Bmw X1

rics21

Prices indeed are what they are here and we all know why: locally assembled via full import. Therefore the gap is probably wider than it would be in Europe between the Top European brands and the Japanese or Koreans. Even in Germany you can argue that a Benz compared via a VW Passat or so is bad value for money....they Passat might do everything as well as the Benz or sometimes even better. Still the Benz is a Benz and the VW remains a VW. Why does a Lacoste shirt costs so much more than a 'regular' quality Polo....blablabla.

But there are also differences, if you compare for example what somebody did just before a Cruze and a Skoda Superb (as the Octavia is not imported anymore). 1.1m via 1.9m Baht. I for one think the Skoda Superb is great value, even compared to the Cruze; just look and sit inside and I would bet that anybody who is not blind would see it.

It is however true that some brands (the top ones) probably go a little over with pricing and that point i would agree with ThaiCruze (don't hit me!). otherwise why a Mini Cooper S costs 2.8m (or so, to lazy to check) and a Citroen DS3 sport 1.6m. Both imported to my knowledge and not that far apart in Europe in pricing. Either Citroen is selling at loss or Mini is making a big buck on it. I tend to believe the later. But and here comes the big BUT....they can, because people still buy it, coz it is a MINI! The same people buying the Lacoste shirt.

Do we like this....hell know! But no choice.....if i want to eat my favourite chocolate from Germany i pay twice the price here than in Germany....yet it is surely cheaper than flying over. On the other side: Try to take your own wine to a seaside restaurant, order a great meal and spend 25 Euro in Germany!

We live here and there is good and bad. Car prices are the bad side, but so be it. I still enjoy driving and therefore any Japanese car with a simple 1.8 or 2.0 engine does not cut it for me....so I need to look for European cars.

In my opinion if Ford would locally produce engines like the 1.6 ecopower (or so...) with 180 plus HP or the ST version, than I believe we would really getting somewhere, or VW produce locally and get a GTI, a Passat with the 2.0 TSI engines for around 1.5m. Oh man, how quick the Japanese would have declined sales....oh yeah, just dreaming out loud.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

....and coming back to the X1, I would not buy it in 1.8 form for exactly the reason i stated above, i also don't feel it is value for money, as the engine is not much better than that of a Ford Focus 2.0 or Honda Civic or 2.0 Cruze for that matter. It is just for people who want image and the BMW badge, fine with me if this is what rocks your boat. if the X1 would be offered with same spec but he 2.0 Diesel engine than we have a different game....and I think in 'shit' brown it actually looks rather 'cool'....haha. giggle.gif

As far as the lighter, again you are missing my point. The point I am making is, whether you think buying a BIC for a Dupont price is reasonable. That's my point.

I think you're missing the point. The prices of BMW's or Mercs in Thailand are the price.

It's absolutely pointless comparing it to how much they are in America.

Another example - A papaya is 20 or 50 baht in Thailand.

In the UK 350.

It's still a papaya whistling.gif

RAZZ

That X1 is still the same $30,000 car even though they're charging you $65,000++ here. A Papaya is still a Papaya.

You want to pay £350 pounds for a papaya? You're not getting some sort of super papaya. You're getting the same shit Papaya others get for £1.

You're right. A papaya is still a papaya. That's what I've been saying all along.

We are saying the same thing basically. The only difference is that I don't have to convince myself that it's OK that I just paid 2++ million baht for an X1.

I just have to feel bad I paid £17,000 for a Cruze that costs £14,000 in the UK. That's an easier Papaya to swallow for me.

This is about real value vs artificial put on value that isn't in the product. An X1 at over 2 million baht. Where is the 2++ million baht in the car? Point it out to me. Where is that money inside there? It's not there. You're about 1 million short. The rest of the 1 million isn't a value inside the car, it's all on paper.

You can't compare Thai prices with US prices. This is Thailand we all know that cars here, especially European, are going to cost more. Bottom line is if you want to buy a BMW or Mercedes, even if you think that it is over priced you will have to pay a premium for it whether or not you like.

Edited by arkom

You can't compare Thai prices with US prices. This is Thailand we all know that cars here, especially European, are going to cost more. Bottom line is if you want to buy a BMW or Mercedes, even if you think that it is over priced you will have to pay a premium for it whether or not you like.

Yes that's the way it is, take it or walk away. Now this topic have been going on for 6 pages and turing into a joke and I haven't seen any post saying that he/she actually have a BMW X1.

I personally would never buy one and I don't think TC would either, LOL.

Watched 'Top Gear' for years,

I seam to remember way back the all new X3, was tested and given a very poor report, something like 6 out of 20........ looking at a much newer report they say it is rather a good package.. crying.gif

I seam to remember way back the all new X3, was tested and given a very poor report, something like 6 out of 20........ looking at a much newer report they say it is rather a good package.. crying.gif

That's because cars either improve or get worse. Obviously the X3 has improved. Back when the X3 came out it used to be a joke.

Edited by thaicruze

Yes the original X3 was universally given very bad reviews for poor quality, poor ride, and generally being rubbish. This is a reason why you would have to resist being tempted to buy one second hand in the 2 million baht bracket. The new model I think introduced in 2010 is apparently a decent car, but to be honest I am stil not a fan primarily based on how its looks, although it is an improvement on the first generation.

