Asia's Archaic Sex Work Laws

webfact

Particularly in Thailand since there are no laws are on the books for men who like to get off and make babies are hunted down and forced to pay financal support..'Unlike the west where large percentage a man's salary may be attached or thrown in Jail if they fail to financially support children whom he help foster into theworld, there-by putting the total weight & financial burden 100% percent on the woman, what alternatives does she have in light of and in view of total lack of education and the necessary skills to be a productive individual in a society which is governed irresponsible and imature men.Until more women get into grass root politics and obtain political clout to change the rules of the game...NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE.

A man would never get away with that kind of crap in the western countires, especially in the U.SA. coffee1.gif

and periodically the man would be taken to court by the woman for increases in child support based on a record of his salary increases if any, usually win. coffee1.gif

While I get what your saying about many men not taking financial responsibility for their kids causing hardship, your conclusion is nonsense. There are plenty of women that find a way to take care of themselves and their kids without taking the easy route of prostitution. It is common for relatives to take on these children while the mother works regardless of what occupation she takes up. It just happens that some of these girls choose a life of easy money and partying over hard work. That is not a judgement, I doubt if I would want to work my ass off in some factory for almost nothing if I had the option to get paid a lot to party every night.

Do you really think prostitution is the "easy route"? Are you that naive, or just cold hearted?

Not a judgment? No, that's exactly what you're doing.

many prostitutes enjoy their work , especially the pretty freelancers who can choose their own clients and make good money , been with a few and spoke to probably hundreds over the years and i would say more than half are happy in their work ,......i've yet to meet a thai girl with a headache !!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Particularly in Thailand since there are no laws are on the books for men who like to get off and make babies are hunted down and forced to pay financal support..'Unlike the west where large percentage a man's salary may be attached or thrown in Jail if they fail to financially support children whom he help foster into theworld, there-by putting the total weight & financial burden 100% percent on the woman, what alternatives does she have in light of and in view of total lack of education and the necessary skills to be a productive individual in a society which is governed irresponsible and imature men.Until more women get into grass root politics and obtain political clout to change the rules of the game...NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE.

A man would never get away with that kind of crap in the western countires, especially in the U.SA. coffee1.gif

and periodically the man would be taken to court by the woman for increases in child support based on a record of his salary increases if any, usually win. coffee1.gif

Specially in Thailand no woman is forced to get children....There are plenty solutions to not get pregnant and they are well known and as well abortion is legal in Thailand.

abortion maybe legal , but is looked on in a VERY bad light , equal to a staunch catholics thinking but with a few different prospectives on it and the bf/husband will not forgive her for aborting,..........woman looses whatever she does here ..........TIT.

I took three ladies to the monk to atone for an abortion. They told the abbot what happened and he told them how much money to give and what prayers to say. Next day they were OK.

the husbands and b/f ok with it too ?........... think you missed my point .

Written by Richard S. Ehrlich

In Asia they do more harm than good, the UN says

Incredible they single out Asia here! laugh.png What about the USA? cheesy.gif

They have the most archaic prostitution laws of almost anywhere! You'd have to got to the Islamic world to beat theirs and even many of those countries dont compare.

These laws ONLY exist because people want to force their religious views upon others.

They have the most archaic prostitution laws of almost anywhere! You'd have to got to the Islamic world to beat theirs and even many of those countries dont compare.

These laws ONLY exist because people want to force their religious views upon others.

Can you tell us where you came by this knowledge and show us some of your sources for this claim?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

In the west tax payers pay. The father is usually out of work

Specially in Thailand no woman is forced to get children....There are plenty solutions to not get pregnant and they are well known and as well abortion is legal in Thailand.

abortion maybe legal , but is looked on in a VERY bad light , equal to a staunch catholics thinking but with a few different prospectives on it and the bf/husband will not forgive her for aborting,..........woman looses whatever she does here ..........TIT.

I took three ladies to the monk to atone for an abortion. They told the abbot what happened and he told them how much money to give and what prayers to say. Next day they were OK.

the husbands and b/f ok with it too ?........... think you missed my point .

No I didn't miss your point. The ladies had no idea who the father was so he was not involved. It was one woman and two of her friends who helped her. My point which I guess you missed was the resolution of guilt was easy and a common process. The Monk didn't bat an eye.

Maybe because this is a Thai news forum.biggrin.png

The original article links 'prostitution' with HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases. I am not sure this is so 'cut and dried'.

