Need Help From High-End Users Of The Second Hand Book Shops

Gladiator

Hi,

For some time now I have been looking for a second hand copy of:

'Slithering South'

By Steve Van Beek

The book concerns a boat trip down the Ping River commencing at the Bumibphol Dam. If on your travels you happen to see a copy - can you please PM me with the shop and the price.

Many thanks,

Gladiator

Could you please post a review after you have read it?

Thanks!

Sure. I am not sure though as to the quality or as to how objective that might be. To be honest, I had never heard of the book until I started to do some research on cruising down the Ping River. I write for my own amusement and and thought to pen a story - a Thai version based loosely on 'Three Men In A Boat' by Jerome. Google revealed this book and the reviews were so good that it interested me enough to try and obtain a copy.

I have the book. It was an interesting read when I first settled in Thailand. The book was published in 2002, however the author (Steve Van Beek) writes,"It took me 13 years to write this book". So, if you are interested in reading how things used to be, it is a great read. If you are looking for current information, not so much.

I did enjoy the book and found some of the history quite fascinating.

I have the book. It was an interesting read when I first settled in Thailand. The book was published in 2002, however the author (Steve Van Beek) writes,"It took me 13 years to write this book". So, if you are interested in reading how things used to be, it is a great read. If you are looking for current information, not so much.

Thanks for the post.

Initially I was just looking for some background, not necessarily current. Now, the more that I hear about the book the more that I wish to read it for pleasure.

It looks like a great read. I am going to try to place a order at Asia books.

Hello HD,

Did you manage to place the order and get the book? If so I would be interested in hearing your own review.

In my case, thanks to MES, DCO came through with the goods and I received a copy within 3 working days. It is quite a 'tome' but at chapter 4 I am thoroughly enjoying it.

and yes 'zzdocxx' i'll do my best at a review once I have finished reading the book.

I've a book, Blue Book Of Coastal Vessels Thailand that was given to Betty and Ben Alexader from Barbara and Roy Evans in Bangkok on December 1967.

Incredible detail of types of boats in Thailand and surrouding countries. Pages are half in English and half in Thai. Tells how do detect what people could be smuggling and where to look. What kind of fish found and where to fish for them. What to use to catch them.

But really 100's of photos of boats.

I've a book, Blue Book Of Coastal Vessels Thailand that was given to Betty and Ben Alexader from Barbara and Roy Evans in Bangkok on December 1967.

Incredible detail of types of boats in Thailand and surrouding countries. Pages are half in English and half in Thai. Tells how do detect what people could be smuggling and where to look. What kind of fish found and where to fish for them. What to use to catch them.

Ah Mogoso....

Don't tempt me ! I have just had a look at the details of that book and it looks grand!

My heart is by the coast but my family and livelyhood are in the North ! Interesting that it dates back to 1967.

Thanks

Gladiator

• Like 1

Could you please post a review after you have read it?

Thanks!

Slivering South

Steve Van Beek

Subjective Review

At 429 pages this book is quite a tome and as reported by Siverhawk took over 12 years to write. It accounts for Steve's adventures in the mid-80's when he managed to have a boat constructed and went as far as possible in search of the beginning of the River Ping. The story relates of his adventures in paddling the boat down from there to the sea - the hill tribes villagers and other characters that he met and a different Thailand than many of us know today.

I agree that the book is fascinating and compelling reading. More so if you have an interest in either/and/or non-fiction Thailand, boating and thriving on challenge. It also gives an insight to many words, proverbs and phrases of Thai language, some north Thai dialect, that I was unaware of.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and have learnt a great deal.

Gladiator

Asia books didn't have it I think I have ordered it from DCO.

The amount of applications and pay pal not sure what is happening.Live in one country credit card from another country born in another country. See if it gets here Monday.

Just checked it is on it's way. I am a slow reader and a book that size unless it is really interesting will take me over a week.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

Asia books didn't have it I think I have ordered it from DCO.

The amount of applications and pay pal not sure what is happening.Live in one country credit card from another country born in another country. See if it gets here Monday.

Just checked it is on it's way. I am a slow reader and a book that size unless it is really interesting will take me over a week.

Good luck... I hope that you enjoy the book...

Ah Mogoso....

Don't tempt me ! I have just had a look at the details of that book and it looks grand!

My heart is by the coast but my family and livelyhood are in the North ! Interesting that it dates back to 1967.

Thanks

Gladiator

It was put out by a joint US-Thai Military Research and Development Center. They don't go enough into the fishing aspect enough for me, but as it was a wartime book the detection of contraband on ships and how to spot suspicious vessels is understanable. But ship building and where there were seen to operate, care of books etc really cool. We have a house outside of Chiang Mai but I grew up on the water in St.Petesburg, Fl. The sound of waves crashing upon a beach is the most peaceful sound in the world and such a joy to sleep to.

• Like 1