Id Cards For Aliens

My girlfriend is Thai Yai, born in Myanmar.

She has lived in Thailand for 20years.

She has a Thai id card that does not permit travel outside Chiang Mai.

Is it possible to change this to a type which permits travel or for her to obtain Thai citizenship?

whistling.gif Well, I once knew a Burmese born woman whose family was basically deported to Thailand from Burma back when the Generals then seized power in Burma.

The family was a mixture of Thai and Burmese nationalities.

It took her some time, but she eventually became a Thai citizen and recieved a Thai I.D. card.

But it was a long and involved process....took several years to get it approved.

The fact that her family was quite wealthy in Burma probably didn't hurt her case.

But it seems to have been a long process to go through.

Yes ok, but I fail to see why people ask here rather than using the phone. Thai Immigration would then tell you, to the best of their ability admittedly, which authority should be contacted. They generally have someone that speaks English.

Yes ok, but I fail to see why people ask here rather than using the phone. Thai Immigration would then tell you, to the best of their ability admittedly, which authority should be contacted. They generally have someone that speaks English.

Or even better, use a carrier pigeon.

The identification documents for ethnic minorities are issued by the local Govt offices (ie. Amphur) under the department of provincial affairs.

I think Mario's suggestion to get in touch with some of the NGO's is the best idea.

Wish you best of luck with that!

Edited by Dork