How Has Pattaya Changed Since You First Came Here?

thenervoussurgeon

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my first trip in 91 I meet an ex Aussie Vietnam vet. He had been here since the late 60's.

Married a local lass had a family and lived around soi-12 beach rd.

He told me he taught a few of the locals how to play cricket and each Sunday they use to have a

great time playing cricket on beach rd, moving the wickets when a car drove past

I try to get in touch with him in 93 but he moved back to Aust after his wife passed away.

Shame, he was the type of character that attracted me to this city. So happy and loving life here

Unfortunately the place has changed and you dont meet to many people like him.

Uuuuhh... The Billion Bar 30 years ago.....

Naughty, naughty!

uuuuuuh the bald headed gangster with the tats that worked the bar & kept everybody in line.

Pattaya truly was a town of characters.

some great some not so.

Apparently he used to sell 'herbal' ciggies as a sideline.....whistling.gif

First time I visited Thailand was early October 1983. Been through when Second Rd was 2 way street from Pattaya Klang to Pattaya Nua but no sidewalks. Soi Buakow was called soi Shokoprokh cos dirty and no asphalt, Pattaya Klang was dead and hardly no buildings, Foodland was build 1993. Walking Street was called The Golden Mile and from soi 15 to the police box was dark and no activity, it was even scary to walk there. Only one disco,“Marine Disco” and it closed 6 am, there was “Grace” as well but it was quite slow.October 1983 was very rainy and heavy downpours for 3 days,total 480mm and Beach Rd was washed away in 2 places.

You did the shopping at Spinneys in soi Post Office.The going rate for the ladies was 300 Baht long time and the bar fines was 80 baht. The rate was 25 baht to the US $$.We drank Mehkong/coke and my first one was in the bar beside the Big Tree and cost me 15 baht. Lam Morrison played at the Saloon bar and Rod Steward advertising Kloster Beer.

Been through coup in Bangkok, 1993 I think, and Bangkok Post was censored with partly blank pages. PM Khun Suchinda was kicked out of office and ended up near the Cambodia border in a fancy villa. July 1997 started the economic meltdown, and Jan-Feb-98 was a good time to send money toThailand when you got about 53 baht to the greenback and 85 baht to the pound. The interest rate was 12-15%.The land price in Pattaya Tai, soi Kopai, was 2.300baht/twa. Now they ask for 38.000/twa.

It was miles better back then.

Edited by allexx
  • Like 1

When i first came here girls were 500 baht all night but you could barter the price down,and it was always a problem trying to get them to leave in the morning ,i remember being shocked when i went to a bar and a girl came up to me ,she looked young and i asked her age ,14 she said i just thanked her and went to get one of the old uns ,(at least19) and i remember a place called school days ,i think and there were schoolgirls outside calling you in all the girls were so young but i did go out with one about 29 ,when she took me back to her room her daughter about 15 was off out to work in a bar . Every girl i met was looking for a husband to take them abroad ,strange days

Uuuuhh... The Billion Bar 30 years ago.....

Naughty, naughty!

uuuuuuh the bald headed gangster with the tats that worked the bar & kept everybody in line.

Pattaya truly was a town of characters.

some great some not so.

Apparently he used to sell 'herbal' ciggies as a sideline.....whistling.gif

Still do, owned by cops

A bit offtopic but still connected, my father-in-law gave me a couple of rolls of 8mm footage of Pattaya in what I think is early 80's. I'd love to digitize it and if the content is ok, publish it in youtube. Anyone know where I could have it digitized in Pattaya ?

A bit offtopic but still connected, my father-in-law gave me a couple of rolls of 8mm footage of Pattaya in what I think is early 80's. I'd love to digitize it and if the content is ok, publish it in youtube. Anyone know where I could have it digitized in Pattaya ?

I tried to get this done a year or so ago and was told "only in Bangkok"

I first went to Pattaya in 1984, it stretched from Royal Garden Plaza to about half way down Walking Street. The RGP was the Royal Garden Resort in those days. Second Rd was a dirt road, and all the bars were along the sea front. A Singha was 30bt and Kloster was 40bt, there were no other beers on sale. We British got about 32 baht to the £ so it was expensive back then. It was also the first time I got in an air con car and I remember water dripping on my feet from the unit.

The road to Bangkok was 2 lanes wide and you hardly saw an undented vehicle and very few had rear lights, it was astonishing to see so many old and battered unroadworthy cars, lorries and motorcycles in use. Bangkok was a mass of corregated iron sheds and I do not remember any skyscrapers. It took a bit of believing that the iron and wooden sheds were the peoples' homes, We only found out when my pal's girl took us to her home and I remember how shocked and embarassed we were on discovering that people lived in such filth and poverty.