I remember reading, some time ago, that the spread of HIV in Phuket was predominantly among married women. The process was, apparently, that their husbands would go with a variety of other females and bring the disease back home. I have no idea if this was well researched etc., I seem to remember that the Chief Medical Officer had some input. However if this is an accurate reflection of what is happening then professional ladies (who in the main protect themselves) are less of a problem than the very loose moral habits of married Thai men.

I think that removing a few labels "prostitute" "prostitution" will do nothing to address any underlying issue. Typical recommendation of an international committee staffed by a bunch of 'jobsworths'.

Maybe because this is a Thai news forum.biggrin.png

Actually, no. The article was not written for this Thai news forum.

It was however written for an Asian news org. More to the point, the study "was issued by the United Nations Development Program and the UN Population Fund, in partnership with the Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS and non-governmental organizations across Asia". In other words, the study was about Asia so an Asian news organization wrote about it.

It should have been obvious to the poster who wants it to be about the US.

The original article links 'prostitution' with HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases. I am not sure this is so 'cut and dried'.

I remember reading, some time ago, that the spread of HIV in Phuket was predominantly among married women. The process was, apparently, that their husbands would go with a variety of other females and bring the disease back home. I have no idea if this was well researched etc., I seem to remember that the Chief Medical Officer had some input. However if this is an accurate reflection of what is happening then professional ladies (who in the main protect themselves) are less of a problem than the very loose moral habits of married Thai men.

I think that removing a few labels "prostitute" "prostitution" will do nothing to address any underlying issue. Typical recommendation of an international committee staffed by a bunch of 'jobsworths'.

I don't think your recollection shows what you think it does.

It has long been reported (I'm talking decades) that a significant amount of AIDs/HIV cases -- throughout Thailand but especially upcountry -- are resulting from transmission from Thai husbands to their wives. It has also long been acknowledged that visiting a prostitute is a common activity for Thai males (it is somewhat less so these days with casual premarital sex much more available than in the past).

I question your assertion that professional ladies in the main protect themselves given that that would include workers -- by no means all of whom are educated or empowered, in all manner of venues throughout the country -- ranging from mildly coercive to outright slavery.

So is it plausible that Thai men are visiting a Karake Lounge, Coffee shop, massage parlor or any other of a multitude of permutations and having unprotected sex with an HIV positive sex worker and becoming infected only to pass it on?

Without a doubt.

It has long been reported (I'm talking decades) that a significant amount of AIDs/HIV cases -- throughout Thailand but especially upcountry -- are resulting from transmission from Thai husbands to their wives. It has also long been acknowledged that visiting a prostitute is a common activity for Thai males (it is somewhat less so these days with casual premarital sex much more available than in the past).

I question your assertion that professional ladies in the main protect themselves given that that would include workers -- by no means all of whom are educated or empowered, in all manner of venues throughout the country -- ranging from mildly coercive to outright slavery.

So is it plausible that Thai men are visiting a Karake Lounge, Coffee shop, massage parlor or any other of a multitude of permutations and having unprotected sex with an HIV positive sex worker and becoming infected only to pass it on?

Without a doubt.

Helpful response. Also quite scary.

In essence I was not trying to make any judgements about the Thai situation but just trying to highlight the superficial approach of many international organisations. My assertion that professional ladies protect themselves was a generalisation (probably incorrect) from my own experience where the places frequented by 'Farangs' for 'personal services' usually had girls who insisted on the use of condoms. I am aware that these establishments do not have many local Thai customers. The locals usually have a variety of other venues (as you suggest) either not generally known or frequented by the ex-pat community.

Without a doubt.

Helpful response. Also quite scary.

In essence I was not trying to make any judgements about the Thai situation but just trying to highlight the superficial approach of many international organisations. My assertion that professional ladies protect themselves was a generalisation (probably incorrect) from my own experience where the places frequented by 'Farangs' for 'personal services' usually had girls who insisted on the use of condoms. I am aware that these establishments do not have many local Thai customers. The locals usually have a variety of other venues (as you suggest) either not generally known or frequented by the ex-pat community.

Fair enough. I do think your generalization might have been less than accurate. And when you say that it was based on the sector of the industry that caters to Farangs --- that may be less than 10% of the country as a whole.

Restaurants

Barber Shops

Tea Rooms

Hotels

Brothels

A few more places where commercial sex is typically available and almost exclusively patronized by Thais. (All of this is based on research by Thai scholars as well as international "experts" -- or even almost experts like myself. It's not about Thai bashing).

