How Has Pattaya Changed Since You First Came Here?

thenervoussurgeon

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you say "except for traffic jam & parking problems"

when these two facts at least for me all but exclude leaving the room altogether,

which makes it as bad as it gets

Edited by poanoi

MY first visit was 78 for work, didn't like it as much as the PI back then, though I have now lived here over 20 years, Pattaya has changed as have I - some things for the better - shops, & eating places, some things are dismal now - pollution - noise, traffic, filthy unplanned town & a lot of large unsightly women with bad attitudes, but I guess some like them!

Anyone here in the 80's must remember the VD clinics, there were no "Doctors" just VD clinics so no matter what was wrong thats where you went if you were sick, bareback was the norm back then, AIDS hadn't been "invented" so there were a lot of people seeking treatment for venerael diseases............... smile.png

The VD Clinic in Pattayaland was there back in 1984 when I first visited although there was no Pattayaland but it was on the corner of what became Pattayaland 1 and is still there now. It is the only business I am aware of in Pattaya that has withstood the march of time. Back then it was the practice of a Singaporean lady doctor so it was rather embarrassing having to avail yourself of her services. The area went on to become the entertainment centre of the town and many travel brochures on Thailand featured Pattayaland in all its glory.

There were some great gogo bars there until around 2003 but as the homosexual influence has expanded from Boyztown there is very little there now to attract those who seek the company of women. The only gogo bar left is Classroom with girls dancing, the rest are ladyboy or boy bars. 10 - 15 years ago you could spend your entire evening in Pattayaland and not have to bother with Walking Street or anywhere else, it was a punter's paradise. The few beer bars that still have girls in them like Palmers and Sue's Place are feeling the pinch and are but a shadow of their former selves. The character of the place is disappearing and for those of us with fond memories of the area It's a shame and quite sad.

Hey Yogi, wasn't that Dr Belem's original clinic ? If i remember correctly thats where she worked out of. Saw her the other day at her clinic opposite Soi 6, not for the same treatment but she is still around. Seems she is being pushed out there as well as the new building around her continues.

I don't remember her name but she must be well into her 60s if she is still around. She was a quite attractive and very humourous lady who made light of my ailment. I got a jab in the backside, a beaker full of medicine to drink and a load of antibiotic tablets, was told to drink lots of soda water to 'piss it out' and had to go back to her two days later. She then examined me and said "You OK now, you can get on with holiday". when I explained that my penis hurt she said it was 'Stlain, stlain of penile organ'. It took a while to realise she was saying 'strain' and the encounter was like a scene with Benny Hill when he takes off the oriental fellow with the glasses. The bill was around 700 baht which equated to about 21 GBPs.

Does anyone remember 'Loong John's '?

Near the central road if I recall correctly.

He used to serve up the best Roast dinner in town about 20 plus years ago.

You chose the meat you wanted and then he told you ' we have peas, carrots and cabbage...you can have 2...'

Once i asked for all 3 and he nearly blew a glaswegian fuse.....thumbsup.gif

ps I think he barred me after that....

Does anyone remember 'Loong John's '?

Near the central road if I recall correctly.

He used to serve up the best Roast dinner in town about 20 plus years ago.

You chose the meat you wanted and then he told you ' we have peas, carrots and cabbage...you can have 2...'

Once i asked for all 3 and he nearly blew a glaswegian fuse.....thumbsup.gif

ps I think he barred me after that....

Loong Johns was good food with eccentric service. I miss Dolf Riks too.

when these two facts at least for me all but exclude leaving the room altogether,

Many old timers share your viewpoint. And I can understand it. I have a fondness for the era myself. But, many don't and we do like Pattaya better now than before. Many of us do enjoy having now, for example, internet, Tukcom, and Central Festival. Walking Street is actually much better since it became Walking Street rather than a free-for-all where half-naked idiot roidheads constantly rode in and posed on their loud rented Steeds. The selection of bars, restaurants, services, and retail vendors has vastly increased the choices available. Soi Buakhaow has undergone incredible development w/ a vast array of offerings. Needless to say the real estate rental and buying choices have vastly increased. Cheap beers and wimmen are still available in plenty. In fact, in the old days there weren't happy hours, and a beer in a go-go was always overpriced I thought.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. Just a matter of preference.

Unless The Classroom has changed location as far as I recall it was never in Pattayaland.

Yes, it was in fact in Pattayaland, towards 2nd Rd. I remember a charming young lady there.

Agreed, in fact 10-15 years ago there was nothing worthwhile to go to WS for, unless your penchant was for Simons cabaret show.

