Thailand To Host Bangkok Grand Prix In 2014: Govt

george

This is going to be fun, if it does go ahead.

Does Bernie realize just how many palms he will have to grease...

There must be something lost in the translation.

I very much doubt he got into the position he is in now without greasing many, many palms.

Yeah probably. Everytime his ex patted him on the head.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do they have a race track already made in Thailand?

I have seen how slow construction is here, unless it is

already made, there is little to no chance it will be ready

for 2014.

There is a house beside my condo that has been under

construction for 18 months .... so far

IMO it is a stupid event for Thailand to host ... money could

be spend on so many better things ... such as education ....

Then again Thai gov't do not want the people educated.

F1 is an event for the rich and most Thais cannot afford

It would bring an additions of 10's of thousands of what you describe as "rich" people into the country which in turn would dump a lot of money into the economy. Also, the Grand Prix is held on city streets and speeds vary depending on the country's street (circuit). I'm not a big fan but lived in LA and have been in Singapore when the events were held. I believe top speed in Singapore is about 185 MPH and Long Beach is 240 MPH..

Think you will find the is max speed of 320km now days from the cars and can be done on all current tracks

I have seen max speed over 330km but not on every track (monaco is slower)

Here you can check on this:

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2012/876/7105/speed_trap.html

Quickest track is Italy, at time

• Like 1

When these people will start to realize that this country is still a third world country. They should try a buffalo race - like the bulls race in Spain.

I could have sworn I got caught up in one this morning on the highway. :(

From reading the full article it sounds like it will be a street circuit. If Singapore is anything to go by it will be a night time event to accommodate the european audience. If they follow the manner in which Singapore conducts the race it could be a big money spinner for the government and the economy in general. From memory it cost Singapore $120 million to construct the infrastructure etc and they got that back in year one. The government put a 30% loading on every hotel room booked during the week of the race.

A big problem will be traffic. Singapore track roads are closed for 6 weeks for normal traffic. How are they gonna do this in Bangkok?

Get the red shirts to organise it - they are pretty good at that sort of thing tongue.png

Singapore pays a hosting fee 1.2 billion baht ($39.2 million) per year.

They gonna need very deep pockets to pull this off.

But heck, the taxpayer shoulders a largest chunk anyway.

Like Mr. Plod sick.gif said in his statement regarding the projects against the drought in Isaan: "There is no importance of the amount those projects will cost - as the taxpayer will be paying for it". What a clever man! clap2.gif

As it is well known Mr. Ecclestone, owner of F1, is one of the most corrupt persons around this planet. So I am shure he will fit very well with the Government of LOS and the administration of BKK to find a way that each one will get a good profit - just the tax-payer is the looser, once more.

And don't forget to give a wildcard for this race to this famous Red Bull killer heir with his Ferrari ... for him it's only one more race in BKK. Probably just a problem with ths doping control after race --- too much alc and other drugs.bah.gif

When these people will start to realize that this country is still a third world country. They should try a buffalo race - like the bulls race in Spain.

I could have sworn I got caught up in one this morning on the highway. sad.png

I can assure that I got caught up in one, on the Highway 24 half way between Korat and Ubon not so long ago.

Just think of all the work permits needed. Drivers, crew, staff.. whew.. I wonder how long it will take to get them all?

They would be exempt from needing work permits under a few different criteria.

When I have done short-term work here I have been given a temporary work permit after application at the airport.

Sorry to digress..but

Really you apply at the airport ?....you must be the only Farang who has ever worked in Thailand that has ever got a a temporary WP by applying at the airport...a temporary WP comes from the department of labour...

Melbourne, Australia want to off load thier grand prix so I guess Thailand will take that one. The State Government of Victoria says it costs the tax payer around 75 million AUD to host for little return.

I thought it is only 2 years ago that their were talks of the bigger teams to withdraw from F1, which would have been the end of the circus, due to the high costs in this economic downturn.

Just think of all the work permits needed. Drivers, crew, staff.. whew.. I wonder how long it will take to get them all?

They would be exempt from needing work permits under a few different criteria.

When I have done short-term work here I have been given a temporary work permit after application at the airport.

Sorry to digress..but

Really you apply at the airport ?....you must be the only Farang who has ever worked in Thailand that has ever got a a temporary WP by applying at the airport...a temporary WP comes from the department of labour...

I think he is saying he got an "urgent and essential" work permit which my understanding is actually an exemption from a work permit and is only good for 15-days. I have never got one but as I understand it, you do get them at the airport but could be wrong on this. Tried to do a search on Thai Visa to provide a link but oddly didn't come up but there are links on Google ... but again not certain but I think this can be given at the airport.

