Grass Seed

May I suggest you may get a better response if you ask a mod to repost in the Real estate/diy forum and or if you told people where abouts you are or where you could get to it may help narrow down any responses.

It has come up before and there was this recentish topic on turf in the Pattaya forum -

Plenty Turf available now in Pattaya and back to pre flood (normal) prices, also 1Lb cans of imported grass seed @ 650 Baht at the market opposite Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

But as topt said - no idea where the OP is so don't know if that is useful or not?

Plenty Turf available now in Pattaya and back to pre flood (normal) prices, also 1Lb cans of imported grass seed @ 650 Baht at the market opposite Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

But as topt said - no idea where the OP is so don't know if that is useful or not?

What are pre flood prices in Pattaya?

I bought very good quality Malaysian grass turfs in Sattahip about a month ago at 30 Baht/sqm. Not at the shop that is delivering to the market in Pattaya as they insisted on 40 Baht but just 50 meters down the road.Costed me 300 Baht for delivery to Pattaya

http://www.thaivisa....a/#entry5692591

As for the cans of seed ( Claimed to be Bermuda grass from Westar)c02gjvvitc7vweq8n.jpg,less than 6 months ago they were 450 Baht at the Pattaya market, so they seem to get greedy again.

I have bought and seeded them 2 times in the past 6 months, and finally laid turfs.

Edited by jbrain

I bought very good quality Malaysian grass turfs in Sattahip about a month ago at 30 Baht/sqm. Not at the shop that is delivering to the market in Pattaya as they insisted on 40 Baht but just 50 meters down the road.Costed me 300 Baht for delivery to Pattaya

As for the cans of seed ( Claimed to be Bermuda grass from Westar)c02gjvvitc7vweq8n.jpg,less than 6 months ago they were 450 Baht at the Pattaya market, so they seem to get greedy again.

I have bought and seeded them 2 times in the past 6 months, and finally laid turfs.

From the same shop you use, 24Bt / SqM for the normal fine grass and 28 Bt / SqM for the broadleaf malayan grass, free delivery as normal, but this might be a price for me as i order probably 300 SqM + every month, the prices you quote are about right for normal one off buyers.

From the same shop you use, 24Bt / SqM for the normal fine grass and 28 Bt / SqM for the broadleaf malayan grass, free delivery as normal, but this might be a price for me as i order probably 300 SqM + every month, the prices you quote are about right for normal one off buyers.

Lenny,

I understand that you also use the second shop starting from the traffic lights towards Pattaya run by the old couple, and not the first much bigger shop.Is that correct?

What are the gangsters at the Mini Siam market charging these days?

I live in Nakhon Si Thammarhat. I don't care for broad leaf grass, thanks. Seed is easy, cheap and fast to ship by EMS, too. So seed is the way to go, besides, I just prefer seed.

Why did you try seeding twice, then go back to turf? Didn't take? Not really Bermuda?

How many sq meters, +/-, will a can seed? Is it self-propogating later?

This will answer all your questions

http://www.bermudagrass.com/seeding/

I found that the cans sold a the market had a low germination rate.Keep also in mind that seeding needs some experience and a lot of care taking in the first month or so.

Another thing to consider is that in Pattaya it is very difficult to find half decent top soil. Malaysian grass sods on the other hand grow on almost any soil condition.

I found that the cans sold a the market had a low germination rate.Keep also in mind that seeding needs some experience and a lot of care taking in the first month or so.

Another thing to consider is that in Pattaya it is very difficult to find half decent top soil. Malaysian grass sods on the other hand grow on almost any soil condition.

Thanks. I grew up in Florida, seeded many lawns with Bermuda. Low germ is a drag, but even 50% is acceptable. There are many boxing cows here in NST. I've got all the owners dropping off pick-up loads of manure. Building up the land a meter with rock, gravel, then a foot of sand. I'll mix the cow crap with the sand. Should do nicely.

• Like 1

Thanks. I grew up in Florida, seeded many lawns with Bermuda. Low germ is a drag, but even 50% is acceptable. There are many boxing cows here in NST. I've got all the owners dropping off pick-up loads of manure. Building up the land a meter with rock, gravel, then a foot of sand. I'll mix the cow crap with the sand. Should do nicely.

Sorry, I forgot we are in the farming forum and not the pattaya forum.

With the rainy season about to start in the east south coast, I would say seed will just wash away, or become too wet and just rot.... if you do it now....

If you are in N S T area, do none of the nurseries just north of there not have turf? It would surprise me if they cannot bring in...

I'd say safer and easier to do turf... if you want to "cut costs", you can make plugs out of the turf and plant about 6 to 9" apart.... they should fill in fairly quickly.... either type of grass works well, doing that... although a little tedious to do, but not that hard!!! ! wink.png

I will soon be having the same thing to go through, and am also in the situation of being unable to find good top soil. Not sure about this, but your recipe sounds like you will be having really dry conditions for most of the year. Cow manure plus sand should be ok short term but don't you think that in the long term all organic matter will be completely consumed , leaving you with sand? I dug in a lot of manure into our garden three months ago, turning it over yesterday there didn't seem to be much left.

My recipe for our very heavy soil is adding sand and manure, so maybe you might think about adding something like the common or garden soil as you might find around Pattaya in order to give things something to root into and retain moisture.

I seeded many acres of lawn, albeit in Switzerland so I don't claim to know much about tropical gardening.

Well, now I've decided to keep some trees, so it will be shady, ruling out Bermuda. So Zoysia it is.

I haven't seen sod in theses parts, and none of the locals seem to have knowledge, most likely because none have grass, just dirt or gravel. I'll have to drive a bit and look.

Anything I should know about Zoysia? I have a strong well, plenty of water. Are reel-type mowers available here? Being retired, I will spend my time treating my lawn like a newborn, happily so.

Yes, Cooked, you're right. I'll have to add a few loads od "soil" to the mix.

Well, now I've decided to keep some trees, so it will be shady, ruling out Bermuda. So Zoysia it is.

I haven't seen sod in theses parts, and none of the locals seem to have knowledge, most likely because none have grass, just dirt or gravel. I'll have to drive a bit and look.

Anything I should know about Zoysia? I have a strong well, plenty of water. Are reel-type mowers available here? Being retired, I will spend my time treating my lawn like a newborn, happily so.

Yes, Cooked, you're right. I'll have to add a few loads od "soil" to the mix.

I hate to tell you but Zoysia does not like shade at all. Either does Bermuda grass. I can not understand why people in Thailand even bother with Bermuda grass lawn cultivars. The grass-type Bermuda grasses do better here than the turf types. Back to Zoysia. It needs a lot of care to even grow well in the sunlight. Malaysia grass gives you the better option, being able to grow in both shade and sunlight. Hopefully, with my research, I will be able to sort out commercial seed production of Malaysia grass and Zoysia within the next few years.

There are a number of varieties of Zoysia grass.... sourcing seed is extremely difficult here ...(I looked into this earlier in the year) .... not to mention some of the varieties are very tedious to get to germinate... (months some times)

I think the weeds will win while you wait for germination !!!! wink.png