The main road into Pattaya from Bangkok was Beach Rd and the side roads (sois) were empty of bars and restaurants. There was not much to Pattaya North of where the Royal Garden Plaza now stands. Walking St was open to traffic and was known as The Strip. A fish dinner in one of what became those fancy lobster restaurants was 30 baht but back then they were plastic chair and metal table establishments.

Most of the Western tourists seem to be men who worked in the Far and Middle East in the oil and hotel trades. There was a lot more German influence in the town then and most of the fellows we met were German, Swiss and Austrian. One weekend the American Fleet pulled in and the girls went crazy putting their make up on to look their best. The Yankee sailors did not seem to have the restraints imposed upon them that they have nowadays apart from the 'Shore Patrol' and when the Cobra Gold boys come to town. Perhaps some older Americans could comment on this. There were no such things as what we now refer to as the 'Benidorm Fusiliers' and all the tourists behaved in a civilised manner. I do not remember seeing any policemen and only two ladyboys.

The bars were just like they are now except every bar had a VCR showing the latest Hollywood movie. The barfines were 100 bt and the girls wanted between 300 and 500bt and they all stayed with you till the next day if you wished them to do so. My pal and I had a double room in the Royal Garden Resort and they charged us 300 baht to bring a girl back! Should you wish a girl to give you a BJ she would often inform you that Buddha would not approve. There were very few Thai men around apart from hotel and bar staff. Baht buses went up and down the sea front so there was little need for motor cycle taxis. At every bar you would get a girl wipe you down with a cold towel, a shoulder massage and they'd even cut you finger nails. There was absolutely no mention of ST or LT and as most girls lived in very crude accommodation they were only too happy to stay with you as long as possible.

I spent the last 4 days with the most beautiful girl I'd ever met in my life, her name was Mai Lee but when I left I never kept in touch as traveling to the LOS was expensive then and it was not worth going for 2 weeks which was what most of us got in the way of a holiday. We never heard of any crime whatsoever and everyone was courteous and polite. and we had glum faces in the minibus back to Bangkok airport.

I did not go back until 1999 and I had become one of the middle aged/elderly male tourists chasing after younger women who we used to regard with disdain back in 1984. I still go there now but for much longer holidays and in spite of all the negative aspects associated with the place there is still nothing to touch it anywhere in the world. Many of my friends now live there and some are happily married but there are also a lot in their 50s and 60s who will never learn.

Several old sayings are very apt where Pattaya is concerned, "One man's meat is another man's poison", "A fool and his money are soon parted" and " There's no fool like an old fool."

• Like 1

This is a great thread, compared to some people i am new to Thailand, moved to Phuket 97'.

One thing that stands out it the post above ( #43 ) is the fact that the girls were just happy to stay with you. I remember they would be quite content to sit and watch the latest western movie.

Mobile phones we just becoming popular then and there was no obsession with them like nowadays!!

Gold price i recall was about 6000 THB per 1 BHT weight......

At the time exchange rate was about 70 to the pound and life was good, everything & everywhere in the tourist area seems to be a lot more clinical nowadays.

IMO Thailand has in a lot of ways lost it's exotic feel and it's "mojo".

Still beats the real world though!

I first came to Pattaya in 1986. It was much better back then than it is today, and in many ways. Compared to today, Pattaya-Jomtien in 1986 had an exotic feeling; the Thai people were much nicer and more respectful; no crime that I can recall; no hassels from the police; no visa problems; cost of living was much cheaper; beaches much cleaner; no traffic jams; loads of girls who seemed less "hard core and money grubbing" (entire bar scene was much more fun back then w/ fewer farangs and more girls); much better class of farangs (no tatooed head to toe escapes from prison or mental wards); entire scene was far less stressful; there were no real estate vermin on every corner; there were lots of very large shade trees along the beach (most were cut down around 2003). I miss those times. Young people have a hard time relating to statements like I just made because they have no reference point--to them, this is Pattaya-Jomtien! The real estate vermins will never accept that any negative changes have taken place. But many of us who actually lived during the changes know what has happened. We can't go back, and that is too bad.

It's human nature to reminisce about the "good old days". There are many things I think about and miss too. I certainly don't like the hoards of tourists during the high season and in general the more hectic pace. Any charm the city had was lost many years ago, but Pattaya is changing and mostly for the better. Once regarded as the "armpit" of Asia, the Thais are making big strides in getting their act together and we should offer encouragement and also be critical when warranted.

It's human nature to reminisce about the "good old days". There are many things I think about and miss too. I certainly don't like the hoards of tourists during the high season and in general the more hectic pace. Any charm the city had was lost many years ago, but Pattaya is changing and mostly for the better. Once regarded as the "armpit" of Asia, the Thais are making big strides in getting their act together and we should offer encouragement and also be critical when warranted.

