My Travel Ability With Non-O Thai Wife

I'm about to get my non-O marriage visa/Extension of Stay this Wed. (yay) and of course at the last minute I'm wondering about what happens if I leave Thailand to visit Lao or wherever. I'm also looking to get confirmation that I have my check list down pat which is listed below.

Here are my specs below and here's a link to my previous discussion.

I arrived here (BKK) May 28th from the US and live with my Thai wife. We were married in the US 7 years ago and our marriage certificate is US. I am 54 and not retired. I had a 90 day non-immigrant type O Single Entry visa (Thai Wife) issued at the Thai embassy in Chicago that cost $80USD.

We obtained a 60 extension which expires Oct. 23.

I have moved here permanently.

We have a condo here that we live in here in BKK.

My wife is presently well employed and I am looking. I have no WP.

400K is in the bank and is properly aged.

So my question is, does leaving LOS to visit other countries affect my non-O marriage visa (or is it called 1 year extension of stay)?

I'm looking for the least hassle possible in this process (hah!) so having to leave the country as opposed to having the option to visit another country is not what I'm hoping for. I'd just like the option to go visit another country without screwing up my visa or extension of stay.

Paperwork Checklist is:

Printout of 5 photos of us in and outside our condo.

Map to our house. (Google map)

Translation has been done of our marriage license and registered at the Amphur (or however you spell that). A copy of that translation will be brought along as well as our original US marriage license and copies of our US marriage license.

Copies of my Passport including departure card and 60 extension stamp.

Copies of my passport photo.

Copies of my wife's ID, passport.

Wife's House registration.

Copy of my updated bank book and a letter from the bank confirming the amount of 400K is in there dated the day before our visit.

My wife will be accompanying me there as well.

And finally, I assume a copy of the TM. 7 is required as well.

Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks for any help. Without this site I'd totally lose it!

You will have a 12 month extension of stay.

If you intend to leave the country you will need a Re Entry Permit.

Apply at Immigration.

1,000 Baht for a single and 3,800 for a Multi

They might not accept a Google map.

Mine was rejected and a hand drawn one was asked for.

• Like 1

Thank you Lite and JohnG.

What is the ideal map they are looking for?

Re: Re-Entry permit: I get this once I've decided to take a trip, or is it best to get this when I get the extension of stay and pay the 3800 ahead of time? I'm not sure how many trips I will take in a year.

Thanks!

You will have a 12 month extension of stay.

If you intend to leave the country you will need a Re Entry Permit.

Apply at Immigration.

1,000 Baht for a single and 3,800 for a Multi

They might not accept a Google map.

Mine was rejected and a hand drawn one was asked for.

Edited by emanphoto

Best to get at least a single Re-Entry Permit when you do the extension of your Non-O visa. That way you'll be covered if you decide to head up to Laos, for example, on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

Baht 3,800 for a multiple? It's a gamble of sorts.

But, if you opt for getting a single, and use it, I'd suggest, again, trotting over to Immigration and getting another single after you return from your trip. That way you'd be covered for another ad hoc run to another country.

Best to have the "insurance" of a Re-Entry Permit in your passport all the time.

Mac

• Like 1

HAHA!! laugh.png

Thanks TommoPhysicist, that's exactly how I draw!

What is the ideal map they are looking for?

Something that looks like it was drawn by a child, not too detailed.

Remember, a Thai policeman will be the one trying to read it.

That would be the TM. 8 form correct? The form reads in a pretty messed up manner (as shown in the attachment) that I downloaded from http://www.thaivisa....plication-form/

The form I got directly from http://www.inter.chula.ac.th reads the same here. Is my version of Word not compatible or am I missing some font?

Screenshot2012-10-15at52132PM_zps8a4eaa64.png

Best to get at least a single Re-Entry Permit when you do the extension of your Non-O visa. That way you'll be covered if you decide to head up to Laos, for example, on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

Baht 3,800 for a multiple? It's a gamble of sorts.

But, if you opt for getting a single, and use it, I'd suggest, again, trotting over to Immigration and getting another single after you return from your trip. That way you'd be covered for another ad hoc run to another country.

Best to have the "insurance" of a Re-Entry Permit in your passport all the time.

Mac

post-22149-0-43362400-1350297369_thumb.p

Edited by emanphoto

Do not obtain the re-entry permit until you obtain your extension of stay - which will not be on first visit for marriage. You will be told to return in 30-45 days and only after getting that final stamp should you fill out the TM-8 for re-entry permit (unless you need to travel before then) as it only covers your current permitted to stay time.

Form opens fine in Word 2007 and you can fill out - just obtain a form on your visit and fill out for next visit if you can not open.

• Like 1

Thank you lopburi for that clarification.

My wife's PC should be able to handle it as my Mac w/Office 2011 obviously doesn't like that file. I'm glad the TM. 7 is a pdf as there's no issues w/that and Acrobat Pro.

Do not obtain the re-entry permit until you obtain your extension of stay - which will not be on first visit for marriage. You will be told to return in 30-45 days and only after getting that final stamp should you fill out the TM-8 for re-entry permit (unless you need to travel before then) as it only covers your current permitted to stay time.

Form opens fine in Word 2007 and you can fill out - just obtain a form on your visit and fill out for next visit if you can not open.

So once I've gotten the year extension of stay in the next few days, then I can get submit the TM-8, correct?

Is that done on a return trip to the Chiang Watanna Immigration Office or can it be done once I'm handed my year long extension of stay?

Also, if it can't be done the day I receive my year long extension, do I have to go back to the Chiang Watanna Immigration Office or can re-entry permits be obtained elsewhere in BKK?

Thanks!

In my usual panicked state I'm going over my papers and double checking requirements, and on TV, on this page, http://www.thaivisa.com/non-imm-o-marriage.html, it says I need a certified copy of my Passport. "Copy of passport ( with certified true copy )". Eh? This is the first time I've heard of this!

Also my wife is reading that page or links from it, that once all the paperwork has been submitted, I have to return with my passport by myself to get the extension of stay. Is this correct?

Can anyone enlighten me as to what will happen the day we go to get the extension of stay and any info re:the certified copy of my passport which until this evening I've never heard of.

Thanks.

And it is after getting this final stamp 30 days later that getting a re-entry permit is normally done - it can be done at the same time irremediably after getting the stamp.

As said all copies should be signed at bottom by person involved - you both sign marriage certificate copy - you sign your passport/arrival card/financial copies and spouse signs there ID card/home register copies.

• Like 1