But the bottom line being (staying on topic) is the folks coming here to work in the Grand Prix, are not going to be hassled about Visas and am sure the process will be very simple and if anything these guys will get VIP treatment coming into the country and not additional headaches over what a 30-day visa exempt person would experience.

Edited by Nisa

I think he is saying he got an "urgent and essential" work permit which my understanding is actually an exemption from a work permit and is only good for 15-days. I have never got one but as I understand it, you do get them at the airport but could be wrong on this. Tried to do a search on Thai Visa to provide a link but oddly didn't come up but there are links on Google ... but again not certain but I think this can be given at the airport.

But the bottom line being (staying on topic) is the folks coming here to work in the Grand Prix, are not going to be hassled about Visas and am sure the process will be very simple and if anything these guys will get VIP treatment coming into the country and not additional headaches over what a 30-day visa exempt person would experience.

I know I am going off topic...but an "urgent and essential" WP the 15 variety is not an exemption...its a WP (not the blue book) and its most certainly not applied for or given at the airport...it comes from the DOL...I know this as fact as the company I work for brings people in on them all the time for "urgent and essential" work....wink.png

But back to the topic for the purposes of the grand prix one assumes they would infact be exempt as this is a sporting event.

I know I am going off topic...but an "urgent and essential" WP the 15 variety is not an exemption...its a WP (not the blue book) and its most certainly not applied for or given at the airport...it comes from the DOL...I know this as fact as the company I work for brings people in on them all the time for "urgent and essential" work....wink.png

But back to the topic for the purposes of the grand prix one assumes they would infact be exempt as this is a sporting event.

I did find a link here (http://www.thaivisa....t/page__st__150) although it appears more of an advertising info page for Sunbelt Legal and it does appear this wouldn't be issued at the airport as you say but it is considered an "Exemption from Work Permit" though obviously a permission to work which by definition would "permit" you to work.

But back to the original question, I too am clueless now how somebody can get permission to work at the airport. I had incorrectly assumed since it was an exemption it was handled the same way as a 30-day visa exempt traveler and instead of 30-days you got 15-day stamp but clearly that is not the case.

To keep this on topic ...F1 being exempt from work permits at least means they won't have to deal with any of this.

Edited by Nisa

Certainly this would be a huge and desperately needed booster for the Thai economy. I also believe they would pull it off because now we are talking serious money and then - all of a sudden - the authorities would move their a$$es in sheer anticipation of the incoming cash Tsunami...

The only thing that worries me, respectively makes me NOT holding my breath is the introductory phrase saying: "Thai government claims to have struck deal to host..." Given this, I think it's too early to celebrate just yet...

Certainly this would be a huge and desperately needed booster for the Thai economy.

Could you please explain in which way a F1 race boosts the economy in any country in the world.

It is a known fact that a F1 race doesn't earn money, it only costs money. Handsfull of it.

• Like 2

Again, many pessimistic submissions from members - how sad, or perhaps they are all depressed at sitting at home all the time? This could be a great money earner for Thailand, both in direct and indirect income and as one writer observed, Singapore recouped it's costs in infrastructure in one year, thereafter, it is money in the Bank for the Country (and yes, yes, we know all about corruption). These F1 Races are big Corporate events and that means mega bucks being spent by the likes of the Blue Chip Companies, not to mention bringing many people to Thailand for the first time, who will become frequent returners. I also see Red Bull ideally placed to be heavily involved in this with their significant F1 experience. As for preparing the venue, particularly the Member who has been watching the house next door being under construction for 18 month; I built seven houses in six months and the builder was Thai and a cracking job he did too! Mind you, I did write a Contract (in Thai) and invited him to name his completion date, with the proviso, if he over shot the date there would be heavy financial penalties.

I think this is a great idea for Thailand and I am sure they can pull it off and be highly successful, in many ways.

Spot on. The Grand Prix isn't just a car race, it is the car race. I am not a petrol-head, but i will never forget my first Grand Prix. I was fortunate to attend in a corporate facility about 3 metres from the track. Awesome. Adelaide has a population of just over 1,000,000 and the attendance was 200,000 over the four days. However, hotels were fully booked for over a month, Retail and hospitality outlets were booming and it was really one big party. Great for Adelaide, great for the economy and, i believe, great for Bangkok....bring it on!

• Like 1

Certainly this would be a huge and desperately needed booster for the Thai economy.

Could you please explain in which way a F1 race boosts the economy in any country in the world.

It is a known fact that a F1 race doesn't earn money, it only costs money. Handsfull of it.

