howto

FYI

Called everybody, not available.

Here is the email to/from invadeit...

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:34 AM, invadeIT wrote:

Hi I want to buy

3 units of

Samsung Solid State Drive "SSD 840 Pro-128gb"

and wondering if you can get them for me.

If yes, how much would it cost?

Product model number is MZ-7PD128BW.

Thanks

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Thomas Skyum

Phone: 08 2014 7766 - [email protected]

invadeIT Co., Ltd.

59/77 Petchasem Road Soi 3/3,

77110 Hua Hin, Prachuabkhirikhan

www.invadeit.co.th

Thank you for your inquiry.

I'm afraid

we can't get Samsung SSDs here in Thailand.

For some very odd reason

none of Samsung's distributors here

have chosen to import the SSD products.

We are getting a lot of requests for them,

but we've given up

on trying to convince the distributors

that there would be

great sales in the SSD products from Samsung.

Best regards

ARRRGGG !!! TIT !!!

I too have been looking for this model of SSD drive. thanks for the

input "howto".........

would there be any problems with customs, post office, etc. if I bought

this unit from outside Thailand??? Of course, I do expect to pay the Thai

7% VAT if required.

any suggestions who is the best vendor to buy this hard drive that ships to

Thailand besides Amazon???

Thanks

I'll post more details when I find them

It's been that way with the top of the range/performance Samsung hard disks in Thailand for years.

The 840 Pro isn't yet available for sale in the US so no hope getting it in Thailand for a while even if someone decided to distribute it here, then there is the question of how much of a premium over US prices you would have to pay. Maybe later you could try getting one from Australia or Singapore if you haven't got someone who can hand carry one in from the US for you when it goes on sale there soon. Otherwise there have been some great prices on the 830 (now 30% less expensive) and for most people it is still going to be plenty fast and reliable.

Amazon, unless they have changed their shipping policy won't ship Samsung SSDs outside the US, newegg are the same I believe.

Might be a case of only being able to order from your local distributor so in Thailand maybe a quick trip to Singapore will be the answer but even there I'm not sure they will be easy to find, at least in the short term as the 840 Pro is going to be a big seller in the US so most other places will have to wait a while for it to become available.

newegg are the same I believe.

Not a problem for me, I return to the U.S. often, at least every 60 days, I bring back a lot of Newegg-ordered gear each trip. wink.png Love the free shipping, and no sales tax!

Edited by lomatopo

You could check into ordering online (from NewEgg, Amazon, etc) to a ShipItto address and have them forward it to Thailand. (http://www.shipito.com/) I was considering it, but just made a trip to NYC last week -- made it out of NYC mere hours before the airports closed for Hurricane Sandy -- and bought one at the B&H main store in Manhattan.

FYI, the reviews of the 840/840-Pro don't show any outstanding performance advantage over the "old" Samsung 830, and you can get a 256GB Samsung 830 for US$170.

Edited by wpcoe

and you can get a 256GB Samsung 830 for US$170.

A lot of places are out of stock on the 830 as it is being replaced. Newegg did have it for $170 recently, maybe as a Shell Shocker but sold out.

B&H shows it in stock on their website for $209, not sure about sales tax in NYC, what is it now? Close to 9%?

I bought mine in the B&H store with the notebook conversion package for $189++, the $169 bare package was on back order.

I see now that mine (notebook conversion package) is $219, and the bare drive is now $209 -- quite an price increase!

Amazon still has the 256GB Samsung 830 for $199 with free U.S. shipping. It's the notebook kit with Norton Ghost. IMHO, that's a good price for a great drive.

I see they also have the 240GB Vertex 4 for $150 and the 240 GB Kingston HyperX 3K for $179. Both of those drives generally get good reviews, but I would still opt for the Samsung 830 which is tried and true, and rock solid, although I must say the Vertex 4 for $150 is a little tempting.