Can I Apply For Non O-A Visa Without Going Back To Home Country?

English, in my 50s, currently living/working in China and travelling back and forth to Thailand every 4 weeks but as I am never staying more than 1-3 weeks use the visa waiver scheme.

If my current role ends in China (looking likely) and I wanted to stay/retire in Thailand what would be the optimal way to get a Non O-A visa on the basis of retirement.

Can I apply once I am in Thailand on a visa waiver or does it have to be done from outside and if so can I do this from China as I have no immediate plans to return to the UK?

Sorry if these are repeated questions but after reading various links I have some supplementary queries –

The MFA web site under required documents asks for –

Personal Data Form – is this the same as a birth certificate mentioned in the TV pdf?

Letter of verification of lack of criminal record – where/how do you get this?

Medical certificate - from country of application

The MFA site says the last two have to be notarised (would a British consulate notarise a medical form from someone they do not know?). Do all three above items also need to be translated into Thai?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

OA can only be obtained in home country (if legal residence in China Thai Embassy might be able to issue) and is not the normal path for retirement. You can arrive on visa exempt entry or tourist visa and convert to non immigrant O visa of 90 days inside Thailand at an immigration office with proof of 800k in Thai bank account or 65k per month income letter from your embassy or a combination of the two meeting 800k per year and being over age 50. You would then 60 days later extend for retirement (do yearly) and there is no medical/police check/personal data form.

OA can only be obtained in home country (if legal residence in China Thai Embassy might be able to issue) and is not the normal path for retirement. You can arrive on visa exempt entry or tourist visa and convert to non immigrant O visa of 90 days inside Thailand at an immigration office with proof of 800k in Thai bank account or 65k per month income letter from your embassy or a combination of the two meeting 800k per year and being over age 50. You would then 60 days later extend for retirement (do yearly) and there is no medical/police check/personal data form.

Thanks so actually seems easier than I thought. I just need to make sure I have the 800k in the bank early enouigh.

Cheers

I obtained my O-A in Jakarta.At that time I was a legal resident in Indonesia and according to the regulations it is there ,where I have to request (and not in my home country Holland).No problems whatsoever.

I received 365 days stay on my arrival at airport Bangkok.

Edited by dutch

Hi Lopburi3 (post #2)

Would you kindly confirm that it is possible to arrive on visa exempt entry (30 days) and then convert to a retirement visa (non-immigrant OA - long stay) without leaving Thailand, subject to proof of income requirements.

Thanks for your assistance.

Edited by CeeBee

Hi Lopburi3 (post #2)

Would you kindly confirm that it is possible to arrive on visa exempt entry (30 days) and then convert to a retirement visa (non-immigrant OA - long stay) without leaving Thailand, subject to proof of income requirements.

Thanks for your assistance.

No it is not possible to convert to a (non-immigrant OA - long stay)

It is possible to convert to a Non Imm O Visa and then apply for a 12 Month Extension based on retirement.

Providing you meet the income/savings requirements.

As LB says, it is not possible to DIRECTLY convert from a visa exemption to a retirement extension.

Two steps:-

1. Convert from visa exemption to non-o (2k Baht I believe)

2. Extend the non-o for reasons of retirement (1900 Baht)

The only visa that can be called a retirement visa is a non-immigrant OA visa which is really called a long stay visa. This visa requires application at an embassy or consulate in your home country.

A non-immigrant O visa can be issued based upon a person being over 50 years of age which makes them eligible to apply for an extension of stay (not a visa) based upon retirement and being over 50.

Edited by ubonjoe

I am quoting Lopburi #2:

You can arrive on visa exempt entry or tourist visa and convert to non immigrant O visa of 90 days inside Thailand at an immigration office with proof of 800k in Thai bank account or 65k per month income letter from your embassy or a combination of the two meeting 800k per year and being over age 50. You would then 60 days later extend for retirement (do yearly) and there is no medical/police check/personal data form.

This seems to indicate that a visa exempt entry can be converted to a non-immigrant O visa of 90 days inside Thailand. Thereafter this visa can be extended for retirement for one year.

Is this right or wrong?

Edited by CeeBee

I obtained my O-A in Jakarta.At that time I was a legal resident in Indonesia and according to the regulations it is there ,where I have to request (and not in my home country Holland).No problems whatsoever.

Out of interest, from which police force did you get your police clearance?

Assuming it was the Indonesian police, how would they know what your status was in Holland (not that I am suggesting it was bad smile.png ).

Out of interest, from which police force did you get your police clearance?

Assuming it was the Indonesian police, how would they know what your status was in Holland (not that I am suggesting it was bad smile.png ).

"Of course" I received Indonesian police clearance.

I obtained the Dutch police clearance by Internet contacting the city administration where I was registered before my move abroad.I paid through Internet banking and I received the report by registered mail.

To be honest,obtaining the Dutch report was a rather simple action, but with the Indonesian bureaucracy it was less easy.