Thailand To Host Bangkok Grand Prix In 2014: Govt

george

And then imagine giving companies like MCOT or any Thai channel the right to do the live broadcast? They would not have a clue where to point the cameras and then broadcast in low resolution as they do now. Someone better do a huge audit on the logistics if this is to have any success.

Star Sports broadcast all F1 races in Thailand on channels 109 (sometimes 108) and 136 in HD..

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are already too many Grand Prix around the world ...it seems everybody want his GP .... on my opinion its wasting tax money , refurbish the current roads would be a better challenge. Unless a GP will develop for Thais a very good skill in driving ... yeah we can dream !!!!

Do they have a race track already made in Thailand?

I have seen how slow construction is here, unless it is

already made, there is little to no chance it will be ready

for 2014.

There is a house beside my condo that has been under

construction for 18 months .... so far

IMO it is a stupid event for Thailand to host ... money could

be spend on so many better things ... such as education ....

Then again Thai gov't do not want the people educated.

F1 is an event for the rich and most Thais cannot afford

It would bring an additions of 10's of thousands of what you describe as "rich" people into the country which in turn would dump a lot of money into the economy. Also, the Grand Prix is held on city streets and speeds vary depending on the country's street (circuit). I'm not a big fan but lived in LA and have been in Singapore when the events were held. I believe top speed in Singapore is about 185 MPH and Long Beach is 240 MPH..

Think you will find the is max speed of 320km now days from the cars and can be done on all current tracks

Singapore - "top speeds approach 297 km/h (185 mph)" http://www.vivaf1.com/singapore.php

Long Beach "Top speed is around 240 mph" (385 km.h) http://www.sub5zero....-recap-results/

There are no current GP races where speeds reach 240 mph. Long Beach has not been run for donkey's years.

Just think of all the work permits needed. Drivers, crew, staff.. whew.. I wonder how long it will take to get them all? Then there is customs for the cars and equipment.

I think the biggest question will be where, and what facilities will be provided. Korea was supposed to have a Yacht harbor at their purpose built track, and that didn't happen. Plus their track is one of the bumpiest of the purpose built tracks. I think they'll get dropped from the calendar.

Monaco, Singapore, Valencia are all street courses with yacht access. Abu Dahbi is a purpose built track with yacht access. A riverside run would be nice, but there isn't a good place that I know of.

Will prove to be interesting, as F-1 politics usually is.

How long would it take to get the cars out of customs and at how much per car if customs decide the value.whistling.gif

Yes I do know they are temp' imports before you jump.blink.png

No problem here but now the engine size are the same and out put power but more on down force

Are the speeds governed at all? I was just looking at track configurations (http://en.wikipedia....la_One_circuits) and just can't see how a track like AVUS could compare with some of the other tracks that barely have any straight aways. Mind you I have no idea what AVUS actually consists of (could be like skiing on a slope of moguls) but it would seem like the ultimate street race for top speed.

I believe the top speed depends on the track and the rules of the series on what is allowed on the car or design of the car. I'm not sure tracks have a maximum speed limit. F1's are limited by their drag. Open wheels and wing settings.

If it gets too fast they will shove chicanes in. See the 2 chicanes put on the Mulsanne straight at Le mans. Cars (not F1's) were hitting around 240mph it made it diificult for the drivers too judge the much slower speed needed for the corner at the end of it especially at night.

From my limited knowledge of Avus it hasn't been used for years and was mainly used by Hitler to showcase Germanys engineering pre-war with the, for the time, very high powered Mercedes and Auto Unions,

I doubt a modern F1 would reach more than 200mph on a street circuit.

You are absolutely right on the Avus track not being used. It wasn't until just went back to the link that I see it actually shows the seasons the track was used and it was only used in 1-season back in 59. I was never a big racing fan but used to go to a lot of different races as a kid and loved watching all sorts of races live but now not only can't name top drivers but likely never would have heard of them if somebody did mention their names. However, I am very excited about this and really hope it actually happens. I'd love to see a race like this in the streets of Bangkok.

Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know. The one season would be since the start of the world championship in 1950. The track was used for the top level grand prixs before this. I think all pre-war.

In the English version of the article, it's mentioned "in-principle". In the French version, it's written "verbal". The dictionary tells that "verbal" in one language is "verbal" in the other.

Verbal means just they that drunk too much beer and just before to collapsed, Bernie told "OK" but he does not remember about what.

In-principle means that the race should take place.

I HOPE it's "IN -PRINCIPLE" but I'm afraid, it's just "verbal".

http://fr.espnf1.com/fia/motorsport/story/90058.html

Edited by geovalin

China nd Korea wanna lose their contracts coz they are losing money.

Forgot. That is the govs plan.

Bankrupt the country, devalue the baht, then the clan can buy the whole place up on the cheap.

Said it before and got decried.

Watch it happen.

Korea has just extended its contract to continue hosting F1.

Interesting to those of us not familiar ...

Prince Birabongse Bhanudej Bhanubandh (15 July 1914 - 23 December 1985) ... better known as Prince Bira of Siam (now Thailand) or by his nom de course B. Bira, was a Formula One and Grand Prix motor racing driver who raced for the Maserati, Gordini, and Connaught teams, among others. He was also the only Thai race car driver to race in Formula One. Birabongse was the only Southeast Asian driver in Formula One history until Malaysia's Alex Yoong joined Minardi in 2001. http://en.wikipedia....bongse_Bhanudej

My wife told me that Hugo singer is his Grandson or great grandson or related somehow. Any idea on this ?

I was living in Adelaide through its Grand Prix years. It was a hugely successful event, gave the city an international flavour and gave the economy a boost. In its 10 years there it never failed to make money, and was voted best Grand Prix in several of those years. Now in Melbourne, the race fails to make a profit every year, because Melbournians are spoiled for choice and the event is not viewed as "unique", unlike Adelaide. If little old Adelaide can do it, so can Bangkok. However, i am not convinced it would be popular enough to generate a profit.

UPDATE

Thai sports officials are sounding increasingly confident that the Kingdom will host a Formula One Grand Prix in 2014.

If Bangkok does manage to host an F1 race, there will certainly by a lot of local interest, beginning with His Majesty the King, here shown questioning F1 driver Mark Webber about his Red Bull car in December 2010.

2014 F1 Grand Prix “definitely” coming to Thailand, official says.

Thai sports officials are sounding increasingly confident that the Kingdom will host a Formula One Grand Prix in 2014.

If you listen to Kanokphand Chulakasem, governor of the Sports Authority of Thailand, it sounds like a done deal.

Yesterday he said the country would definitely get the green light to stage a Formula One race in November 2014.

The event, to be called the Formula One Grand Prix Thailand, is likely to be a night race.

Although details, including the fee and venue, are still to be finalised, the SAT governor is confident that it will take place in Thailand.

"A contract is likely to be signed later this year," Mr Kanokphand said.

"It is likely to be a one-year deal with an option to extend."

It could be staged at Ratchadamnoen Avenue or Muang Thong Thani, the SAT governor said.

We have been working closely with F1 officials to look for the best site," Mr Kanokphand said.

The government would shoulder about 60 percent of the total cost and the rest would be paid by private companies such as Red Bull and Singha Corporation, he said.

Michael de Santiesteban from Red Bull confirmed interest on the part of his company and said Thailand would certainly be a Formula One host in 2014.

"Concerned parties have been in talks to finalise details," he said

Mr Kanokphand admitted, however, that there are some local details to be worked out. Such a big project must be approved by the government and a public hearing may be needed before any official green light would be given.

Adapted from a story by Kittipong Thongsombat in today's Bangkok Post.

Just think of all the work permits needed. Drivers, crew, staff.. whew.. I wonder how long it will take to get them all? Then there is customs for the cars and equipment.

