Road Trip.

dogpoo

I am off on a road trip at the end of this month, Phuket to Udon Thani to my mates house and newly built bar on the side of his house, I know the road up to Cha Am is very poor in places but what can I expect north of Bangkok, waiting for my Givi top box and bracket which will be here within the next couple of days for the CBR250R, love driving a bike in this country and hoping to see lots of great scenery on the trip, anyone done this trip before?

G'day doggie stuff

Haven't done the same trip as you by bike but travelled quite a bit of the way by car. Looks like you will going via Saraburi, Korat, Khon Khaen, Nong Bua Lamphu up the Route 2. I've usually found the roads up there to be good on the whole. Obviously there will be the occasional roadworks and potholes but in the main it ain't bad. Also did Chonburi to Phuket several years ago, again by car. There was a seventy Kilo or so bad bit but the rest is ok. Obviously there may be an alternative route than the one I suggested that you are considering.There is also the occasional police speed trap, one guy stopped me several times and said ah Farang saluted and waved me on. Others were 200 Baht. I have a seperate wallet with license and 200 baht in it for those occasions. Only other tip is to drink plenty of water and sports drinks en route.

Safe Ride

Aitch

Don't know what bike you will be on, but a very good tip is to wear something bright and visible so that people can see you...

Often on road trips you will find your mind wandering, not fully focused on what is going on in the road ahead of you. Make sure that you take your time, focus as much as possible on the road and let other people see you... Take a few rests as well to make it more enjoyable... Safe trip...

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, it now seems my gf is not happy for me to drive all that way by motorbike( even though if I am killed she will get 5 million bht, she's very considerate lol so looks like it will be air Asia!! Maybe plan a few closer trips on the bike in the near future.

Don't give in ! Be a man ! I have ridden all around Thailand and loved every minute of it. I still do. just don't be in a rush to get anywhere and you will be fine. Good maps are cheap and readily available as is sat nav these days. I would do it in a 2 - 3 day trip depending on your time constraints. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the replies, it now seems my gf is not happy for me to drive all that way by motorbike( even though if I am killed she will get 5 million bht, she's very considerate lol so looks like it will be air Asia!! Maybe plan a few closer trips on the bike in the near future.

Oh good grief

I'd dump any girl who said I not ride.

by far over 90% of accident are within 20 km of home

Thousands of people are riding all over Thailand every day

In Thailand, motocycle is the number 1 way to get from point to point

Oh good grief

I'd dump any girl who said I not ride.

by far over 90% of accident are within 20 km of home

Thousands of people are riding all over Thailand every day

In Thailand, motocycle is the number 1 way to get from point to point

No my gf is not stopping me from doing this trip, I have driven many thousands of Kms since being in Thailand without any problems, I am my own person and do what I want when I want, yes I have considered my gf's feelings but the reason I am not doing this trip at the moment is purely because my friend from Udon Thani is now coming to Phuket next month, I still intend doing this trip as I love driving bikes here, I doubt there would be many people who would dump there wife or gf at being asked not to do something, for me I consider there feelings before still doing what I want, this now gives me he opportunity to add a few more extras to the bike before doing a road trip which will now be after Xmas, shorter trips for now are still very enjoyable!!

• 1 month later...

I live in Khon Kaen and would love to do the return trip with you, but my 8 year old Phantom and decrepit body would struggle to keep up. But advice from and old guy,..... do it mate.

There are sections of highway 2 that are bit bumpy, but really good ones too and the demarcation is pretty distinct, plenty of time to slow down, I did the trip by truck a few years back, split it up over 3 days, so 3 days minimum I would say, for a bike.

I assume you will doing 80km/hr+ so you can stay out of the motorcycle lanes, which can be a pain with potholes and cars emerging.

I will have to settle for something shorter on the Phantom.

Good luck....

PS The guy who get killed on bikes are either drunk, or young and reckless and it mostly happens in towns, assume the other road users are all fuc_king useless and you will be fine, but do it..

• Like 1