Don't you just love it when a group such as the UN Development Program start manipulating the English language, so it is now suggested that in view of political correctness we refer to such activities as sex workers. Changes nothing in my opinion and will have absolutely no impact on the attitudes of individuals on both sides of the fence. Do they really think that a sex worker in Thailand gives a dam as to whether Falangs call her a prostitute or a sex worker.. Hi Mum I would like you to meet Nong who is my gf I met in Pattaya. No , no she is not a prostitute she is a sex worker !!. As I said before ,changes nothing.

Political correctness is the way to get promoted in the UN. I have met some real "dozzies" from the UNDP including one who was suggesting 9/11 was America's fault and that the Muslim/Hindu violence in India was a result of their being part of the British Empire! So insisting "sex workers" is a nicer word than prostitute, whore, harlott, hooker or whatever isn't surprising.

The UNDP seems adept at producing this sort of comment but at actually doing anything positive. Still, it keeps overpaid Western "experts" over here. Notice they haven't been poking around in Eastern Europe or Africa.

No doubt laws could be improved. Prostitution will always be around, like it or not. Decriminalise, licence and control - like the Dutch do.

Don't you just love it when a group such as the UN Development Program start manipulating the English language, so it is now suggested that in view of political correctness we refer to such activities as sex workers. Changes nothing in my opinion and will have absolutely no impact on the attitudes of individuals on both sides of the fence. Do they really think that a sex worker in Thailand gives a dam as to whether Falangs call her a prostitute or a sex worker.. Hi Mum I would like you to meet Nong who is my gf I met in Pattaya. No , no she is not a prostitute she is a sex worker !!. As I said before ,changes nothing.

Political correctness is the way to get promoted in the UN. I have met some real "dozzies" from the UNDP including one who was suggesting 9/11 was America's fault and that the Muslim/Hindu violence in India was a result of their being part of the British Empire! So insisting "sex workers" is a nicer word than prostitute, whore, harlott, hooker or whatever isn't surprising.

The UNDP seems adept at producing this sort of comment but at actually doing anything positive. Still, it keeps overpaid Western "experts" over here. Notice they haven't been poking around in Eastern Europe or Africa.

No doubt laws could be improved. Prostitution will always be around, like it or not. Decriminalise, licence and control - like the Dutch do.

From the article, "Sex workers should enjoy the same labor conditions as factory workers or entertainers, said Ms. Chantawipa, who wore a T-shirt emblazoned with her favorite slogan: "Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere."

I don't think the ladies want to be licensed and controlled.

"including dropping the words “prostitute” and “prostitution” from the lexicon because they stigmatize those involved in the business."

w00t.gif <deleted>

Yeah, call the pro's Harlots of the night. Sound a lot better, yes ?

Legalize, regulate & tax it. Best idea is probably to have the state/county run the brothels with pros paying for rent&services, such as medicals etc. Price will unfortunately go up.

#126 chiangmaikelly; sorry mate , you HAVE missed the point, the father DID NOT KNOW ;and im not talking about hookers i'm talking about the other 95%+ of thai girls that are descent and not visiting a temple just for atonement /making merit crap, they would be so ashamed/embarassed and it would be a closely guarded secret to any NORMAL thai girl ,..& that says it all, i have have friends here {farang}who have confided in me after telling the gf they dont want more kids , but the girls have still gone ahead telling the family at the last possible moment., i have personal experience of this too , but im not doing my laundry here on an open forum, but let me assure you again, the thai population has not grown from 14m to 70m in less than 45 yrs cos they can afford the kids they have ,...........hence the superb education !!, ...it is frowned upon BIG time here, ask a GOOD THAI FAMILY ,......... if you know one !

Edited by osiboy

#126 chiangmaikelly; sorry mate , you HAVE missed the point, the father DID NOT KNOW ;and im not talking about hookers i'm talking about the other 95%+ of thai girls that are descent and not visiting a temple just for atonement /making merit crap, they would be so ashamed/embarassed and it would be a closely guarded secret to any NORMAL thai girl ,..& that says it all, i have have friends here {farang}who have confided in me after telling the gf they dont want more kids , but the girls have still gone ahead telling the family at the last possible moment., i have personal experience of this too , but im not doing my laundry here on an open forum, but let me assure you again, the thai population has not grown from 14m to 70m in less than 45 yrs cos they can afford the kids they have ,...........hence the superb education !!, ...it is frowned upon BIG time here, ask a GOOD THAI FAMILY ,......... if you know one !

I don't really think abortion is the topic but I would imagine abortion reaches across all sectors of the Thai population from the lowest of low to the highest of high. I would imagine both normal and abnormal Thai women get abortions. Abortion may be frowned on but it is readily available.