I think the biggest question will be where, and what facilities will be provided. Korea was supposed to have a Yacht harbor at their purpose built track, and that didn't happen. Plus their track is one of the bumpiest of the purpose built tracks. I think they'll get dropped from the calendar.

Monaco, Singapore, Valencia are all street courses with yacht access. Abu Dahbi is a purpose built track with yacht access. A riverside run would be nice, but there isn't a good place that I know of.

Will prove to be interesting, as F-1 politics usually is.

How long would it take to get the cars out of customs and at how much per car if customs decide the value.whistling.gif

Yes I do know they are temp' imports before you jump.blink.png

Getting them through customs would probably be quicker than in India.

I think by that time, when the "First car policy has been put into action, Bangkok is gonna be into such a heavy traffic congestion, which would be unbearable for Thailand's road infrastructure, which gets even worse IF "the politicians get through with their idea of investing into constructions of the race tracks, AND pitstops.... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

And you all know what more construction on the roads of Bangkok mean, right???? more and more bottlenecks that will last for 24 hours plus all day,.... and not only that. Noise pollution and deafening ear damage is gonna ruin Bangkok people's health and increase their daily stress attitude, while sitting 24 hours plus on public transportation and their cars in Bangkok's future gridlock traffic..... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Typical Shinawatra logic: improve Bangkok,... ONLY BANGKOK's infrastructure, by encouraging more driving and racing events in an overcrowded City clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

In the English version of the article, it's mentioned "in-principle". In the French version, it's written "verbal". The dictionary tells that "verbal" in one language is "verbal" in the other.

Verbal means just they that drunk too much beer and just before to collapsed, Bernie told "OK" but he does not remember about what.

In-principle means that the race should take place.

I HOPE it's "IN -PRINCIPLE" but I'm afraid, it's just "verbal".

http://fr.espnf1.com...tory/90058.html

Well as Bernie isn't French I would tend to believe the English version. Anyway the French language may well not have the term 'in-principle' as it has a very poor vocabulary.

I was living in Adelaide through its Grand Prix years. It was a hugely successful event, gave the city an international flavour and gave the economy a boost. In its 10 years there it never failed to make money, and was voted best Grand Prix in several of those years. Now in Melbourne, the race fails to make a profit every year, because Melbournians are spoiled for choice and the event is not viewed as "unique", unlike Adelaide. If little old Adelaide can do it, so can Bangkok. However, i am not convinced it would be popular enough to generate a profit.

I can't see that many foreigners travelling here to bother with it, but there will certainly be enough local people wanting to go to it, but I imagine it will be half empty grandstands due to the locals not being able to afford the tickets like so many other GP's these days.

Hospitality areas will be full though for the rich.

The Australian govt are seriously considering ditching the Melbourne Aussie GP since it consistently makes a loss. Hosting an F1 is a matter of national pride and there is no shortage of Petrodollar or emerging nations itching to get in on the scene even if it means losing lots of money for the ego trip. It's the same with the olympics, when tax money is being spent you can't put a price on national pride. The FIA know this, so charge top dollar because the list of wannabe's in long. I'm doubtful though that they will run with Bangkok when to other regional cities so close by are hosting.

It will cost big bucks - Bernie Ecclestone and his mob will suck up every dollar they can get. They are beginning to make the old Russian Aristocracy look like responsible citizens. How many ordinary Thais will enjoy it? If it is a street circuit, how will the nearby residents like it? It is likely to be on at the start of the high tourist season, so may deter as many people as it attracts. Once the novelty wears off, I suspect it will cost a motza each year.

I suspect this is as much to increase the tourism numbers and the country profile as much as anything else, but seriously - who wouldn't want an F1 race in Thailand, it would be brilliant.

