I Want To Convert My 60 Day Tourist Visa To Retirement Visa

My friend is currently living in thailand and has a 60 day tourist visa.He has been making visa runs for some time now. He is a US citizen and wants to acquire a retirement visa. What is the process for him to convert the tourist visa to a retirement visa here in Thailand

Thank You for all your help as this board is an invaluable resource.

If he has the age and proofs just go to immigration and convert to a non immigrate visa at a cost of 2,000 baht using retirement and the proof you have as the reasons. You then can extend the non immigrant with another form and 1,900 baht. Believe if you have the paperwork ready they are more than willing to do this but it is a fairly new system. The old method would be to go outside of the country and come back with a non immigrant O visa (Penang best for that).

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA STATUS ALTERATION. (NON-O) FOR RETITEMENT PURPOSES.

Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Copy of passport entries.

4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

Application fee of 2,000 baht.

A bank statement from a bank in Thailand showing that the applicant has an account of not less than 800,000 bath. Or

A guarantor-letter from The Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension of the applicant not less than 65,000 baht per month.Or

The total amount of money from the pension and bank account as stated above.(800,000 baht)

Remarks

The Applicant must sign every page of application.

The visa Applicant must arrange the documents in proper order and must prepare the originals as proof.

Call 02-2873101-10 ext.2237 for details.

Application for further stay to spend the remainder of life in the

Kingdom of Thailand

Required Documents

Immigration form 7 (Tor mor 7)

Copy of passport

4 cm. X 6 cm. Photograph

1,900 baht application fee

Financial Evidence:

Bank account pass-book, bank statement

Evidence showing reception of pension accompanied with Thai translation certified by the embassy or consulate of the country paying the pension

Evidence presenting other sources of income or evidence of money transferred from overseas

In cases of having dependents (husband / wife, children), the applicant must provide evidence indicating their relationship. Evidence must be translated into Thai and be certified by the embassy or consulate of the aliens.

Health Certificate for those who apply for further stay after Nov. 14, 2002.

The officials reserve the rights to examine or ask for additional documents, if necessary

The Health Certificate must indicate that the applicant does not have the following serious diseases:

Leprosy

Turberculosis, TB

Elaphantiasis, Filariesis

Addiction, drug

Alcoholism

Syphilis

If he has the age and proofs just go to immigration and convert to a non immigrate visa at a cost of 2,000 baht using retirement and the proof you have as the reasons. You then can extend the non immigrant with another form and 1,900 baht. Believe if you have the paperwork ready they are more than willing to do this but it is a fairly new system. The old method would be to go outside of the country and come back with a non immigrant O visa (Penang best for that).
DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA STATUS ALTERATION. (NON-O) FOR RETITEMENT PURPOSES.

Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Copy of passport entries.

4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

Application fee of 2,000 baht.

A bank statement from a bank in Thailand showing that the applicant has an account of not less than 800,000 bath. Or

A guarantor-letter from The Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension of the applicant not less than 65,000 baht per month.Or

The total amount of money from the pension and bank account as stated above.(800,000 baht)

Remarks

The Applicant must sign every page of application.

The visa Applicant must arrange the documents in proper order and must prepare the originals as proof.

Call 02-2873101-10 ext.2237 for details.

Application for further stay to spend the remainder of life in the

Kingdom of Thailand

Required Documents

Immigration form 7 (Tor mor 7)

Copy of passport

4 cm. X 6 cm. Photograph

1,900 baht application fee

Financial Evidence:

Bank account pass-book, bank statement

Evidence showing reception of pension accompanied with Thai translation certified by the embassy or consulate of the country paying the pension

Evidence presenting other sources of income or evidence of money transferred from overseas

In cases of having dependents (husband / wife, children), the applicant must provide evidence indicating their relationship. Evidence must be translated into Thai and be certified by the embassy or consulate of the aliens.

Health Certificate for those who apply for further stay after Nov. 14, 2002.

The officials reserve the rights to examine or ask for additional documents, if necessary

The Health Certificate must indicate that the applicant does not have the following serious diseases:

Leprosy

Turberculosis, TB

Elaphantiasis, Filariesis

Addiction, drug

Alcoholism

Syphilis

I currently live in Jomtien Do these applications need to be processed in Bangkok or can it be done locally here in the Jomtien Immigration Office

Can you now convert a tourist visa to a Non Imm O based on married to Thai without leaving the country?