Many will disagree w/ this statement.

The good old days are right now, this is as good as it will get.

For value for money, hotels, food, drink and ladies company if you desire, Pattaya is the best place in the region.

Agreed! Except for the traffic and parking problems. I do miss the old TQ2 under Kim Fletcher's management, though his taste in music was sometimes questionable (which probably contributed to his career change, lol). And, speaking of Soi Pattayaland, I miss the bars & restaurants there in their heyday.

Sorry, you and the original poster are correct, my bad memory.

I only went to TQ2 a couple of times, I remember KF being there before he went to the Irish place beside RGP (hope my memory isnt playing tricks again).

Yes his choice of music was somewhat idiosyncratic.

The only places I went to on WS were the Black and White bar, and the Ozzy place Jan or Roo bar, cant remember its name.

The Swiss Chalet was there for food as was the German place with the pigs head.

PL was also good for food, Palmers and The Anzac were where I usually ate.

Many old timers share your viewpoint. And I can understand it. I have a fondness for the era myself. But, many don't and we do like Pattaya better now than before. Many of us do enjoy having now, for example, internet, Tukcom, and Central Festival. Walking Street is actually much better since it became Walking Street rather than a free-for-all where half-naked idiot roidheads constantly rode in and posed on their loud rented Steeds. The selection of bars, restaurants, services, and retail vendors has vastly increased the choices available. Soi Buakhaow has undergone incredible development w/ a vast array of offerings. Needless to say the real estate rental and buying choices have vastly increased. Cheap beers and wimmen are still available in plenty. In fact, in the old days there weren't happy hours, and a beer in a go-go was always overpriced I thought.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. Just a matter of preference.

Yes, now that you mention it i have a functional internet now, which has become essential,

altho part of that stem from the traffic mess. Also have to admit i like the norwegian

caviar at carrefour, and tuk com saves me from having to go to sri racha.

But all in all, i think i would have a better life in Sihanookville by now.

except for the food

MY first visit was 78 for work, didn't like it as much as the PI back then, though I have now lived here over 20 years, Pattaya has changed as have I - some things for the better - shops, & eating places, some things are dismal now - pollution - noise, traffic, filthy unplanned town & a lot of large unsightly women with bad attitudes, but I guess some like them!

Anyone here in the 80's must remember the VD clinics, there were no "Doctors" just VD clinics so no matter what was wrong thats where you went if you were sick, bareback was the norm back then, AIDS hadn't been "invented" so there were a lot of people seeking treatment for venerael diseases............... smile.png

The VD Clinic in Pattayaland was there back in 1984 when I first visited although there was no Pattayaland but it was on the corner of what became Pattayaland 1 and is still there now. It is the only business I am aware of in Pattaya that has withstood the march of time. Back then it was the practice of a Singaporean lady doctor so it was rather embarrassing having to avail yourself of her services. The area went on to become the entertainment centre of the town and many travel brochures on Thailand featured Pattayaland in all its glory.

There were some great gogo bars there until around 2003 but as the homosexual influence has expanded from Boyztown there is very little there now to attract those who seek the company of women. The only gogo bar left is Classroom with girls dancing, the rest are ladyboy or boy bars. 10 - 15 years ago you could spend your entire evening in Pattayaland and not have to bother with Walking Street or anywhere else, it was a punter's paradise. The few beer bars that still have girls in them like Palmers and Sue's Place are feeling the pinch and are but a shadow of their former selves. The character of the place is disappearing and for those of us with fond memories of the area It's a shame and quite sad.

Too bad. I'm 32 and wish I was here when it was better as you said. Guess when I'm an older man I'll have to head to ... ? Cambodia? Africa? Because surely it will be too expensive in 20 years from now.sad.png

Another fond memory i had was for the outdoor bars up by soi 1 in north Pattaya ,one of the bars was run by a policeman his wife and her mother ,the mother used to like me and was always feeding me ,everyone then did seem far more friendly ,but i must admit as a familly man living here it is far better now with all the shops and restaurants ,shame about the traffic ,and its nice to be able to pop up to Bangkok so quickly .

Guess when I'm an older man I'll have to head to ... ? Cambodia? Africa? Because surely it will be too expensive in 20 years from now.sad.png

The aforementioned Sinoukhaville in Cambodia is something I'm hearing more and more often. And Myanmar, but do they have a Pattaya ? There'll always be some place in SE-Asia.

Today I drove from south to Tukcom, it took me 1h to go from Sukhumvit through Tai to there. I can't remember traffic being so bad in low season before. It's becoming a major pain.

