Where Should Give Birth Thai Or Australia?

BuffaloRescue

Hi

Wife is Thai & Australian (dual citizenship). I am Australian.

Wife is preggers. We want child to be Thai and Australian if its a girl (not sure yet). Or just Australian if a boy (so dont have to do military service).

So if the scan shows its a girl, should she have the child in Thailand and get the Thai citizenship and apply for Australian later. Or should she have in Australia and apply for Thai later?

We plan to move back to Thailand soon to live.

Thanks

Probably best to get professional advice in Thailand, such a straighforward question shouldn't be expensive to get answered.

Personally I believe your intention to prevent the military service obligation may well prevent your son from becoming a full Thai citizen in the future, while having them qualify for dual citizenship but simply avoiding living in Thailand by choice to avoid the service is an option. If it's important enough to them in the future there are usually ways and means, and things do change over time, I'd personally opt for the path that left the most choices open down the road, it's entirely possible that being a Thai citizen will be more attractive than Australiana in thirty years.

The child will be Aust/Thai regardless because of its bloodlines.

Cant believe your wife who is Aussie/Thai cant decide....sorry but its a no brainer. Best hospital in Thai is easily outdone here in Aus.

I THINK if its a boy, he can still be Thai but after a certain age and before 30 he will need to go army or pay some cash.

If you want to go Thailand, your mrs cant fly in her 3rd trimester. Check on the airlines own website for their rules about flying pregnant. She will need a dr's letter probably also for the airline.(also check youtube for best seat flying while pregnant)

1 more thing I have been told by a Thai girl here in Aus but yet to confirm is if you have bubs here, to register bubs on her tabien baan, if its done 15 days after birth its alot harder and costs alot more. So idea is send relevant details like birth cert etc to her mum to get it organised at amphur.

Ps, doing some army isnt really a bad thing. If he went he only does a few months I think then free to leave. My wifes son is there and he really likes it, got all his mates there, shooting m16's, fitness etc. Not so bad.

Edited by krisb

Have the child in Australia . . . you say you intend to move to Thailand to live, believe me at some stage you will want to move back to Australia so it would make things simple by have the child born on Australia . . .

Just exactly how does it "make things simple by have the child born on Australia . . ." ?

Have the child in Australia . . . you say you intend to move to Thailand to live, believe me at some stage you will want to move back to Australia so it would make things simple by have the child born on Australia . . .

Just exactly how does it "make things simple by have the child born on Australia . . ." ?

Well its simpler than in Australia Davidbiggrin.png
  • Like 1

<deleted>, you really need to ask where your kids will be better off.

Agreed .. Thailand is an amazing country ... biggrin.png

Not really-its fun if you have money. But id avoid it like the plague, if humanely possible, in raising kids there.

Ridiculous. Raising kids theres fine. The op isnt thinking of rising his child in soi 8 pattaya.

The child will automatically be a Thai citizen regardless of place of birth.

If born in Thailand, his birth certificate will reflect that. You'll need to apply for Australian citizenship via descent through the embassy.

If the child in born on OZ then the australian citizenship will be automatic, and you'll need to apply via the Thai embassy in Canberra for the Thai birth certificate and passport, for which he WILL need for moving back to Thailand. If you think you think moving your child back to Thailand on a foreign passport is sensible, then think again.

There are many ways of getting out of military service, the easiest way of course is via doing cadets during high school in Thailand. It is the way most people do it.

• Like 2

Not so automatic except in principle.

If in Australia, they will only be inflicted with Thai citizenship if you bring the birth to the attention of the Thai authorities.

Vice-versa if born in Thailand.

And in either case, if you were to do so forty years later, I'm sure it wouldn't be straightforward.

Not so automatic except in principle.

If in Australia, they will only be inflicted with Thai citizenship if you bring the birth to the attention of the Thai authorities.

Vice-versa if born in Thailand.

And in either case, if you were to do so forty years later, I'm sure it wouldn't be straightforward.

Effectively what you have explained is the way it happens, but getting he paperwork sorted later in life is always possible so long as you are eligible. I never got my Thai BC sorted till I was 18 via the embassy in Canberra.

Point remains though, the child going back to Thailand (if birn in oz) without a Thai passport doesnt make life any easier if you re going to be growing up there.

<deleted>, you really need to ask where your kids will be better off.

Not really-its fun if you have money. But id avoid it like the plague, if humanely possible, in raising kids there.

