What If An Ed-Visa Holder Abandon His Language Study ?

Hi,

Can a 1-year- Ed-visa ( valid from January 2012 to December 2012 ) holder abandon his language study and go back to his country this October 2012 because of urgent family matter ?

Will he have any immigration problem if, for example, in May 2013 he is visiting Thailand for 1 month holiday ?

Thanks

no you would have no problems at all, but a good way to do it would be to get a letter from the school informing Immigration you are leaving the course, then take this letter to the local immigration office, you should get a grace period if on an extension, if on a visa then you just leave and do not worry about it.

• Like 2

Duiater, you say "1-year- Ed-visa", which commonly means a visa – obtained form a Thai consulate or embassy – valid for multiple entries into Thailand from its date of issue.

If your current permission to stay stay will still be be valid on the date of your departure you will have no problem leaving Thailand and you will have no problem travelling to Thailand in future.

• Like 2

As soon as you leave Thailand without a reentry permit your ED visa extension of stay is voided no matter how much time was left on it, and no longer a concern. At that point it has expired, and you can no longer enter Thailand on that visa extension no matter what. You would have to start over getting a completely new ED visa, and extension if you were continuing your studies, even under the same program that is still valid at your school. As such it has no influence at all on future entries into Thailand, except in the case of getting more ED visas. It would still count on the 3 year ED visa restriction.

• Like 1

@koolbrez

You say " It would still count on the 3 year ED visa restriction

What is "3-year visa restriction? Do you mean if in May 2013 I want to study Thai language, I will not be able to get Ed visa anymore ?

This Ed visa is the first student visa I have.

Thanks

According to my experience, as long as you have submit reenter visa (1000 bht fee for single enter), then you are allowed to aboard not more than your 3 months current valid visa extension, in my case last time i just 1 week apply my 2nd 3months extension so i was be able stay in my home country almost 10 weeks.

and back to Thailand all was OK, but i have to prepare for my next papers to get my 3rd extension.

Good Luck

There is a restrcition based on the course itself. A school has to have its courses approved, part of the approval process is the level till what they teach at that school. That determines how long you can study at a school.

But you can always change to another course and get a new ED-visa with extensions based on your new course.

The rules changed on ED visas 3 years ago, after a man in Pattaya went in for his 10th visa, 10 years on an Ed visa studying Thai, and he could not understand the simple hello, how are you questions the official asked him in Thai.

Now it is required that you take a simple verbal test at the ministry each year in order to renew, and can only get an ED visa for 3 years total to study Thai.

• Like 1