after an agreed period - buy it or not. thumbsup.gif

Works for me. (but I made a lot of similar mistakes getting there). laugh.png

You are not alone.