This Is Really A Stupid Question But Have To Ask!

BillStrangeOgre

Does anyone know how to go to a channel on the TV using the remote control without clicking through all the channels to get there.

It's driving me freaking nuts! annoyed.gif I want to go to channel 58 (for example) i press 5 then 8 and still only go to 5. What's that all about??!! I know i'm a dinosaur!

Yes, i really don't know the answer but they just don't teach you this stuff at school! sorry.gif

I haven't got a remote to hand but you will most probably need to find the button on the remote that looks (from memory) somewhat like this: -/--

This will allow you to toggle between entering single digit or double digit numbers.

Cheers but i've got every dam type of button on my remote except that one!!

All this bloody technology is in overload now. TV's, Remotes, Cameras, Phones, DVD, Computer, even the bloody microwave!.................it's enough already! burp.gif

Edited by BillStrangeOgre

I had a remote once where you had to enter 3 digits. So to get to channel 58 you had to enter 058. If you just tried to enter 50, it would go to channel 5 when you hit the 5, and then go to channel 8 when you hit the 8. Anyway, worth a try.

What is the make and model, my good fellow?

Samsung. There's probably a website for this kinda stuff, right?

Yes and there is probably a manual as well.

Can't find a manual, looks like that was lost years ago. I'm in rented accom.

Looked at a couple of websites all Chinese to me..............rolleyes.gif

may be another silly question, but are you using the TV remote or the satelite remote ?

It's the TV remote, that i've worked out.

Looks like there's a way to switch it between TV, VCR, Cable and DVD.

How the hell do people keep all this info we bombarded with in their heads? Was looking at the washing machine yesterday. The controls and instructions look like those of a light aircraft!! biggrin.png

may be another silly question, but are you using the TV remote or the satelite remote ?

It's the TV remote, that i've worked out.

Looks like there's a way to switch it between TV, VCR, Cable and DVD.

How the hell do people keep all this info we bombarded with in their heads? Was looking at the washing machine yesterday. The controls and instructions look like those of a light aircraft!! biggrin.png

Use the cable and you should be ok , am with you on instructions these days , just bought a new smart phone, had to get a much younger colleague to set that up biggrin.png

I haven't got a remote to hand but you will most probably need to find the button on the remote that looks (from memory) somewhat like this: -/--

This will allow you to toggle between entering single digit or double digit numbers.

Cheers but i've got every dam type of button on my remote except that one!!

All this bloody technology is in overload now. TV's, Remotes, Cameras, Phones, DVD, Computer, even the bloody microwave!.................it's enough already! burp.gif

I have a Samsung remote and the -/-- button is to the left of "0".

You're funny, man! I'd suggest for you to take a pic of the remote and upload it here. But the complexity of that might escalate the situation beyond control wink.png

That was actually going to be my suggestion! Alternatively, see if there is a model number on the remote, bang it into Google and click "Images". If there's a picture he can link to it.

But having said that if he can't work a TV remote, I'm surprised he's got this far on a computer.

cheesy.gif

What is the make and model, my good fellow?

Samsung. There's probably a website for this kinda stuff, right?

How old is your samsung? My 2005 Samsung TV has the -/-- on the remote. Mind you, it is very small (sits between keys, below the 7) and is really hard to make out clearly (especially with aging eyes).

You're funny, man! I'd suggest for you to take a pic of the remote and upload it here. But the complexity of that might escalate the situation beyond control wink.png

No, taking photos i can manage. Great idea, it's attached.

I could of course just play around with the remote and push button 'til i find it but i'll push something, then the telly doesn't work and i wont be able to fix. Has happened on more than one occasion. I'm not pushing any buttons until i know what they do.

How freaking sad is that??!! whistling.gif

post-92207-0-04310000-1351072029_thumb.j

I've had at least one TV RC that didn't have that little -/-- button and the trick for double-digit channel numbers was to press the two numbers in quick succession. So, for channel 58 you would press 5 and then quickly press 8. You do need to be quick about it - you maybe have half a second between presses.

No guarantee that this will work but it will cost you nothing to try.

DM

That doesn't look like a samsung remote, my guess is the origional samsung remote got lost with the manual some years ago and that is a tesco lotus or big C cheapo attempt at a universal remote....

Sorry can't be of more help.

• Like 1

No, taking photos i can manage. Great idea, it's attached.

I could of course just play around with the remote and push button 'til i find it but i'll push something, then the telly doesn't work and i wont be able to fix. Has happened on more than one occasion. I'm not pushing any buttons until i know what they do.

How freaking sad is that??!! whistling.gif

Ok I'll have a go, I have an old samsung remote (genuine) that came from a 43" back projection unit and the 1 or 2 digit channel selector doubles up with the 'teletext store' key ( below the '7' key as noted in other posts. Notice you have such a key, its the one above the text/mix button. Guessing the codes could be the same so pressing this key should bring up a '-' top left of screen, pressing it again should bring up '- -' which is for 2 number channel selection.

If it works should be able to select 58 etc. If it does not work no more suggestions but dont see it doimg any harm (but hey it's not my set rolleyes.gif )

I've had at least one TV RC that didn't have that little -/-- button and the trick for double-digit channel numbers was to press the two numbers in quick succession. So, for channel 58 you would press 5 and then quickly press 8. You do need to be quick about it - you maybe have half a second between presses.

No guarantee that this will work but it will cost you nothing to try.

DM

Thanks but that was the first thing i was trying.

That doesn't look like a samsung remote, my guess is the origional samsung remote got lost with the manual some years ago and that is a tesco lotus or big C cheapo attempt at a universal remote....

Sorry can't be of more help.

Definitely a Samsung remote. Says so at the base of it, out of shot.

Might be an old one and not the original though.

Edited by BillStrangeOgre