Legalisation Of Documents In Chiang Mai

Mario2008

Many people don't now that the Thai Ministry of Forreign Affairs, Department of Consular Affairs also has a branch in Chiang Mai where you can have official documents legalised.

The address is:

Legalization Division

Department of Consular Affairs

Chiang Mai Provincial Hall Building

Chotana Road, T.Chang Puek

A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50000

Tel.: 053-112-748, 053-112-749, or 053-112-750

(On the ground floor, next to the passport office).

Legalisation of a document costs 400 baht per page (ready after 2 work days), express service is 800 baht, ready the same day but must be handed in before 12:00.

You can have the documents send back to you by EMS to your address. This service costs 60 baht. Don't bring your own stamps or enveloppe, it is included in the price. They will give an enveloppe where you have to write your address on.

Very quick service, was in and out in less than 20 minutes and received the documents back by EMS 5 days later (including a weekend).

Info: http://www.chiangmai.go.th/passport/1341304796.pdf

• Like 2

Why would you need to have documents legalized? I know this may be a dumb question, but I've lived here for years and have never had the need for any document to be "legalized".

(But, I've never owned a car, home, gotten married, divorced or had a baby here -- maybe you have to obtain "legalization" og documents when you engage in one of these activites)

But, I've never owned a car, home, gotten married, divorced or had a baby here -- maybe you have to obtain "legalization" og documents when you engage in one of these activites.

Also visas, foreign bank accounts, stock trading accounts etc. Maily required for overseas stuff. But every Enbassy or organisation may have different requirements. Thanks for the link Mario, may come in handy some time.

Why would you need to have documents legalized? I know this may be a dumb question, but I've lived here for years and have never had the need for any document to be "legalized".

(But, I've never owned a car, home, gotten married, divorced or had a baby here -- maybe you have to obtain "legalization" og documents when you engage in one of these activites)

Are you a nun??!! biggrin.png This is something you should look into, NancyL. You have a general sense of the necessity. You should make a field trip!

This new office is a huge convenience! Before, anything that had to be referred to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) had to go to Bangkok!

It is easy to find the office. It is in the large building (They all are, actually!) on the ground floor of the south side of the large "campus," as I recall. Anyway, just ask for the MOFA office.

If it is difficult to get there, visit some professionals in town. They probably would actually do a better job of giving you a comprehensive look at why the MOF seal of approval is necessary in many transactions. The clerks at the MOFA office is basically like clerks in most places, but not tuned to giving you a complete rundown on everything.

Edited by Mapguy

Finding a parking space sure was the hardest part of getting the legalisation done.

An interesting note is that the office grades the work of the translation agencies that submit translated work. For example here is the list for August 2012:

http://www.chiangmai...august 2555.pdf

But you don't need to use a translation agency, you can do your own translation.

• 2 months later...

I used this service this week. The MOFA were very professional, spoke excellent English, really good.

I had a translation done at Chiang Mai University Language Institute. No joke, when I picked it up from the MOFA, there were more things wrong in the translation than right. CMU did make the corrections for free though, and the MOFA then processed everything immediately for no extra charge.

An amendment is in order for the OP, all documents are 200B per page standard (2 days), and 400B urgent (while you wait).