It's human nature to reminisce about the "good old days". There are many things I think about and miss too. I certainly don't like the hoards of tourists during the high season and in general the more hectic pace. Any charm the city had was lost many years ago, but Pattaya is changing and mostly for the better. Once regarded as the "armpit" of Asia, the Thais are making big strides in getting their act together and we should offer encouragement and also be critical when warranted.

Obviously, I disagree. The majority of posters here are talking about a real phenonmenon of a place going from good to bad. I strongly disagree that Pattaya-Jomtien is changing "mostly for the better."

Opinions are like a**holes everybody has one, and you are entitled to yours. I have heard you seldom say anything positive about Pattaya. In my opinion, you are a chronic whiner. Try thinking more positively, you will enjoy life more. Some therapy. See if you can list 10 good things about Pattaya.

Some posters who say things like you did remind me of a character in the movie "One Flew Over the Cukkoos Nest." He walked around with a huge smile on his face--totally nuts, because he had no grip on reality, which is always a mixture of good and bad. Chronic whiner? Think more positively? Get some therapy? "Its medication time, medication time........." Pattaya-Jomiten has changed, dramatically. I remember when it was much better than today. You apparently do not. Ten good things about Pattaya? I stated them earlier in relationship to the old Pattaya. As far as today is concerned, I suppose the only positive might be better access to (overpriced) Western food. Other than that, I really do not see any improvements.

So we can conclude that the changes over the years are effecting people differently: some think its better and some thinks its worse.

The people who don't like it: Okay up to you, bye-bye, Pattaya will survive fine without you.

The people who like it: Good for you, still plenty of condos/houses for sale & rent so please help yourself.

• Like 1

Today I drove from south to Tukcom, it took me 1h to go from Sukhumvit through Tai to there. I can't remember traffic being so bad in low season before. It's becoming a major pain.

Amazing here in DYING PATTAYA, eh? Well, this is THE problem and it ain't gon' be solved anytime soon. That's why I stick to my motorbike. Even so, it's gotten so there's hardly room even to park a bike anymore!

Amazing here in DYING PATTAYA, eh? Well, this is THE problem and it ain't gon' be solved anytime soon. That's why I stick to my motorbike. Even so, it's gotten so there's hardly room even to park a bike anymore!

I used to hire a M/C and one evening I went to a bar in Soi 8, This was a few years ago when 7 & 8 were really buzzing and I had to park the bike halfway up the Soi as I could not find an available space anywhere in the vicinity of the bar I was visiting. So all in all it was a waste of time taking the bike out because I could have got a baht bus or M/C taxi and not have had to watch my boozing.

I'd like pattaya changed by the way of city hall buy up every 10th building or so

and turn it into a parking house,

and then impose a law that any new building has to have a floor with parking,

and only then ban parking on roads, freeing up another couple of lanes.

Also impose tax on every car that need to squeeze around in this un-fair city

And publicly impale every corrupt police on half baked evidence :)

Edited by poanoi

Guess when I'm an older man I'll have to head to ... ? Cambodia? Africa? Because surely it will be too expensive in 20 years from now.sad.png

Agreed. I got stuck in traffic too. I didn't know it was a major holiday weekend and all of Bangkok seems to be here.

I married in Bangkok in 1971 and went to Pattaya for a brief honeymoon; Paradise to say the least, open pristine beaches with horse riding in the sand and in the sea. Although I have a long association with Thailand and now retired here, I never returned to Pattaya. I have only one regret - my wife and I didn't buy land.

Amazing here in DYING PATTAYA, eh?

Just because something is busy doesn't mean it's good. It doesn't even mean that it is better than it used to be when it wasn't busy.

It just means it's full of people.

In fact, given the intelligence of the average person and their general notion of "quality", anything that is busy is probably totally dire.

....Ten good things about Pattaya? I stated them earlier in relationship to the old Pattaya....

Gee, I must have missed that. Perhaps you could restate them.

I honestly can only see three positive developments since 1986: 1) better medical care, 2) better access to Western food, and 3) a nice mall (Central Festival). To me, the negative changes far outweigh the positive ones. But, I know you disagree. Fine, no problem.

Amazing here in DYING PATTAYA, eh?

Just because something is busy doesn't mean it's good. It doesn't even mean that it is better than it used to be when it wasn't busy.

It just means it's full of people.

In fact, given the intelligence of the average person and their general notion of "quality", anything that is busy is probably totally dire.

Cancer cells are also very busy, and think about the end result :)