I don't really think abortion is the topic but I would imagine abortion reaches across all sectors of the Thai population from the lowest of low to the highest of high. I would imagine both normal and abnormal Thai women get abortions. Abortion may be frowned on but it is readily available.

Normal and abnormal? What?

Re post #137

Re post #137

I read it. I guess my question is, what do YOU mean by "normal" and "abnormal"?

Edited by SteeleJoe

All us guys are here all smug and stuff. I wonder what we would do if a woman came up to us and offered a weeks wages to go to a bar and party for a night and end up in a classy hotel with room service steaks and wine and football on TV. Would I call the cops and have her arrested?

I wish this would happen more often!

All us guys are here all smug and stuff. I wonder what we would do if a woman came up to us and offered a weeks wages to go to a bar and party for a night and end up in a classy hotel with room service steaks and wine and football on TV. Would I call the cops and have her arrested?

I wish this would happen more often!

Heh.

Problem with Chiangmaikelly's analogy is:

-- Presumably you'd only want that to happen if the woman was physically and/or otherwise attractive to you. Obviously not all customers are attractive to sex workers.

-- By no means do all or even most sex workers spend and evening partying or wind up in a classy hotel with room service steaks and wine and football on TV.

-- At the end of this hypothetical perfect evening with his/her customer, the sex is obligated to have sex for money. I am not one who feels that is necessarily the worst thing ever, but I do argue that it is fundamentally different from having sex because you want to and that to varying degrees it is likely to affect someone differently in emotional or psychological terms.

To put it simply, the description of the evening is not unrealistic for a sex worker in Nana Plaza etc but it is certainly an idealized one and perhaps less than typical. And it has zero similarity to the typical experience of most of Asia's (or Thailand's) sex workers.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Please do not refer to post numbers as a reference when answering another post. If posts get deleted the numbering changes and the post number you may be referring to may not be what you thought it was originally and then confusion comes into play. Best idea is to use the Multi-quote feature or the Quote feature when referring to another post.

• Like 1

Please do not refer to post numbers as a reference when answering another post. If posts get deleted the numbering changes and the post number you may be referring to may not be what you thought it was originally and then confusion comes into play. Best idea is to use the Multi-quote feature or the Quote feature when referring to another post.

Those numbers won't show up in the ThaiVisa App, either, making the comments useless.

Those numbers won't show up in the ThaiVisa App, either, making the comments useless.

True. I confess I just assumed what "post #137" was...

Sorry there are a couple of post up there that have too many quotes for me to unravel as they are all run together and the first one refers to a number of a post (I didn't write the number) so I won't refer to that either. So if anyone wants to ask me a question I guess just write it as a stand alone question. Again sorry for any inconvenience.

No idea what the fuzz is all about. In Thailand, prostitution is a win-win situation for all involved. Usually the "client" gets the well orchestrated illusion of being loved or at least being liked, the girl gets F&B, a night's sleep in a good hotel and good pay, instead of sleeping in a shaggy staff room with a group of 7 friends on a stinky mattress... At times, the guy even finds the love of his life and the girl finds the easy life she's been dreaming of and (in 90% of the cases) a husband who doesn't come home every day in the morning completely hammered to beat her up, take her money so he can continue to play cards with his jobless lowlife Thai friends until she comes home from work (as in a pure Thai marriage usually only one is working: the female!) and cooks him some food (as otherwise there might be another beating, before he visits his "Mia Noi").

Mentioned also should be, that most Thai prostitutes work on their own behalf, on free accounts and on free choice without pimps, force, etc. I think that prostitutes in Thailand have quite a good life and their "work" is generally accepted, tolerated and appreciated by most folks here in Thailand. So I don't think that there are any discriminating aspects need to be discussed, and I don't see that changing the vocabulary from Prostitutes to Sex Workers would make any difference at all. Personally I find the phrase sex worker more offending than prostitute. Why not call them "entertainment line entrepreneurs" ? This would give female Thai "entertainment line entrepreneurs" the honor they truly deserve, since I believe this country would not be where it is today without its "special forces" smile.png

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 1

you can imagine what you like ,...maybe it is not the topic,...but believe me , its not as easy as you think ....reply when you have talked to a thai lady trying to get one !.......let me know about her experience ......PLEASE ! , thank u ,.....u have no idea for sure,....i know by your reply you are ignorant to the matter in thailand ..........apart from knowing SOME of them take place in a temple .... where are the rest of them done ?