Cm Immigration Advises New Policy Now Will Require Supporting Documentation For Us Income Affidavits

Went this past week to Chiang Mai Immigration to convert Visa Exempt to Non-Imm. O Retirement.

They would NOT accept the US Consulate Income Affidavit Form, without backup documentation

corroborating the monthly income -- i.e. They wanted Letter from Govt. certifying Pension money (or presumably similarly from

private Company Pension). Note: I even had brought with me ATM Slips showing cash withdrawals from just the past few days of

75,000 THB (more than the monthly required min. income), along with our apartment Lease Agreement, copies of Citigold ATM Cards, etc.

In response, they showed me 'examples' of Letter certified by Canada Consulate (in lieu of Affidavit form) -- note US Consulate

will NOT verify your income per their published policy (I explained this to the Thai Imm. Officers that US Consulate will not do this, and they

would not budge). Further, they expressly wanted it to be "PENSION" income only -- not investment/interest/savings income.

In my case, as a (retired) self-employed Attorney, impossible to provide such documentation. Meaning, only Money-in-Thai-Bank

method will now be satisfactory for persons in similar circumstances.

Interestingly (or, more accurately, contrarily), they also handed me a half-page printed Instruction form, with the usual financial requirements stating the alternatives for showing the 65000 THB monthly income and/or the 800K in the Thai Bank. But, with respect to the Income method their own instruction sheet expressly states: "The applicant must be able to comply with any of hte 3 requirements: 1. Proof of INCOME OR Pension from the country of Origin in the amount of not less than Baht 65,000 per month certified by his/her Embassy or Consulte in Thailand." Note: It says nothing about corroborating documentation, nor does it limit the monthly income to only "Pension" money. So, it would seem that the form Affidavit supplied by and certified by your US Consulate fully complies with their own instructions!

Finally, for those self-professed TV Gurus and 'flamers', who will immediately reply we must have done something wrong -- forget about it.

My wife and I were dressed in nice slacks and button down shirts, good shoes, spoke softly and nicely to the Imm. Officers

including the "Sawadee" greeting etc. No arguments or any problems from us (with initial Imm. Officer), until after the Sgt. Major called

us up later, to tell us they would not issue the Visa, for the reasons noted above.

Through tactful appeal up the chain of command, from Sgt. Major, to Captain, and finally to head Inspector of the CM District Office, we did finally prevail in obtaining our 90-day Non-Immig. "O", but only with strict admonition that 'next time" when we come in 60 days for our 1-year Extension of Stay, if we use Income Method, supporting documentation WILL be required!

And, yes, I know that Thai Immig. has always had discretion to ask for supporting proof. That's not what this 'heads up' Post is about.

From what I was advised, this WILL now be the Policy for everyone using the Income Affidavit for Retirement Visa and Extensions -- at least

with respect to using the US Consulate Income Affidavit.

Suggest anyone applying for Retirement Visa, Extension of Stay, or Renewal of Stay, should be prepared.

I see a contradiction in your post. First you said – quite correctly:

...US Consulate will NOT verify your income per their published policy...

With this, you confirmed immigration's position that the the consular letter is not PROOF of income.

Next you said:

with respect to the Income method their own instruction sheet expressly states: "The applicant must be able to comply with any of hte 3 requirements: 1. Proof of INCOME OR Pension from the country of Origin in the amount of not less than Baht 65,000 per month certified by his/her Embassy or Consulte in Thailand." Note: It says nothing about corroborating documentation, nor does it limit the monthly income to only "Pension" money. So, it would seem that the form Affidavit supplied by and certified by your US Consulate fully complies with their own instructions!

It is important to understand that the US consulate does not certify your income. All it does is certify that you stated under oath that your statement regarding your income is correct and that the signature on the statement is yours. It for this reason, ie for the fact that the consulates of some countries do not verify and certify the income – do not give PROOF of income – that the immigration offices are increasingly requiring supporting documents from the foreigners of these countries as PROOF of the income indicated in the affidavit.

I have found it rather unfair that all these americans have their "letter" containing "whatever" amounts in there, and so easily get´s their retirement extensions... And in many cases it was just

"words" written down by people and than they gave these worthless documents to the immigration here in Thailand.

I think that this is the correct way of doing this. I mean questioning this letter that the american embassy gives out so easily to all citizen, it shows only disrespect to Thailand and to the rest of the world in my eyes...Unfortunately all the rest of us will suffer from this without any reason.

Glegolo