Murder At Lai Thai Guest House Kotchasarn Road

NormanChomsky

2 months ago I went by bicycle from Chiang Mai to Ko Samui. I spent 15 days in 14 different accomodations. I didn't have my passport with me, only my Thai driving license. I was asked to identify myself at about 7 hotels, DL was always accepted (and sometimes copied). Easy to get a false one at e.g. Khawsan Rd.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They done a wonderful job in seeking justice for this poor woman and should be thanked with gratitude and appreciation for their work, not criticised.

But could they not be a little more sensitive? Note the giggling lieutenant/captain at 6:38 and the relatives sat quietly behind (including young daughter by the looks). Cultural differences aside, that is just off, no?

A few months back I was hit by a car and as I lay in the road a crowd of teenaged girls gathered behind me. I was clearly banged up and became furious to hear them constantly giggling. Finally I turned and asked what was so dam_n funny. They immediately apologized to me and said they never thought it was funny. Later a friend explained to me that Thais will laugh in very serious situations and it is a nervous reaction of some sort.

My point is, there seems to be a cultural difference that we're talking about here. I don't think the giggling that everybody is talking about means what you think it means.

+1

Otherwise, the continued prurient interest in this awful murder is appalling !!

Edited by Mapguy

If we're suppose to be so senstive about "cultural differences", then I think the Thai people should also realize the need for sensitivity works both ways.

Sorry but your reasoning is flawed Nancy. It's fine if a Thai is in another country and sees and recognizes different cultural sensitives and adapt. However, you can not expect the average Thai to know about these differences of other countries, they've lived their life under one cultural roof. As you and beb mentioned, they did change their posture after being sounded out at the cost of their embarrassment and loss of face. Of course we see things through our own cultural glasses but it doesn't mean they see it as we do unless it is brought to their attention.

Fully agree. More than a +1.