Staying Over 30 Days In Thailand - My Options? Help Please

Hi I am 28 years old & travelling on an Irish passport (Irish citizen). I was hoping I could get some solid advice from someone in relation to my travel time in Thailand.

I fly into bangkok on 7th dec 2012, I fly out of phuket on 11th jan 2013 (35 days). Will the thailand immigration let me into the country as I am staying over the 30 days visa exemption? If not I may need to apply for the 60 tourist visa however I am slightly reluctant to do this as I fly in 6 weeks time and sending away my passport in the post now makes me very uncomfortable in case it gets lost or the application takes longer than it should.

Also if the thai immigration will let me into the country without showing that I will be leaving within 30 days, exactly where, when and how can I pay the 1900 baht for the 7 day extension? This would be my preferred option to just pay for the 7 day extension but I am unsure if I can even get into the country to do this and if I do where, when and how to do I pay it??

Thanks alot in advance for you help.

Cathal

Just get a tourist visa,it's so much easier,it won't get lost in the post and will save you any hassle when you enter Thailand,to even contemplate coming here without one and wanting to stay in excess of 30 days is simply stupid.

Why is it Simply stupid ??? blink.png ??

Its legal and free and very easy to just get 30 days at the airport on arrivial and then get an extention at Phuket immigration..1900bht takes 1/2 hour to do..

I do it every time i go to Thailand/ Phuket ?

the only problem he may have is with his departure from home (if airline goes by the book )

but he has a return ticket already and gets 30 days at airport should be no problem..

not stupid by any means.......wacko.png

Just get a tourist visa,it's so much easier,it won't get lost in the post and will save you any hassle when you enter Thailand,to even contemplate coming here without one and wanting to stay in excess of 30 days is simply stupid.

Why is it Simply stupid ??? blink.png ??

Its legal and free and very easy to just get 30 days at the airport on arrivial and then get an extention at Phuket immigration..1900bht takes 1/2 hour to do..

I do it every time i go to Thailand/ Phuket ?

the only problem he may have is with his departure from home (if airline goes by the book )

but he has a return ticket already and gets 30 days at airport should be no problem..

not stupid by any means.......wacko.png

Given that a 60 day tourist visa including postage for a single entry comes in at say 45 euros,and guarantees the OP no questions asked at departure airport and immigration upon entry in Thailand it seems stupid to try to circumnavigate it by not obtaining one.

From the Thai embassy in Dublin.

As all visa applications must be made by post it is important to follow these instructions. You must supply a SELF ADDRESSED REGISTERED ENVELOPE WITH SUFFICIENT POSTAGE (i.e. 2 passports or more will require extra postage) in order for your passport to be returned to you. Please note that Franked SAE's or SAE's which have postage coupons instead of stamps on them will not be accepted. Applicants from the North of Ireland should note that payment must be in Euro and must include an extra €5 Euro to cover registered postage. Apply for your visa about 4 weeks before the date of your departure. No responsibility can be accepted for financial loss associated with the application for a visa. Be sure you will not need your passport in the meantime.

Please allow 7 WORKING DAYS for your Visa to be processed and returned to you by post and you must enter Thailand within 90 days from the date of issue of your visa.

As the Consulate is not a public office, all Visa applications must be made by post to:

ADDRESS: Royal Thai Consulate

PO Box 9863

Dublin 14

STEP 5. VISA FEES

Visa fees are payable by cash or postal order made payable to THE ROYAL THAI CONSULATE. Please note that CHEQUES ARE NOT ACCEPTED. Following are the applicable fees as of July 2007.

Tourist Visa: €35.00 per entry

Double Entry Tourist Visa: €70.00

Triple Entry Tourist Visa: €105.00

Non-immigration Visa: €65.00 per entry (N.B. For non-tourists only)

Multiple Entry Non-immigration Visa: €145.00 (N.B. For non-tourists only)

Well most people take a two week vacation Max if your working and living in the UK. So its not stupid to ask. But IT IS PRUDENT to get a Tourist visa from your nearest Thai Consulate or Embassy in your home country, They were free at one time.

Edited by henrythe8th

Get the tourist visa. If you don't have a ticket exiting Thailand during the 30 days, immigration won't be your problem, the airline will. They might not let you board the flight unless you have a ticket leaving Thailand within 30 day of entry. AND the tourist visa is cheaper than the 7 day extension.

Edited by wayned

I have the same problem, but a bit different.

I am in the Philippines right now and due to several circonstances, leave earlier to Thailand, as planned. I am not in Manila, so I can not go for a visa anymore, I leave in a week. I need 38 days in Thailand

If I understood correctly, I have only these options :

- When in Phuket do a visa run to Ranong/Burma, loose a day, pay 2 x 1500 Bht..

- When going back to Bangkok or Pattaya, do a detour by Singapore (cheapest flight option with tiger)

- And at last the one I would prefer, going to Jomtiem immigration and ask an extend stay for 2 X 1900.

But some people say, I can only get an extension for 7 days, but as said I need 8. Some say it depends on the immigration office and it is 10 or 14.

Can somebody confirm the latter? I know that the best would be the detour by Singapore as I would have a return in time, out Thailand, but no airline ever checked my return ticket, never did an officer at the airport of bangkok......

If you actually are allowed on aircraft immigration in Thailand is not likely to be a problem. But you can not obtain an extension of a visa exempt entry. They will allow 7 days (and only 7 days) upon application but this is not an approved extension and only a grace period to depart the country - no time longer that this is allowed (although many years ago longer times were often permitted). Getting the 7 days could require show of ticket out within that period of time (although recent reporting seems to be it is not often asked anymore).

If you actually are allowed on aircraft immigration in Thailand is not likely to be a problem. But you can not obtain an extension of a visa exempt entry. They will allow 7 days (and only 7 days) upon application but this is not an approved extension and only a grace period to depart the country - no time longer that this is allowed (although many years ago longer times were often permitted). Getting the 7 days could require show of ticket out within that period of time (although recent reporting seems to be it is not often asked anymore).

Yes, that is my problem, overstaying 8 days.......