Would you be so kind to explain to me from where you got the idea that "it is a known fact" that hosting F1 races only costs money? Did you read this in the 10 Baht comic books you're buying for your girlfriend? Or somewhere in a public toilet perhaps?

I.e. Singapore reels in around 120m USD extra in tourism revenue per year per F1 weekend.

If there would be no money to be made with it, F1 would most likely take place in Chernobyl...

Edited by catweazle

One thing it would do it bring tens of thousands of additional visitors to Thailand who have disposable income. When this story first came out I recall seeing some articles that I believe said Singapore saw an additional 40,000 International Visitors that came for the event and believe and generated an additional $100 Million in international tourist receipts with an expected revenues to double that. Keep in mind that Thailand has said that 40% of the fees are coming from sponsors and less we not forget that money is collected in ticket sales and that a bunch of local companies and individuals will be hired to support this event. I'm sure there are many other aspects but things like this is an advertisement for the country too and although it may not pull in as many visitors as the movie The Beach, it is going to be an advertisement for Thailand and if during the events they can get people talking about Thailand and showing some shots of beaches and stuff it could be a huge boost to tourism. Generally speaking a government in situations like this is not looking to turn a direct profit but it does bring additional revenue and jobs which in turn helps the economy and general moral.

Edited by Nisa

Would you be so kind to explain to me from where you got the idea that "it is a known fact" that hosting F1 races only costs money? Did you read this in the 10 Baht comic books you're buying for your girlfriend? Or somewhere in a public toilet perhaps?

You could start with post # 159, but if you insist i do a quick google tomorrow and it i could probably give you 20 ideas , as that is the number of races in the 2012 season.

Oh and by the way, I don't have a girlfriend. They also only cost money smile.png

Edited by jbrain

I.e. Singapore reels in around 120m USD extra in tourism revenue per year per F1 weekend.

If there would be no money to be made with it, F1 would most likely take place in Chernobyl...

Ok, so you have an estimated figure about the extra tourism figure , in Singapore, which is a completely different piece of cake compared to Thailand.Singapore attracts a different kind of tourism / tourists. The price of a hotel for example is 5 fold of a similar hotel in Thailand, so are prices of food and drinks a lot higher.We're talking about revenue, not profit.

Then, do you also have figures about the actual cost of such a race for the country, because 1200.000.000.000 is only the hosting fee?

How much do you estimate it will cost to make the roads in Thailand " acceptable " for a F1 race? Building a controll center and paddocks for the cars?

Organisation of the race? Publicity? Palm greasing? Pocket filling ?

You should understand that this is not a race weekend on Bira.

Ok, so you have an estimated figure about the extra tourism figure , in Singapore, which is a completely different piece of cake compared to Thailand.Singapore attracts a different kind of tourism / tourists. The price of a hotel for example is 5 fold of a similar hotel in Thailand, so are prices of food and drinks a lot higher.We're talking about revenue, not profit.

Then, do you also have figures about the actual cost of such a race for the country, because 1200.000.000.000 is only the hosting fee?

How much do you estimate it will cost to make the roads in Thailand " acceptable " for a F1 race? Building a controll center and paddocks for the cars?

Think you have written yourself in a kind of tunnel-view frenzy here... Too tired to continue for now fighting over unlayed eggs... good night! No girlfriend, huh? Best regards to your right (or left) hand then smile.png

Think you have written yourself in a kind of tunnel-view frenzy here... Too tired to continue for now fighting over unlayed eggs... good night! No girlfriend, huh? Best regards to your right (or left) hand then smile.png

No it's no tunnel view, as I understand where you come from.

Of course all those infrastructure makes the economy run, but don't forget the corruption involved in this country, so who will be the winner at the end.

Wait, who pays for al those one time use infrastructures? I know it isn't Bernie, and it also isn't Chalerm, Yingluck or the man from afar.

As another poster said already, F1 can be compared with the Olympic games.especially in the case of Thailand as it was mentioned in the OP already that it probably will be a one time event.

It costs a lot of money and it will give no return, or do you want to say that London, Greece, China or so many other country's came out of the olympic organisation as winners?

Now where is my f***ing doll ? biggrin.png

Edited by jbrain

If an F1 car can bring 100,000 on to the streets of Bangkok I just think how many will come for the F1, When you conceder the extra thousands of overseas visitors flocking to Bangkok for the event, it is not the few thousand Baht they spend on the race tickets that counts but the other money they spend on hotels, transport, meals and entertainment , most will probable spend a couple of weeks in Thailand and most Thais will be looking forward to cashing in on it.

The one thing I am sure of is Thailand's hospitality will make it one of the popular venues on the F1 calender.

• Like 1