Having A Stroke In Cm

DavidOxon

re.

Hi.... has anyone here had stroke treatment in CM

Where were you treated and how much did it cost?

And were you happy with the treatment you got?

yes i have : (

i had a very mild stroke 15 oct 07 ... went to chiang mai ram

at 9 30 pm ..was seen / tested by a doctor ... sent for an mri brain scan

saw the doctor again with the results was prescribed some pills

and was on my way home at 11 pm : )

i had a few check ups after that for about a year and i was more than happy

with the speed and service i got there

cost ... the first visits was about 6 thousand all in

dave2

post-42592-0-54907700-1350876154_thumb.j

re.

Hi.... has anyone here had stroke treatment in CM

Where were you treated and how much did it cost?

And were you happy with the treatment you got?

yes i have : (

i had a very mild stroke 15 oct 07 ... went to chiang mai ram

at 9 30 pm ..was seen / tested by a doctor ... sent for an mri brain scan

saw the doctor again with the results was prescribed some pills

and was on my way home at 11 pm : )

i had a few check ups after that for about a year and i was more than happy

with the speed and service i got there

cost ... the first visits was about 6 thousand all in

dave2

Glad everything went well Dave. smile.pngthumbsup.gif

When you say 'a very mild stroke' are you referring to a TIA, which many people have, often without actually realizing it and it can happen in ones sleep. Nevertheless, it's a warning sign.

Siripat section (the private section at CMU hospital) gives good care, but the public part is cheaper and often you will have the same doctors.

Regarding price, that totally depends on your condition and subsequent needs.

Good points not all strokes ave the same effect on people. I had a aunt who was paralyzed on one side of her body and had a very difficult time in talking. Of course she had to be pushed around in a wheel chair. My Father died of a stroke.

Many people take baby aspirin to help prevent a stroke it acts as a blood thinner makes the blood less likely to clot.

There is stronger medicines for this but they need a constant check on at least once a month. Mine is Wharfin Every month my doctor checks it and some times has to adjust it.

I too , had a very mild one about a year and a half ago. In getting up in the morning , just started to roll out of bed and fell right on my face. Went down to Lanna Hosp. and got an examination including a solo slide into the tunnel of love, waited a bit , got the results, was given some medication, then on my way home. Also had some strong dietary instructions from the hosp. Cost Zip as have insurance. But I can and always do recommend Lanna Hosp very highly..... This is the only hosp, in my life, that I do look forward to going to each month - six weeks.... To me its * * * * *

G

PS Only lingering effects is it seems to have left me slightly teeched and subject to making more typos

Many people take baby aspirin to help prevent a stroke it acts as a blood thinner makes the blood less likely to clot.

There is stronger medicines for this but they need a constant check on at least once a month. Mine is Wharfin Every month my doctor checks it and some times has to adjust it.

I'm pleased to see you have monthly checks by your doctor regarding your Warfarin, but it's not a drug to be taken lightly.

I hope anyone considering it does not decide to self medicate.

http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/Warfarin.htm

I'm pleased to see you have monthly checks by your doctor regarding your Warfarin, but it's not a drug to be taken lightly.

http://www.patient.c...ne/Warfarin.htm

I have heard of people checking it every other week. Not sure exactly where but there is a low building close to the teaching hospital that does it for 90 baht and calls you with the answer or it is immediate not sure as I rely on my doctor.

edit

I read the web site you gave. It did not say any thing about not eating dark vegetables like Romain lettuce. This is some thing a friend of mine had told me. So when eating salad I generally ask for the iceberg type.

Edited by hellodolly

Siripat section (the private section at CMU hospital) gives good care, but the public part is cheaper and often you will have the same doctors.

Good points not all strokes ave the same effect on people. I had a aunt who was paralyzed on one side of her body and had a very difficult time in talking. Of course she had to be pushed around in a wheel chair. My Father died of a stroke.

Slightly off topic, sorry,

But I recently spent yet another week in RAM with serious digestive problems. When examined at Emergency, before being admitted - one of the questions that they asked was which medicines do I take. I gave them the list which included taking a baby aspirin every day. They were aghast and asked me why. I told them I understood that it 'thinned' the blood and may prevent a possible stroke. They shook their heads.

I later asked the consultant about this and he also was adamant about someone, presumably with gastric disorders, taking this medicine. I have always known of the adverse affect that normal dosage aspirin may have on the stomach but I did not consider a baby aspirin, after breakfast, constituting a problem.

No answer for you David, but it's a bloody good question and I would like to see if there are any answers. It's something that can happen to anyone at any time and devastate a person's life.

+1 Great to see this topic. Some good hospital options noted. Would be good to hear more about specific docs. No doubt a few excellent options in Chiang Mai.

Regarding recuperation and rehabilitation involving physical therapy, here's a vote for Ram, as opposed to Suan Doc, not on price but on the attention you can get. The clinic at Suan Doc is often overcrowded with staff unable to provide as much individual care as might be desired.

Yes one must be careful with Warfarin, INR test readings are effected by some foods high in vitamin K-1 or K-2 including leafy dark green vegetables and they can vary widely day to day according to several doctors I have spoken with. That is at least part of why the acceptable INR range is wide, 2.0-3.0.

About the aspirin therapy there is indeed debate. Check the research. Enteric aspirin is safer, in any case. But also note that aspirin is not always helpful and could be dangerous, as with hemorragic stroke.

