Built A House Now A Problem...?

walking wallet

I have just had a bungalow type house built, and was able to be there for most of the time to " watch " the builders and to stop them from doing any thing I did not like !!, my problem came when I had to leave watching the builders to my wife, on my return I checked the finished house, and was very disappointed with the external and internal wall rendering ( I think its called in Thai " chap " ) they had done, looking at the walls you can see many bumps and marks all over the place, espically when the sun light is on them, my wife said she only noticed the bumps and marks after the walls were painted. Which was by then too late, So here's my problem how can I cover the bumps and marks...? ive heard about some white concrete ( in Thai I thinks its called " boon " ) that can be skimmed over the marks , then re painted, has any one ever seen this done...? . the other option I can think of for the internal walls is wall paper, but on checking the price at Home Pro, its going to work out very dear !!... so has any one got another idea what I can do to cover the bad workman ship ...? the thought of having to remove all the existing rendering is just some thing I can't think about , and may be if I did have it all removed it may upset the ceiling , causing cracking. so can any one come up with some ideas or experiences.

Thanks ..... WW

Think you have two choices. Both cost money. One would be the wallpaper (foam backing type so you don't see bumps) or ceramic tile. As tile is quite inexpensive and can be quite attractive if applied in a design that is what I chose for a wall what was bad.

If you don't want to go to that expense perhaps a flat paint as used for ceilings with black mixed in to make if off white would help conceal the bumps from the sun.

Can you describe the exact appearance of those bumps and marks?...in exact details

Most likely they will be comming from a few sources

1) from the stucco or plaster finished over the wall blocks/bricks....or

2) from the incorrect amount of water in the composition of the wall paints (if they used the paint sprayer)....or

3) they were doing during the very hot or wet day without the proper preparation

or other problems all together....

Edited by BKK90210

Thanks for the re-plys , the bumps & marks are from when the rendering was skimmed on its just un even, and the marks are where I think that there been a " crack " in the rendering after its dried and they have filled the crack with some sort of filler , and then smoothed it over, leaving a differant surface texture, over all I think the bumps and marks are only the rendering not some thing to do with the brick work ..? its just down to poor work manship ( trust me not to be there when the rendering was done !!) now we are left with rendering that looks like the surface of the moon !!. ive seen some thing used in new houses in Pattaya, that looks like the rendering is sort of sprayed on, leaving a surface a bit like wood chip wall paper finish, this may cover the bumps and marks I have , but out here in the sticks, i think its not avaiable. now stuck for answers.

Thanks .... WW

Thanks for the re-plys , the bumps & marks are from when the rendering was skimmed on its just un even, and the marks are where I think that there been a " crack " in the rendering after its dried and they have filled the crack with some sort of filler , and then smoothed it over, leaving a differant surface texture, over all I think the bumps and marks are only the rendering not some thing to do with the brick work ..? its just down to poor work manship ( trust me not to be there when the rendering was done !!) now we are left with rendering that looks like the surface of the moon !!. ive seen some thing used in new houses in Pattaya, that looks like the rendering is sort of sprayed on, leaving a surface a bit like wood chip wall paper finish, this may cover the bumps and marks I have , but out here in the sticks, i think its not avaiable. now stuck for answers.

Thanks .... WW

Oh...that's bad then. Below is the only way I can think of for now

If just a few bumps - you can sand them first and repaint it.....but

If you have too many of them to sand, then don't waste your time. Since you also don't have an access to paint sprayer....then the only solution I can think of is below

"TEXTURE HAND ROLLER"

Go to HomePro or similar places....then go to the paint supply department and look for the hand texture roller area. These rollers come in different textures pattern (range from basic to some fancy one), so find the one that will help disguise your wall problems. Some of them will make your wall quite beautiful in fact and you will be envied among your neighbours at the end!

In addition some of these rollers will take a lighter paint, while other will take a heavier paint. Just choose a few patterns and try them all on the wall, to see which one you like best. Then ask your contractor to roll the wall for you, since it was their mistake.

This is the cheapest and the easiest solution I can think of. They are not expensive, just about 200 baths I think. In fact before returning to the USA, we just bought one of the patterns from HomePro - the brand name is "Jotun"

Hope this will help

BKK

Edited by BKK90210