I don't think Pattaya will ever lose the "armpit" of asia status, as soon as you mention to anyone that's where you live they immediatly think - PERVERT. ( like it or not )

.... Pattaya is changing and mostly for the better. Once regarded as the "armpit" of Asia, the Thais are making big strides in getting their act together .....

Some people like armpits, and I dont see anything wrong with that.

The notion that everyone and everywhere would be better off without an armpit seems quite deranged to me. Who wants to live in a world where you cant raise your arms?

Obviously, I disagree. The majority of posters here are talking about a real phenonmenon of a place going from good to bad. I strongly disagree that Pattaya-Jomtien is changing "mostly for the better."

• Like 1

MY first visit was 78 for work, didn't like it as much as the PI back then, though I have now lived here over 20 years, Pattaya has changed as have I - some things for the better - shops, & eating places, some things are dismal now - pollution - noise, traffic, filthy unplanned town & a lot of large unsightly women with bad attitudes, but I guess some like them!

Anyone here in the 80's must remember the VD clinics, there were no "Doctors" just VD clinics so no matter what was wrong thats where you went if you were sick, bareback was the norm back then, AIDS hadn't been "invented" so there were a lot of people seeking treatment for venerael diseases............... smile.png

Edited by CGW

Obviously, I disagree. The majority of posters here are talking about a real phenonmenon of a place going from good to bad. I strongly disagree that Pattaya-Jomtien is changing "mostly for the better."

Opinions are like a**holes everybody has one, and you are entitled to yours. I have heard you seldom say anything positive about Pattaya. In my opinion, you are a chronic whiner. Try thinking more positively, you will enjoy life more. Some therapy. See if you can list 10 good things about Pattaya.

• Like 1

Just wanna say thanks to all contributors to this thread, after all these years the place still 'gets me going' verbally if mentioned casually in a pub - I could talk for hours about it. I think we are all very fortunate to have experienced Patt's in the last century - I went there young and because of that there is nothing quite like it in my memory. I have not been to Pattaya in anger for many years, probably stopped around '99. I find it interesting that people refer to the detrimental presence of the Russians and ex-Spanish holiday brits currently, as I remember feeling the same was happening during my last few trips back then. One thing I remember vividly is that you always felt a million dollars inside (some people showed it on the outside) when staying there - I guess it is not like that now? Or are we all getting old and the youth in attendance are having the same craic right now?

On the subject of clientèle - one of the last straws for me was when a japs-eye in a {think it was a Burnley} shirt tried to kick-off around 3pm on Soi 8 because some of us were chatting to 'his lass/bird/missus' behind the Bar.....and I only wanted to get some tips on a clinical Connect 4 finish!

Or are we all getting old and the youth in attendance are having the same craic right now?

I'm 49, coming here since the 90's, living in Pattaya for the last few years, and in my opinon it's as good as it ever was (just a tad more expensive) .

On the subject of clientèle - one of the last straws for me was when a japs-eye in a {think it was a Burnley} shirt tried to kick-off around 3pm on Soi 8 because some of us were chatting to 'his lass/bird/missus' behind the Bar.....and I only wanted to get some tips on a clinical Connect 4 finish!

He he he - yep, a lot of the people here behave like this sad.png but whats a 'japs-eye' ? (in this context).

MY first visit was 78 for work, didn't like it as much as the PI back then, though I have now lived here over 20 years, Pattaya has changed as have I - some things for the better - shops, & eating places, some things are dismal now - pollution - noise, traffic, filthy unplanned town & a lot of large unsightly women with bad attitudes, but I guess some like them!

Anyone here in the 80's must remember the VD clinics, there were no "Doctors" just VD clinics so no matter what was wrong thats where you went if you were sick, bareback was the norm back then, AIDS hadn't been "invented" so there were a lot of people seeking treatment for venerael diseases............... smile.png

The VD Clinic in Pattayaland was there back in 1984 when I first visited although there was no Pattayaland but it was on the corner of what became Pattayaland 1 and is still there now. It is the only business I am aware of in Pattaya that has withstood the march of time. Back then it was the practice of a Singaporean lady doctor so it was rather embarrassing having to avail yourself of her services. The area went on to become the entertainment centre of the town and many travel brochures on Thailand featured Pattayaland in all its glory.