I heard whispers that Chiang Mai was also in the mix to host an F1 event (scenically more appealing IMO) .......... either or, bring it on. Can we also have a time trial on Doi Suthep as well please :) ........... if you don't ask you don't get

This could start a whole new trend for GP racing, introducing reliability problems. Hitting potholes, stray dogs and chickens, motorcyclists the police stopping Hamilton and asking for 100baht and crash barriers made out of bamboo, because someone ran off with the money for the steel ones. Can you image the electrical cables hanging down over the track and teams using crocodile clips to get power to start the cars?

I have been to the Malaysian GP, cost 7 quid to get in and it was well overpriced, south east Asians are not excitable people, but the new formula may work for them, lots of crashes, 2 dead drivers per race. Be like the Mille Miglia all over again.

• Like 1

I am sorry but this is a bloody joke ! Where will this country find the wherewithall, the infrastructure, the ability to build good enough roads? to highlight but a few. If the government think that they can liken themselves to Singapore or Malasya in this respect they are so far off the mark its not true. What about the traveling public trying to get through Thai immagration at the airports too, God it takes hours even now so how it two short years can this lot sort out all the wide and varied problems that they cant solve now just to say the got F1. Another pie in the sky idea from defacto Taksen and his red shirt brigade. The world will just sit back and laugh !!

Edited by yasorab
  • Like 2

Not every Thai dislikes the F1 GP my wife has been to quite a few GP’s around the various F1 circuits and has been going over to the British Grad Prix on a regular basis for several years now, think of all the $ the bars will make and also Hotels and bar girls, and it could help Thailand with the tourist numbers might boost them to over 15’000000 visitors

Another step forward for Thailand on the world stage and no doubt it will be seen solely as a doom and gloom issue by a significant number of posters..

Nisa, I admire your optimism, but I would place a large wager on it not happening. As already noted by others, a significant fee is payable, and I cannot see this government agreeing to such a fee.

There is also very little chance of Thailand getting things in place by 2014. Pass me a very large slice of humble pie if they pull it off, but I very much doubt it...!

This idea has floated around different sections of the newspapers for months. Remember the delegation that was going to meet with the F1 brass in September at the Singapore race? There is no quote from Bernie or anyone else connected to F1. There are many hurdles to securing a race and this BS has not even been approved by the raft of ministries and the government necessary to get the ball rolling. Think Bangkok Eye and high speed rail as an example of the bile that is spewed by the various ministries every month in a attempt to keep relevant.

Then there is the corruption... Floods... Civil unrest...

I would love to see a race here but it's not going to happen.

This idea has floated around different sections of the newspapers for months. Remember the delegation that was going to meet with the F1 brass in September at the Singapore race? There is no quote from Bernie or anyone else connected to F1. There are many hurdles to securing a race and this BS has not even been approved by the raft of ministries and the government necessary to get the ball rolling. Think Bangkok Eye and high speed rail as an example of the bile that is spewed by the various ministries every month in a attempt to keep relevant.

Then there is the corruption... Floods... Civil unrest...

I would love to see a race here but it's not going to happen.

You better pray it's not gonna happen, but instead the government should focus on creating other things like "flood resistant rice", "cars growing on trees" or whatever giggle.gifgiggle.gif

The Australian govt are seriously considering ditching the Melbourne Aussie GP since it consistently makes a loss. Hosting an F1 is a matter of national pride and there is no shortage of Petrodollar or emerging nations itching to get in on the scene even if it means losing lots of money for the ego trip. It's the same with the olympics, when tax money is being spent you can't put a price on national pride. The FIA know this, so charge top dollar because the list of wannabe's in long. I'm doubtful though that they will run with Bangkok when to other regional cities so close by are hosting.

The Melbourne GP lost $55 Million AUD last year......

May I suggest to hold the GP in Pattaya, if I close my eyes I can see the GP already : Banglamung => Naklua => Beach Road => Walking Street => over the hill back to Second Road, left at Soi 6

Can't wait.....

During Songkran festival would be great!whistling.gif a little slippery just like the proposal to host GP in Thailand.cheesy.gif