If you can it is not published. But it is very easy to obtain a non immigrant O visa at any Consulate with a marriage certificate and copy of her ID card. Believe the reason is the change is allowed when you can show you are qualified for extension of stay (for retirement/investment and such) but a support Thai wife requires a review period.

Can you now convert a tourist visa to a Non Imm O based on married to Thai without leaving the country?
If you can it is not published.

I was wondering about that, too. Actually, I believe none of the various visa change procedures states specifically that the change to non-O can be made from a tourist visa. However, only the procedure for the change to non-O “to receive assistance from or give assistance to a Thai citizen” requires a residence certificate, and the holder of a tourist visa does not have this certificate.

------------

Maestro

The wording on the TM86 is "I wish to apply for a non immigrant visa" and you then provide the reasons. The only visas lower on the food chain are transit and tourist so believe that is a very good indication they are talking about change from them.

The wording on the TM86 is "I wish to apply for a non immigrant visa" and you then provide the reasons. The only visas lower on the food chain are transit and tourist so believe that is a very good indication they are talking about change from them.

I have a friend in Thailand currently on a 30 day entry permit who is eligible and wants to obtain a retirement visa. I assume from the info in this thread that cannot be done at Thai Immigration in Bkk with just a 30 day entry permit.

I recommended he go to Penang or Singapore to apply for a non-imm O visa.

Does anyone know if the Thai embassy in Kuala Lumpur is 'visa friendly' for farangs wanting a non-Imm O visa?

//Edit to remove incorrect information (mine) - for investment visa there may be a chance to convert directly from a 30 day entry stamp - for any other extension of stay you must have a valid visa//

Second choice would be Penang - I would not trust my luck at other Consulates.

I have a friend in Thailand currently on a 30 day entry permit who is eligible and wants to obtain a retirement visa. I assume from the info in this thread that cannot be done at Thai Immigration in Bkk with just a 30 day entry permit.

I recommended he go to Penang or Singapore to apply for a non-imm O visa.

Does anyone know if the Thai embassy in Kuala Lumpur is 'visa friendly' for farangs wanting a non-Imm O visa?

I believe one of the requirements for changing to a non-imm visa is that there must be at least 30 days left on the current visa. Therefore; I don't think just a 30 day visa would work. Either go to Penang and get a 2 month tourist OR, (and I'm not sure if you can) get your 30 day visa extended (1900 baht) then apply for the change. I just came back from Penang with a 2 month visa. I was informed by the CM Airport Immigration official (who stated that she also has worked in CM Immigration) that I can extend my 2 month visa if I need to in order to qualify for the "at least a month left of the current visa" visa change request.

I was also informed by the Airport Official that visa status change can only be done at the Main office in Bangkok. Since this process (visa change) is apparently rather new (maybe not) then maybe it can be done locally, but Chiang Mai is a pretty big city and if it can't be done in CM, then I wouldn't think it could happen any place other than in Bangkok. Don't let my vaguely informed info stop you from trying. Let us know what you come up with.

jb

The 30 day entry permit which your friend has it not a Visa , it's just what it says - an entry permit.

Visa's must be issued outside of Thailand and can be extended or transformed into another type of Visa inside Thailand.

The entry permit can only be extended (short time) , not transformed into a Visa.

Peenang is your friends best friend :o

Edited by lom

Agreeing with the last post. I got messed up and only had a 30 day entry stamp; the local office said I had to leave Thailand to get a long term real visa (such as an O or a B visa), which I did. I went to Penang, got a one year O visa, then for 1,900 baht it was converted to a retirement visa. Entry stamps aren't worth much.

Edited by PeaceBlondie

lopburi,

from what I have seen , an extension of 10 days (not 2 weeks as stated in other posts) can be given to any Visa holder or 30 day entry holder.

I can't find any references to it on the thai immigration web site though and

it seems to be up to the immigration officer if he gives it or not.

I have seen 30 day entry holder getting those extra 10 days and I have also seen 60 days tourist Visa holders with 30 days extension getting another 10 days ie 100 days in total.

Any info to share with us ?

Most immigration offices will provide 7-14 days extension on a 30 day entry permit with a believable reason. Believe most use 10 days as the norm. It is not something that should be taken for granted like the 30 days on a 60 day tourist visa.