Dealing With Blisters On Feet From Running?

ianwuk

Hello.

I run daily and find that, on my right foot only, I get blisters if I run long distances. What can I get from a pharmacy to help them heal quicker or are they best left alone and untouched? Right now both mine burst and I drained them, cleaned them, kept them dry and now they are covered by a plaster.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Ian

Thanks very much for this but right now I am ideally looking for something I can use to treat what I have now. I will take a look at those socks though as proper running socks will no doubt be better than the normal socks I use.

Ianwuk,

My friend, as a runner, blisters are least of your problems, wait until you have severe knee pain due to torn meniscus! I've been jogging for 18 years, met 4 cute/sexy girls and 3 arthroscopies for torn meniscus! Blisters, ha ha ha ha 5 5 and 5!

yeah you could deal with the symptoms with solutions like lubrication and moleskin etc.

That is just dealing with the symptoms. The real problem is muscle inbalance and asymmetry that is causing a focused contact stress.

Do some kettlebell workouts or yoga and pilates to balance out your muscles. It's incredibly easy to get muscle imbalances over time.

WIth the right exercises your muscles can work a lot better with less stress and hot spots(pain).

Often the blisters are just due to friction, which s=weat may worsen. Cornstarch or talcum powder on the feet plus proper socks my prevent.

Once you have them, unofrtunately I have never found a quick remedy, it just takes time to heal, and be sure it has healed fully before you encase the area in a shoe again.

For future prevention you might try rubbing your feet regualrly with surgical spirits. I used to have a lot of problems with blisters which were caused through friction / sweat whilst practising martial arts. Someone recommended the use of surgical spirits and it really seemed to help prevent the blisters and lessen the sweating. Also put talcum or athletes foot powder in your socks prior to running as this may also help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Anyone knows where i can find this kind of blister patches?

http://www.beautyheaven.com.au/health-wellbeing/healing-treatments-massage/28852-compeed-blister-patch

Nothing could find it on their website. Had 1 blister first and it popped by itself but now this morning 2 others come up and it just makes me that i hardly can walk anymore as the blisters are on my right foot on the side which i am using to walk with :) So its damn annoying and using already multiple cleaning stuff to clean the blister which has been popped but thinking about what to do with the other 2 blisters, keep it like this or make it pop as well

Spraying the areas prone to blistering with surgical alcohol will toughen the skin over time and make it more resistant to friction. Once blisters are there, try and keep them from popping for a few days to allow the underlying skin to thicken; makes it less prone to "weeping" after it pops. Applying some merthiolate will dry them quickly if you can stand the significant discomfort from applying alcohol to exposed nerve endings!!

If you need/want to keep running, then this method used in the Military will see you ok (but I concur with all the sensible advice above about prevention):

1. Get a syringe and a pretty large diameter needle.
  2. Pierce the blister at 2 opposing ends and either squeeze or drain the fluid out using the syringe.
  3. Then inject 'Tinct benzine' into the blister space - stand by for this being immensely painful
  4. You can then run on it within an hour, but it really is just a stop-gap and you must find a way to stop the friction that caused the blister in that area.

After a week or so the dead skin will want to come away.

Enjoy biggrin.png

Exactly where on your foot are you getting the blisters?

Do you wear socks when you run?

How old are you running shoes?
What brand and model running shoe are you using?

Did you get the blisters with previous pairs of running shoes?

You say you run "long distances". That's very subjective, please be more specific. Also do you get the blisters if you are running shorter distances?

Spraying the areas prone to blistering with surgical alcohol will toughen the skin over time and make it more resistant to friction. Once blisters are there, try and keep them from popping for a few days to allow the underlying skin to thicken; makes it less prone to "weeping" after it pops. Applying some merthiolate will dry them quickly if you can stand the significant discomfort from applying alcohol to exposed nerve endings!!

Actually i am aplying now already 3 different stuff to clean out the germs inside according the GF :) I have bought a antibiotic cream now and apply it on the area with the 3 blisters as there isnt a alternative as i have written before. It seems they not sell it in Pattaya, i ve been to several pharmacies and they only had the normal plasters. Anyways, i barely can stand on my other foot now and its annoying as hell but hopefully with this cream it will recover ''quickly''.