Retirement Care Facility To Open In Chiang Mai

CareResortChiangMai

In January a luxury care facility for the retired will open in the Chiang Mai area. Care Resort Chiang Mai is located in the tranquil Maerim Valley 20 kms north of Chiang Mai. Set on 27 rai (12 acres) of land the resort only has 53 rooms in its extensive gardens. The gardens contain a lake and approximately 1,000 trees providing outstanding natural beauty. The care facility offers 24 hour care cover with rooms fitted with emergency alarms which alert the central care/nurse station. Trained nurses, stationed in the resort, will check on all guests on a daily basis and provide a weekly medical.

The facility aims to maximise the ability of its guests to be as independent as they wish whilst they obtain all of the care that they need. Daily activities will be arranged for those guests who wish as well as excursions for shopping, religious purposes, tourism and activities. Building a community is a strong desire of the resort.The facilities are available on both a long-term and short-term basis,

It is thought that the luxury facility is unique inside Thailand and maybe in Asia. Full details are available from the website.

post-166813-0-62328100-1351400114_thumb.

Do you charge a guest fee for overnight visitors?

Are you talking about a 'joiners fee'? I would be happy that the fitness is still there!

To take your question seriously,the situation is that if one of our guests wants somebody to share their room for a short term stay that is fine by us, but any meals consumed will of course be chargeable.We also have rooms available for relatives who wish to visit and not share the room.

www.careresortchiangmai.com

What is the nationality of the head of the management team and does he/she have previuos experience in the nursing home industry? Where? Does he/she have a medical degree from another country? If so what is the specialty?

• Like 2

What is the nationality of the head of the management team and does he/she have previuos experience in the nursing home industry? Where? Does he/she have a medical degree from another country? If so what is the specialty?

It is not a nursing home - it is a care facility somewhere where a retired person can live with care available. Anything but basic medical care will be provided by the local healthcare industry.

The head of the management team is British (although I don't know why that is relative), he does not have any medical degree. The nurses will have nursing degrees and experienced with the elderly. For comparison a similar facility in the UK ( where my mother is) has absolutely no medically qualified personnel and all care after 6pm is into a 'call centre' who will decide or not to call out the local doctor.

I can see the pluses for this, in that it would be cheaper than a lot of places abroad.

However, surely this is cancelled out by the lack of insurance or free medical care.

If people are happy and that works for them then fine, but I'm trying to envisage what demographic would be attracted seeing as medical costs would be an "unknown" factor in the equation.

I can see the pluses for this, in that it would be cheaper than a lot of places abroad.

However, surely this is cancelled out by the lack of insurance or free medical care.

If people are happy and that works for them then fine, but I'm trying to envisage what demographic would be attracted seeing as medical costs would be an "unknown" factor in the equation.

don't underestimate the number of foreign retirees (mainly continental Europeans) who have private health insurance valid worldwide. what "CareResort" provides in Chiang Mai would cost a multiple in Germany or Switzerland.

• Like 2

don't underestimate the number of foreign retirees (mainly continental Europeans) who have private health insurance valid worldwide. what "CareResort" provides in Chiang Mai would cost a multiple in Germany or Switzerland.

Still valid for when they're 70,80,90 etc ?

I think some people are confusing this as a Nursing Home as opposed to what I underrstand it to be, more of a supported living environemnt for the elderly. Hence, as within the UK there is no need to have suitably qualified Healthcare professionals managing it.

Wish them all the very best, as IMO something that has been needed for sometime.

Thank you for your best wishes, they really are appreciated

It looks and sounds like a great idea. Hopefully the number of villas will increase in the future.

Will medical insurance be arranged?

Details of the costs on the website would be appreciated.

Edited by CeeBee

I see on your site you are able to care for people with dementia & alzheimers & often wonder what will happen regarding the Visa issue ? If someone is under care will visa extensions be granted ?

At present there is no problem obtaining visa extensions under care, even with dementia problems. Dementia sufferers are not a danger to anyone (unless it is to themselves) and they really benefit from mental stimulation coupled with some sort of routine within which they are involved. The practice of locking them away in a room to watch TV is both cruel and detrimental to their well-being so it is something that we have no intention of doing, balancing activity with safety is the key.

It looks and sounds like a great idea. Hopefully the number of villas will increase in the future.

Will medical insurance be arranged?

Details of the costs on the website would be appreciated.

I hope the numbers of villas will increase in the future, but additionally we do not want to become to big. I never see a situation where there are more than 100 guests. From my standpoint the day that I don't know the names, will be the day to say no more. At the moment I cannot persuade my mother to come here permanently but I always want to run a facility that I'd be proud to have my mother in.My mother is in a similar UK based facility and her views ( both positive and negative) have had a lot to do with the basis of our plans.

I mentioned costs earlier, they depend on people's requirements and choices. We have different standards of villa accommodation and guests will inevitably require different levels of care. For a single guest (not on any kind of shared basis) prices start at 37,000 Baht/month fully inclusive of all meals, activities, electricity, TV, care and nursing but we would like to attract couples as well.

yes, they are and they don't have a cap! but for an affordable premium it is mandatory to become a member (we Europeans don't "buy" insurance) at a young age because it's the entry age which determines future premiums. for somebody considering that kind of insurance at at 60+ the restrictions as well as the premiums are more or less out of reach.

yes, they are and they don't have a cap! but for an affordable premium it is mandatory to become a member (we Europeans don't "buy" insurance) at a young age because it's the entry age which determines future premiums. for somebody considering that kind of insurance at at 60+ the restrictions as well as the premiums are more or less out of reach.

