Home Made Jimmy Dean's Sausage

Tywais

Great pics thank you for sharing.

Where did you get those rings ? I have a few uses & now sausage patties.

Big C (where I got mine), Tesco Lotus should have them. Believe it was around 69 Baht. Probably most places selling kitchen utensils. They are used for cooking eggs and I believe rice cakes or similar. All the spices I found at Rimping Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Back in the U.S. my local supermarket (Star) would have Jimmy Dean Sausage - fresh, not frozen - on sale maybe every 3 months or so. I'd always buy five or so one pound tubes of the Sage flavor, cut it into 4 pieces, press it out, then freeze the patties. Always cooked outside on the gas grill, usually for a sandwich, on a fresh hard roll. Mmmm.

I may up the sage to a TSP or so?

post-9615-0-21605000-1351945729_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

I'd always buy five or so one pound tubes of the Sage flavor, cut it into 4 pieces, press it out, then freeze the patties.

That's what I used to do when had them in the US. Also, what I'm doing here with my homemade ones. You can see them in the foil and then popped into the freezer. Normally I wouldn't use foil and freeze but they have been going so fast I don't have to worry about freezer burn or drying out. biggrin.png

I may up the sage to a TSP or so?

They had a sage version but much less red pepper in it and added dried parsley. I also added the ginger and nutmeg based on a 3rd recipe. I was considering upping the sage a bit on my next, 3rd batch.

Found these:

Sage

16 ounces ground pork

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon dried parsley

1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/4 teaspoon coriander

1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent flavor enhancer)

Hot

16 ounces ground pork

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/4 teaspoon coriander

1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent)

Maple

16 ounces ground pork

3 tablespoons maple flavored syrup

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent)

1/4 teaspoon coriander

I made the Sage recipe, sans MSG, and upped the spices a bit. Results were excellent. Thanks again.

Good to hear that it worked out for you. Did you use the standard Thai mince pork or a coarser grind. I find the mince just a bit too fine as the cooked paddies aren't 'crumbly'. But it has been so long since I've had real JD sausage can't remember what the texture was like. biggrin.png

I just used standard off-the Foodland-shelf ground pork but did work it extensively as I prefer a fine texture which allows for ultra-thin patties - I think JD and other sausages of this style are ground multiple times - if only to insure consistency and facilitate extrusion.. And a lot of the "best burgers" in the U.S. use twice ground beef, in addition to being flat-topped and steamed.

I would recommend letting the spice/pork mixture sit in the 'fridge overnight before portioning and freezing as this really imbues pork with the spice flavors.

I would recommend letting the spice/pork mixture sit in the 'fridge overnight before portioning and freezing as this really imbues pork with the spice flavors.

Good point as I did notice a difference (better) after sitting for a while.

More importantly it allows the salt time to chemically alter the protein. If I am remembering correctly, before the chemical change, cooking protein causes it to constrict and squeeze out moisture. If you give the salt time to alter the protein it no longer constricts when cooked which allows the juices to remain inside the protein. I believe I got that from Alton Brown's show.

Used to make Italian sausage in China because I couldn't find it locally- had a UK buddy with a great recipe and we'd get together and make a batch occasionally. I miss breakfast sausage with my eggs. Thanks, OP- I'll be looking for the ingredients.

More importantly it allows the salt time to chemically alter the protein. If I am remembering correctly, before the chemical change, cooking protein causes it to constrict and squeeze out moisture. If you give the salt time to alter the protein it no longer constricts when cooked which allows the juices to remain inside the protein. I believe I got that from Alton Brown's show.

I actually cut pretty far back on the salt so I'm not sure I added enough to chemically alter the protein?

I did love "Good Eats", not Alton seems to just host "Iron Chef America".

Edited by lomatopo

I actually cut pretty far back on the salt so I'm not sure I added enough to chemically alter the protein?

I did love "Good Eats", not Alton seems to just host "Iron Chef America".

My understanding it is MSG that alters the protein, breaks it down thus tenderizing it. Didn't know about salt having that behavior though.