There were some great gogo bars there until around 2003 but as the homosexual influence has expanded from Boyztown there is very little there now to attract those who seek the company of women. The only gogo bar left is Classroom with girls dancing, the rest are ladyboy or boy bars. 10 - 15 years ago you could spend your entire evening in Pattayaland and not have to bother with Walking Street or anywhere else, it was a punter's paradise. The few beer bars that still have girls in them like Palmers and Sue's Place are feeling the pinch and are but a shadow of their former selves. The character of the place is disappearing and for those of us with fond memories of the area It's a shame and quite sad.

The VD Clinic in Pattayaland was there back in 1984 when I first visited although there was no Pattayaland but it was on the corner of what became Pattayaland 1 and is still there now. It is the only business I am aware of in Pattaya that has withstood the march of time. Back then it was the practice of a Singaporean lady doctor so it was rather embarrassing having to avail yourself of her services. The area went on to become the entertainment centre of the town and many travel brochures on Thailand featured Pattayaland in all its glory.

There were some great gogo bars there until around 2003 but as the homosexual influence has expanded from Boyztown there is very little there now to attract those who seek the company of women. The only gogo bar left is Classroom with girls dancing, the rest are ladyboy or boy bars. 10 - 15 years ago you could spend your entire evening in Pattayaland and not have to bother with Walking Street or anywhere else, it was a punter's paradise. The few beer bars that still have girls in them like Palmers and Sue's Place are feeling the pinch and are but a shadow of their former selves. The character of the place is disappearing and for those of us with fond memories of the area It's a shame and quite sad.

Hey Yogi, wasn't that Dr Belem's original clinic ? If i remember correctly thats where she worked out of. Saw her the other day at her clinic opposite Soi 6, not for the same treatment but she is still around. Seems she is being pushed out there as well as the new building around her continues.

One can only hope that the scene goes full circle before we get too old...

I sometimes speculate on where the main groups moved on to - for example, when we first started going the beer bars were full of Scando's and Germans getting their beer fix all afternoon and most were moving on around 5 - 6 PM with a 'tute in tow. They would mainly look like hangovers from a Heavy Metal concert. Once the English moved in en masse they seemed to disappear as a majority and I believe they must have started going to Cambodia or Vietnam to continue there habits as everyone used to say "...is like Pattaya 10/15/20 years ago". A few years later I guess a lot of Brits did the same? Can anyone shed some light on my perception of this, with specifics? Thanks.

Yep those where the good old days & in 20 years from now October 2012 will be talked about as the good old days.

All places change as do we as we grow older.

Personally I cannot decide which is better then or now all I know is i am happy I am still around to experience now.smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

• Like 2

"The only gogo bar left is Classroom"

Unless The Classroom has changed location as far as I recall it was never in Pattayaland.

I believe a couple of the partners originally were involved in a bar named Sweetheart bar that was located on Pattayaland.

"10 - 15 years ago you could spend your entire evening in Pattayaland and not have to bother with Walking Street"

Agreed, in fact 10-15 years ago there was nothing worthwhile to go to WS for, unless your penchant was for Simons cabaret show.

The wilder times were to be found on soi Diamond.

As for how Pattaya has changed.

You no longer have to endure a 4 hour plus bus journey from Bkk via, the clocktower at Samut Prakan, Chonburi and Laem Chabang.

Back then the beer was limited to, Kloster or Singha, if you were lucky you could find draft Amarit.

The place was much more laid back and all about sanook, now its all money driven.

For me personally I remember when the VT time share touts arrived, I though thats the beginning of the end, about the same time the Ozzy guy from The Anzac was murdered on his front doorstep by some Euro scum junkie.

Then the shirtless tattooed wonders started to appear, about the same time the girls attitudes changed, I no longer hear the "its only mickey mouse money" phrase many were uttering back then.

The good old days are right now, this is as good as it will get.

For value for money, hotels, food, drink and ladies company if you desire, Pattaya is the best place in the region.

The drawbacks, <deleted> tourists using Suk rd as their own personal racetrack as they batter up and down it on big bikes, Songkran, more <deleted> tourists.

The benefits, better selection of farang food, still no decent Mexican though.

Edited by rgs2001uk
  • Like 1

Unless The Classroom has changed location as far as I recall it was never in Pattayaland.

Yes, it was in fact in Pattayaland, towards 2nd Rd. I remember a charming young lady there.

Agreed, in fact 10-15 years ago there was nothing worthwhile to go to WS for, unless your penchant was for Simons cabaret show.

Many will disagree w/ this statement.

The good old days are right now, this is as good as it will get.

For value for money, hotels, food, drink and ladies company if you desire, Pattaya is the best place in the region.

Agreed! Except for the traffic and parking problems. I do miss the old TQ2 under Kim Fletcher's management, though his taste in music was sometimes questionable (which probably contributed to his career change, lol). And, speaking of Soi Pattayaland, I miss the bars & restaurants there in their heyday.