Where Can I Buy A Big Orange Pumpkin?

timmyp

I'm amazed that someone hasn't asked this before. Is there somewhere in Bangkok that sells big orange pumpkins? Of course for carving to celebrate Halloween. I searched on the forum, and was really surprised that there are no posting about Halloween pumpkins.

Even southern Japan had pumpkins for Halloween... there's gotta be a place in Bangkok, no?

you are wrong about there not being a posting about this because I did 2 years ago. Basically they don't grow em here like they do back home, so the closest thing you'll get is at villa markets, and don't be afraid to ask the staff for any back stock.

I'm not American so never specifically hunted for large pumpkins, but I have seen a few over the years. Google image search for "pumpkin Thailand" etc suggests they're around, and there's apparently a JimThompson farm that grows them - or at least has at some point. I'd probably try high end supermarkets etc first (assuming they're not common) - Villa, Emporium etc... Or do some online research, send some emails etc.

Well, if anyone can find previous pumpkin posts, please paste the link! I agree, kblaze, it sure makes sense that others would have been asking on this site, but my searches turned up nothing.

Searching on "pumpkin bangkok" etc. just turned up a whole lot of unrelated info, mostly on paper decorations.

As recommended by phutu, I dropped by Villa this evening and found what a was looking for: A medium-sized pumpkin for a hefty 1137 baht. Yeah, I bought it. Obviously there are people desperate enough to fork out the cash.

Please let me know if you have information on other pumpkin dealers.

Or, if you know of any good pumpkin substitutes? Coconuts might be good for carving. Durian would work if the outside wasn't so bumpy... All suggestions welcome!

To carve a coconut you'll need some heavy tools like a butcher's knife, the balance between power and precision needs a lot of practise. With power tools ought to be easier. A large watermelon could make a nice candle, easy to carve.

It was the Villa near the Prom Phong BTS station. They only had one pumpkin. I don't know if they had lots and that was the last one, or if it was the only one they were selling.

Carving a watermelon sounds like a good idea, thanks for the suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this is too late but I don't come here often anymore. Might help you pre-order for next year. When I suggested a google search, I did say google IMAGE search, which is one of several options I often use when standard searches fail to turn anything up. Other options are limiting searches to Thailand sites only, and/or searching for something like "pumpkins site:.th" (which is rather limiting (ie sites using thai registered domains only) and unrewarding in many cases, but sometime you hit the jackpot). Then there's bing etc. I rarely go past google myself.

Sometime you just need to find a photo that looks like it was taken in Thailand or has Thai people in it, and if it's posted on a forum or image hosting site or other site with a comment or feedback option, try asking some questions on the thread/page. Obviously depends on your time and level of desperation how far you go - and pumpkins probably not a great example.

And if you ended up getting too many results for green pumpkins on google you can always click the orange button to filter results. Google and other search tools can be incredibly powerful if you scratch below the surface.

Enlisting a Thai or someone every fluent in written Thai can also help you when all English language dead ends have been exhaused. Even if they can't find it online, this country is full of young university educated people willing to go to great ends to please and often willing to use their network of friends (and sometimes privileges like being able to buy goods at commissaries), especially if you offer a small financial incentives or otherwise return the favour.

For a pumpkin at Halloween time, I might have just tweeted the US embassy or ambo or gone to their forum (I think they have one). Or any other resources targetted for merkans based in Thailand, especially places where you might find housewives or families.

Anyway, few links I found quickly via image search that showed some promise. Follow up searches and probably further effort required to get anywhere.

http://www.tour-bangkok-legacies.com/Bangkok_Travelbug-February11.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ursula_bkk/5813500559/

http://www.tedoo.eu/2011/08/18/2747/bangkok-backyards-2-lord-of-the-pumpkins.html