Sausage King makes a decent Jimmy Dean sausage--just hard to find them.

I agree with both - decent JD sausage and hard to find. wink.png I also prefer mine spicy, the SK that I was able to find was too mild for me.

Sausage King makes a decent Jimmy Dean sausage--just hard to find them.

I agree with both - decent JD sausage and hard to find. wink.png I also prefer mine spicy, the SK that I was able to find was too mild for me.

Sausage King does mild and spicy Jimmy Deans and i agree myself i like the spicy jimmy Deans we make. http://www.sausage-king1.com/sausages/121-jimmy-dean-us-style-breakfast-patties-500g.html

1/2 tsp of ground fennel seeds

Had to look that up. smile.png

Fennel seeds are used in European, Middle Eastern, Indian and Chinese cuisines. They are ground into spice mixtures and added to soups, sauces, fish dishes, lamb- or potato-based curries, pickles, condiments, breads, cakes, pancakes, desserts, confectionery and drinks. In India, they are chewed as a breath freshener and digestive aid.

Fennel Seeds

I think some classic English sausages use fennel; I think I remember a Jamie Oliver show/recipe where he added fennel to his "bangers'? And a lot of my favorite Italian-style (admittedly in Boston, MA U.S.A.) sausages use fennel. I had a sausage parm sub last month on a visit that was easily the best hot sub I've ever had - my friend said they make their own sausage at this place, and it was heavy on the fennel, whole seeds. No more meatball parms for me.

I think some classic English sausages use fennel; I think I remember a Jamie Oliver show/recipe where he added fennel to his "bangers'? And a lot of my favorite Italian-style (admittedly in Boston, MA U.S.A.) sausages use fennel. I had a sausage parm sub last month on a visit that was easily the best hot sub I've ever had - my friend said they make their own sausage at this place, and it was heavy on the fennel, whole seeds. No more meatball parms for me.

Jamie Oliver loves fennel. He puts it in many of his recipes.

I like Jimmy Deans. I just came back from the US this week, and I brought 6 packages with me. I rather like cutting them into slices and serving them with my spaghetti--I like that better than with the Italian-style sausages available at Villa.

The sage has already been used--I made stuffing for the turkey I brought back with me. I should have gotten two of the sage as I really like that variety.

Twais. I found all the ingredients except the large bottle of cayenne. SO I put everything back on the shelf. What is the difference between the cayenne flakes and cayenne ground? I mean, yes, flakes are larger. But why not just use one type of cayenne?

You can use either and double up. It's mainly a texture/appearance thing I believe as I'm sure they have the same degree of 'hotness'. I remember in the original JD 'Hot' version you could see little pieces of red pepper which sometimes were hot spots. wink.png

//edit - In other words, the ground mixes more thoroughly into the mixture. I wasn't sure but bought both since they were there.

//edit2 - Just remembered, the recipe called for red pepper flakes which I couldn't find so saw the coarser ground Cayenne and used it in lieu.

• 2 weeks later...

Today, I ventured into the unknown. biggrin.png

I used Twais´s posted recipe, with just a couple of exceptions.

I used two EIDs. External improvised device.

Could not find ground coriander, so I bought the cheaper Thai packaged and used the first EID.

post-53467-0-17207900-1354190694_thumb.j

Beat the coriander seeds all to hell until wife begged that I stop.

Second EID, well. I could not find the dam_n egg thingy. Went to two supers and none in sight.

Wife, promising a future of pain if I even find a mia noi, took out a large knife and an empty small bottle of water.

post-53467-0-59469100-1354190692_thumb.j

Patties came out in all different sizes, but at least the correct shape and 18 patties. I gather mine are two small, compared to 11 patties in the recipe. But I made a larger batch to test both.

Tomorrow we shall test this JD extravaganza.

Missed this update. Clever wife about making cylinders out of plastic bottles. If your wife is like mine when it comes to making Sohm Tahm you could have just handed over the mortar and pestle and say "dear, you are so much better at this then I, would you mind?" You get your grind and she's tickled with your thoughtfulness. biggrin.png

So, how did it come out?