Would you care to divulge company names (you did say it was private insurance?) as most companies seem to chuck one off around 60 or 70.

I hope the numbers of villas will increase in the future, but additionally we do not want to become to big. I never see a situation where there are more than 100 guests. From my standpoint the day that I don't know the names, will be the day to say no more. At the moment I cannot persuade my mother to come here permanently but I always want to run a facility that I'd be proud to have my mother in.My mother is in a similar UK based facility and her views ( both positive and negative) have had a lot to do with the basis of our plans.

I mentioned costs earlier, they depend on people's requirements and choices. We have different standards of villa accommodation and guests will inevitably require different levels of care. For a single guest (not on any kind of shared basis) prices start at 37,000 Baht/month fully inclusive of all meals, activities, electricity, TV, care and nursing but we would like to attract couples as well.

i'm not trying to submit some smartàss advice but think you should consider to cater also for nationals who's language is French or German (e.g. SAT-TV and multilingual nursing personnel). shooting from the hip by evaluating what you are offering (small villa including utilities, meals and additional services for a surcharge) the equivalent cost in Switzerland or Germany is between €UR 6,000 (240,000 Baht) monthly and sky's the limit plus an initial capital shell-out of €/CHF 25-50k which does not yield any return.

my figures are based on a small survey conducted 1½ years ago and i'm sure the cost has not gone down.

• Like 1

Would you care to divulge company names (you did say it was private insurance?) as most companies seem to chuck one off around 60 or 70.

there are half a dozen insurance companies. ours is AXA which also provides various insurance in Thailand.

• Like 1

i'm not trying to submit some smartàss advice but think you should consider to cater also for nationals who's language is French or German (e.g. SAT-TV and multilingual nursing personnel). shooting from the hip by evaluating what you are offering (small villa including utilities, meals and additional services for a surcharge) the equivalent cost in Switzerland or Germany is between €UR 6,000 (240,000 Baht) monthly and sky's the limit plus an initial capital shell-out of €/CHF 25-50k which does not yield any return.

my figures are based on a small survey conducted 1½ years ago and i'm sure the cost has not gone down.

Thank you for the advice. You are the 2nd person to advise me of that in 2 days. I will try to get the languages on the website

LMG Insurance offers insurance to the elderly. Obviously circumstances differ but by excluding outpatient insurance premiums can be affordable

Yes, but you need to sign on with LMG before a certain age... 60???...in order to gain the ability to keep their policy in later years...at least that's what their policy info claims. Of course, their rates chart only goes up to a certain age, and after that, they don't clearly say what their annual coverage rates would/will be.

But LMG does have various coverage options, including covering or not covering outpatient care, and several different levels of annual deductible amounts that can significantly reduce their annual premiums...I believe, up to 40% discount if you choose their highest annual deductible amount.

But more on the point of the thread, I'm glad to read of the opening of this facility, and glad that they have chosen to market themselves by becoming a ThaiVisa sponsor. I hope it is well-run, caring and responsible operation that will keep a good reputation for many years to come. Thailand certainly needs that kind of facility for its elderly expat population. And most of us are likely to reach the "elderly" stage at some point.

Back in the States, my parents have lived pretty happily in an assistive care facility for many years, and are glad they made that choice in their early/elderly years. Their facility was a hilltop condo project that got caught in the real estate downturn, and then was repurposed as an assistive care operation. To see it, you'd think it was just a normal and very nice condo development.

But their facility likewise provides the various assistive care services at a monthly price that's significantly higher as you might expect in the U.S. In their case, they had to buy their condo to live in, and then pay a monthly service fee for the various assistive services as long as they live there, including a meal plan, excursions and activities, daily unit checks by staff, etc etc... But like CM, actual nurse and doctor services need to be handled separately.

One thing I'd wonder about the CM facility is it sounds from the description like it's quite far in KM's from the center of the city. So if one of the residents there needs to make a hospital/doctor trip into CM, how would that get handled? Or would separate/private medical care get handled in some different way?

• Like 1

But more on the point of the thread, I'm glad to read of the opening of this facility, and glad that they have chosen to market themselves by becoming a ThaiVisa sponsor. I hope it is well-run, caring and responsible operation that will keep a good reputation for many years to come. Thailand certainly needs that kind of facility for its elderly expat population. And most of us are likely to reach the "elderly" stage at some point.

Back in the States, my parents have lived pretty happily in an assistive care facility for many years, and are glad they made that choice in their early/elderly years. Their facility was a hilltop condo project that got caught in the real estate downturn, and then was repurposed as an assistive care operation. To see it, you'd think it was just a normal and very nice condo development.

But their facility likewise provides the various assistive care services at a monthly price that's significantly higher as you might expect in the U.S. In their case, they had to buy their condo to live in, and then pay a monthly service fee for the various assistive services as long as they live there, including a meal plan, excursions and activities, daily unit checks by staff, etc etc... But like CM, actual nurse and doctor services need to be handled separately.

One thing I'd wonder about the CM facility is it sounds from the description like it's quite far in KM's from the center of the city. So if one of the residents there needs to make a hospital/doctor trip into CM, how would that get handled? Or would separate/private medical care get handled in some different way?

Thank you for your comments. I know we care, how well we manage it, time will tell but I am confident.

Yes we are 20kms from the city, but that is 20 Chiangmai kms which are significantly shorter in time than Bangkok kms. Depending on the requirement we would either drive them straight to the hospital or call an ambulance. It takes 20-30 minutes to the 'best' hospital depending upon the time of day and 15 minutes to the nearest hospital.

www,careresortchiangmai.com