I can't find enteric coated aspirin anywhere, not even at everyone's favourite pharmacy on Rachdamnoen. I find that aspirin is more effective than Paracetamol as an analgaesic for occasional use. I sometimes take Bayer, but I'd prefer enteric coated.

A friend of mine, who is an retired American nurse who specialized in care of the elderly, sent me this information just a week ago.....

"I just researched hospitals here who provide rtPA, an incredible drug that will totally reverse the effects of a

stroke ie: paralysis, brain damage, etc, if the patient gets to the hospital within 4 hours of the stroke. So far

Sriphat and RAM have it...so if someone thinks they're having a stroke, those 2 are good choices. Just FYI."

So, if you or someone you know seems to be having a stroke -- don't ignore the signs. Get to either RAM or Sriphat hospital emergency rooms immediately and ask about this new drug, rPA.

A friend of mine, who is an retired American nurse who specialized in care of the elderly, sent me this information just a week ago.....

"I just researched hospitals here who provide rtPA, an incredible drug that will totally reverse the effects of a

stroke ie: paralysis, brain damage, etc, if the patient gets to the hospital within 4 hours of the stroke. So far

Sriphat and RAM have it...so if someone thinks they're having a stroke, those 2 are good choices. Just FYI."

So, if you or someone you know seems to be having a stroke -- don't ignore the signs. Get to either RAM or Sriphat hospital emergency rooms immediately and ask about this new drug, rPA.

That is really useful info Nancy. wai.gif

Someone I knew had a fairly severe stroke and received physio at Mckean hospital. It seemed to be very good treatment, a match to what I have seen in Australia. I think the costs there are more reasonable than some especially if you say it is expensive.

• Like 1

Aspirin to treat strokes has now been revised in the UK. Here is the Doctors written instructions on my last Annual checkup,2 months ago: "Change Aspirin to Clopidogrel as research says better for preventing stroke". Perhaps a word with your Doctor may be in order?

I take a dose of Warfarin every day and get blood test every 2 month including close monitoring by my doctor. knock Knock never have had a stroke but suffer from arrhythmia, high blood pressure and diabetes. 12 years ago upon moving to Thailand my U.S.A. doctor advise that I get a good doctor here and see him regularly.... I should also say I have been forbidden to take anything like aspirin because of the Warfarin. Edited by jcgodber

I take a dose of Warfarin every day and get blood test every 2 month including close monitoring by my doctor. knock Knock never have had a stroke but suffer from arrhythmia, high blood pressure and diabetes. 12 years ago upon moving to Thailand my U.S.A. doctor advise that I get a good doctor here and see him regularly.... I should also say I have been forbidden to take anything like aspirin because of the Warfarin.

Yes, Aspirin and Warfarin could cause severe internal haemorrhaging and death.

Hope you are well smile.png

I take a dose of Warfarin every day and get blood test every 2 month including close monitoring by my doctor. knock Knock never have had a stroke but suffer from arrhythmia, high blood pressure and diabetes. 12 years ago upon moving to Thailand my U.S.A. doctor advise that I get a good doctor here and see him regularly.... I should also say I have been forbidden to take anything like aspirin because of the Warfarin.

I did forget to mention that as well as the dark green Veggie.

Also Ibuprofen is a no no. Celebrex is frowned on. The reason being they can be hard on the stomach and if it was ever to start bleeding and you were taking Warfarin or Ibuprofen it could be fatal. Particularly the Ibuprofen.

About the aspirin therapy there is indeed debate. Check the research. Enteric aspirin is safer, in any case. But also note that aspirin is not always helpful and could be dangerous, as with hemorragic stroke.

I read somewhere that taking aspirin to prevent strokes and heart attacks only works for a year or two and after that is pretty much worthless. I decide not to bother. I am not sure if that is 100% correct, but I remember that it came from a fairly good medical source.

If that is the same as what my friends mother received - it really works . She had a massive stroke but was staying at the time 5 mins from Addenbrooke's in Cambridge.

Taking time to learn and remember these 3 simple steps (STR) could save a person's life:

1. S - Ask the person to Smile
  2. T - Ask the person to Talk and coherently speak a simple sentence such as "It is a sunny day today."
  3. R - Ask the person to Raise both arms

• And a new step to detect the possibility of a stroke: Ask the person to Stick out his or her tongue.

Experiencing difficulty with any of these simple tasks could be an indication of a stroke. Get to a hospital as quickly as possible--within 3 to 4 hours for the best chance of recovery.

Edited by MrBrad
  • Like 2

If that is the same as what my friends mother received - it really works . She had a massive stroke but was staying at the time 5 mins from Addenbrooke's in Cambridge.

I lived not far from Addenbrookes.........I'd feel more confident there. However, this is still very good news and I for one will try to ensure I get to Sripat or Ram in the event of a CVA and I'm trying to figure a way of saying " USE THAT MEDICINE".

re .

When you say 'a very mild stroke' are you referring to a TIA

i dont know what a TIA is

my symptoms were pins and needles .. numbness in my right cheek

lips .. chin .. forehead and pins and needles in all my fingers and toes

and when i told someone about it he said youve had a stroke

the next bit you know and the bill was about 6700 baht but i wasnt counting

money that day : (

dave2

ps.. im virtually back to normal except most of the time i cant feel my toes

at all... a pic ... a pic ... here ya go .. give this puppy a stroke : )

post-42592-0-73426900-1350909832_thumb.j

• Like 1

Is this medicine rtPA or rPA. Where I live English is a little poor. Most doctors do speak English a little but I would like to be sure of what I am asking for.

Thanks in advance