Why Does No One In Thailand Make Fizzy Water?

thenervoussurgeon

I don't think the Thai's want it and I also don't think many foreigners care for it.

Good old plain water does the job. thumbsup.gif

well judging by the amount of soda water sold i dont think thats the case

Yes but they drink a lot of whisky ;)

You have a point though it could catch on, especially flavoured waters.

The market for unflavored carbonated water here is teentsy tiny - 99% of it is club soda, and at least 90% of that is as a mixer for whisky/whiskey. BTW same with Ginger Ale, to the point that all the Lotus checkout staff agreed one day that I couldn't buy it outside the legal alcohol sales hours 8-) Same problem sometimes with Root Beer!

Wealthy Thais love to show off their wealth by buying expensive imported mineral waters.

But in general Thais believe the carbonation is unhealthy; obviously the sugar-water drinkers don't care, but not much market for bubbles among those who know/care about their health.

Aside from the pseudo vitamin/energy/skin beauty scam drinks, juice smoothies and bubble tea are the profitable "healthy" drinks.

Mont Fleur sells sparkling natural mineral water here in LOS, it is in 700ml "frosted" glass bottles.

We purchased 6 bottles recently from Makro for 35 baht per bottle, we have seen it in Max Value, Big C etc etc, but for 70 baht a bottle.

It tastes great and is a pleasant change from normal drinking water

I suspect it's a very limited market, we all hoped that Sprite-Zero might catch-on, but only farangs seemed to buy it. sad.png

The range of sugary soft-drinks is also quite limited here, unless you're happy to pay B60/can in an import-supermarket, hopefully tastes will change as diet becomes more of a concern, and sparkling-water with a hint of apple/peach/lemon/lime etcetera may be launched ?

Until then try adding soda-water to a little squash/cordial, and a few drops of lemon-juice, if high-sugar drinks aren't your thing ?

I suspect it's a very limited market, we all hoped that Sprite-Zero might catch-on, but only farangs seemed to buy it. sad.png

The range of sugary soft-drinks is also quite limited here, unless you're happy to pay B60/can in an import-supermarket, hopefully tastes will change as diet becomes more of a concern, and sparkling-water with a hint of apple/peach/lemon/lime etcetera may be launched ?

Until then try adding soda-water to a little squash/cordial, and a few drops of lemon-juice, if high-sugar drinks aren't your thing ?

If you read up a couple of lines you will realize a line has already been launched by Chang.

post-73727-0-55731100-1351162775_thumb.j