X1 seems to be going through some of the same growing pains, maybe the next generation will be better!!

That's because cars either improve or get worse. Obviously the X3 has improved. Back when the X3 came out it used to be a joke.

problem these days the working may improve but the looks sure is getting a lot worse, in Thailand anyway, now you have cars with a blob on the back and blown up and call it a 4x4, or a pickup made into an Estate car/wagon.. Mitz Pajero is a good one, you had the big 4x4, the smaller one 1.8, and the baby 1.1, they all looked like a 4x4, now you have one only that looks like a pickup........ The Chevy Captive looks like a 4x4, the Trax looks the same but smaller but still looks like a 4x4.......... CRV each re-design look worse, I did like the Rav4 but the new model looks more like a ugly CRV with a few more lumps and bumps on...

Now there is talk about the Jazz being pumped up and called a SUV....... what is next a Vios pumped up SUV ? if you can tell which way its going, there sure to add a few more lumps and bumps..

Still at moment the Nissan X-Trail, Suzuki even Chery [looks like the Mk 2 Rav4] still look like a 4x4, even if there 2 wheel drive, as does the proper 4x4's X5, ML Benz, LR & RR.

Lets have some nice moden, wacky, way out bodies, not an ugly blob.

Just read that the Trax now may not come to Thailand, instead will be the Spin, now looks like they let all or most of the air out of the Trailblazer.. still looks in keeping here, let not have something that looks nice.

I don't even like X1's... laugh.png

BUT -

After 3 years in the UK an X1 could have halved in value. In Thailand probably still worth 3/4's.

So even though there is an"artificially high" price to start the cost of car ownership would much cheaper in Thailand.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

For Pattaya residents, assuming you guys use Nelson's for service, what do you do about overnight service sessions (not an issue yet, but surely for older cars)? Really wish they would open a Pattaya dealership/service center.

:)

• 4 months later...

True that the X1 looks cheap but the 3 series is quite good and I am not a BM lover.

After seeing the BMW 3 series I understand why Mercedes Benz had to rush to launch something new and good.

For Pattaya residents, assuming you guys use Nelson's for service, what do you do about overnight service sessions (not an issue yet, but surely for older cars)? Really wish they would open a Pattaya dealership/service center.

smile.png

Is this Nelson any good or is it just because he is the only choice ?

For Pattaya residents, they are the closest. That said, on par with the only other BMW dealership we use in Bangkok (Millenium). A new dealership in Pattaya would be nice though. Surely the market is there by now.

:)

Why? Have you heard something bad about the Cruze? Keeps outselling every car month after month. I think after all this time, if it was as bad as you say, the sales would have plummeted. Even the Focus couldn't dethrone the Cruze. It must have something good. Not only that, but it isn't marked up 300% for no reason.

I don't understand your obsession with the Cruze, even though we are talking about the X1 you keep bringing it up. We absolutely love the Cruze. Now I understand why it is STILL the best selling car in the US. For the price, the nicest car I've ever had. Excluding the Focus because I haven't driven it yet.

Hence it starting to turn into a bit of a hit in Thailand. Actually, Chevrolet as a whole.

Everyone who has taken a ride in my car (Thai or Expat) have commented in how nice and quiet it is. Even the ones who thought I was crazy when I bought a Chevy. They all have to admit how nice it is over the Toyotas and Hondas they're used to.

An X1 would be "Oh. Well. It's nice. Not as big as it looks is it? And how much? HOW MUCH? No way. Really??"

I have driven the both the X1 and the Cruze 1,8. The Cruze was ok. Similar to a Toyota Altis. But the engine could have used some more torque.

The X1 feels like a BMW. Excellent balanced ride. Steering and breaks as expected from a premium car. Great information system with top notch navigation. US/Thai prices is a silly comparison, as US have some of the lowest car prices in the world.

go for the Diesel. Had the 520D, and it was fast and very cheap on fuel. Just moved to 730D, and the 6 cylinder purrs nicely, and drinks about 5% more than the 520d.

with the 4 cylinder BMW's if its a brand new model, should be relatively vibration free. anything before 2009 models, stay clear as they vibrate a lot

For 2 Million Baht, Nobody has mentioned Lexus. The CT200h might not be everyones first thought of Lexus but the gas milage is great on it and you get much better build quality than the X1. Just throwing it out there.

And for someone who mentioned forgoing the bmw for a GTi, are you high? VW is "the people's car". He wants to step up to a luxury vehicle. I'm not knocking the car but it's definitely something that should be in the Civic Price range, not BMW price range.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

That's why I only buy made in Thailand cars, I don't give a shit what the neighbors thinks, about 1.2 mill bath is also max I want to shell out for a car despite having a fairly well paid job in the oil off-shore industry.

Current car on order: Ranger WT 2.2 2wd Chill to old price: 869k bath I think I was, hoping to get it early next year.

You must be one of those overpaid commercial divers or offshore engineers that Thailand is overrun withw00t.gif

I don't even like X1's... laugh.png

BUT -

After 3 years in the UK an X1 could have halved in value. In Thailand probably still worth 3/4's.

So even though there is an"artificially high" price to start the cost of car ownership would much cheaper in Thailand.

RAZZ

This is a myth, Try and sell your Beemer or Merc and then com tell us about experience.