Why? Have you any experience of raising kids here? I have and with or without money, I'd say Thailand is a great place to raise kids up until the age of 14 ish, then their education would be better abroad.

As some have already pointed out, where the child is born is absolutely irrelevant to the citizenships in any way shape or form because you and the mother are married. That means that the child would automatically gain both Thai and Australian citizenship whether anyone likes it or not. Registration is another matter.

Why? Have you any experience of raising kids here? I have and with or without money, I'd say Thailand is a great place to raise kids up until the age of 14 ish, then their education would be better abroad.

Some people believe the quality of early-years education has a disproportionate impact on later performance.

If I were well-off in Thailand I could afford to home-school, but sending them to a really good English-speaking school (IMO there are <10 in the whole country) requires true wealth.

If something goes wrong (God forbid) you're much better off in Oz of course.

Ridiculous. Raising kids theres fine. The op isnt thinking of rising his child in soi 8 pattaya.

If you care about their education long-term, you better be rich.

Agree, teacher salaries are too high in this country.

&lt;deleted&gt;, you really need to ask where your kids will be better off.

Thai kids are awesome, so cute and well behaved. I love Thai culture thats why I love Thailand. Its possible to give them a good education. Was thinking Thai primary school then International school., then back to Oz for university if thats what they want to do.. Its not all about money anyway

On second thoughts maybe not an International school ive got some friends from HK and Sing who went to International schools they are a bit strange, like they grew up with kids from all over the world without a specific culture. Does that make sense? They are maybe a bit messed up

Edited by BuffaloRescue
  • Like 1

As some have already pointed out, where the child is born is absolutely irrelevant to the citizenships in any way shape or form because you and the mother are married. That means that the child would automatically gain both Thai and Australian citizenship whether anyone likes it or not. Registration is another matter.

Actually we arent married does that complicate things?

Not really, the child will still have both nationalities but you have to legitimize the child as yours (recognise before the law that the child is indeed yours).

How you officially do that will depend on the country where the child is born.

Not really, the child will still have both nationalities but you have to legitimize the child as yours (recognise before the law that the child is indeed yours).

How you officially do that will depend on the country where the child is born.

In short the OP question now does indeed become more relevant - major detail you missed there 8-)

Australia in general recognizes de-facto marriage as equivalent to registered marriage, so there I think it's a non-issue.

The process of "legitimizing" your status as father is pretty straightforward as long as you have the cooperation of the mother, but either way that shouldn't affect ability to register as a Thai citizen when you/they choose to do so.

But wrt to Thailand I'd still recommend getting professional advice to make sure you know all the rules.

However in the end I think the legal aspects aren't an important factor in your choice, either place will do. Unless you're rich, you're better off in Australia for health and safety issues though.

• Like 1

Thanks

Where is the best hospital in Thailand to deliver babies? What is the process of registering there? We have a home in Chiang Mai so if we need to go to Bangkok probably have to stay in a hotel near the hospital there before and after birth until shes ready to travel back.

Thanks

Thanks

Where is the best hospital in Thailand to deliver babies? What is the process of registering there? We have a home in Chiang Mai so if we need to go to Bangkok probably have to stay in a hotel near the hospital there before and after birth until shes ready to travel back.

Thanks

We had both our children at Samtivej Sukhumvit in Bangkok. But if you are looking at that level, there are many fine hospitals about.

We had insurance, but if you are looking at a no-suprises birth, you are talking 100-150K from memory, including a 2 night stay. That doesn't include the doctors visits before and after, which adds up. Our choice to pay that, but for giving birth, I'd rate it more preferable to anything I've seen in OZ or the UK (not that they are 'shabby' mind you).

All in all though, I'd want to keep your wife close to family. It is a time of change and upheaval, and she'll need all the support she can get.

As already said, where you child is born matters not a jot.

we had our baby in a govt hospital no costs apart from a 1500bht a night private room for three nights,separate bedroom,living room with flatscreen tv and cable i was allowed to bring beer in as well.We were going to use private but dr reassured us babies born everyday easy job,don't waste our money.

Also if you earn under $78000 aud a year you are still entitled to the $5000aud baby bonus it doesn't matter if the baby is born overseas.Check with social security and your accountant

thats about 150 000bht so it is well worth following up,not sure if its a lump sum anymore or paid in increments

Edited by jingjoe8