Overstay

Due to some bureaucratic nightmare with some paperwork I have had to stay 3 days longer than I had anticipated which means I will be 2 days over my 30 day visa limit. Is it still 500 baht a day you get penalised at the airport by immigration before you leave Thailand ?

@TheGoose: Of course, that is IF you can make it to the Airport without being "asked for ID" BEFORE you get there . . . . IF you are asked and it then turns-out that you are an "Over-Stayer", you will automatically be taken into custody (jail) and you will be in all sorts of trouble.

The only way to minimize this real risk is to "lay-Low"; don't go out, unless you absolutely have to and pray that you can make it to the airport without being asked for ID before you get there.

It's all about The Goose and The Gander . . . . .

Good luck, my feathered friend !

The chance of being asked for ID is about zero and that anyone would actually see the overstay even less - this is not a police state with ID checks on every block. And overstay of a day or two is not likely to result in eternal damnation.

That said a simple border crossing and return for a new 15 day stay or visit to Immigration to apply for extension (allowing 7 extra days to leave) would be the best and legal alternative.