Problem With Ais Sms

arnestockholm

Hello Forum, I switched yesterday from my DTAC prepaid card to the AIS prepaid card (mostly because AIS offers data roaming). I don`t transfer my number. AIS works very well and the call quality is very good. Also data works ok so far. But I have huge issues with SMS. Send some test SMS from my home carrier and also DTAC but they are arriving at least very slow mostly never. Also only some KBank alerts coming true not all. I have absolute no idea what is going wrong. Using an iPhone 5. Well SMS is not the most used feature but I can`t understand why its so unreliable. Have any one the same issues? Thanks for help. Arne

I suspect that for those periods when you are roaming onto TOT that AIS cannot "find" you to 'forward' the SMS. You may also not even to be able to receive voice calls.

Roaming here is probably a bit different than what we might expect in other locales? ;)

I assume you changed your telephone number with Kasikorn? Typically this involves a lengthy visit to your home branch heavily laden with documents, at least it did for me with BBL and SCB when I changed telephone numbers.

Finally, SMS is not a guaranteed service. That is to say, no service providers offer guaranteed SMS delivery service as it is more of a best try service dependent on network handling issues, and after a few tries SMSes are discarded.

Thanks for your answer. What do you mean with roaming on TOT? The issue happening not when I am travelling they are currently happening when I am in Bangkok. So voice calls works fine in the same time.

On Kasikorn you can just switch the numbers online and at the ATM and the strange is that some SMS come true some not. Very strange.

This may be a little challenging to explain but with AIS you may be, at any particular moment, roaming from AIS onto TOT's network. You would not necessarily be aware of this, although your phone may optionally give you some notification of this event, and it can happen anywhere, anytime. In some cases you may be constantly flipping back and forth between AIS and TOT, hence the intermittent delivery of SMSes - it can take a few minutes for AIS to "find" you again once you return from your "TOT journey".

I am not saying this as an absolute, but as one potential explanation. AIS's network is woefully under-provisioned, or over-subscribed, facilitated by a hodge-podge of equipment accumulated over the years, with an antiquated subscriber/network management infrastructure. The roaming agreement with TOT is meant to address this issue until msuch tiome as they can build-out 2,100 MHz. Honestly, DTAC or TrueMove H might be better options, presently.

To make the two networks work seamlessly, both AIS and TOT would need need to invest in new core infrastructure with tight integration. Has not happened, most likely will not.

As its a pure roaming arrangement, when it hands over, your call will drop as its connecting to the new approved operator. On my AIS sim, i can wait up to a few minutes until the connection is made. The agreement gives AIS more coverage than they have now themselves , at the cost of user experience / network quality.