All Nightclubs To Now Shut By 2 Am In Chaweng

Yesterday I wondered why Green Mango, Solo and Sound is closed. I googled it and found your web site explaining what's going on. Well ... if closing the clubs for some days will help that they are "allowed" to open till late in the future. I don't think so.

I was in Chaweng late evening today. Looks like Solo, Green Mango and Sound will not open today.

But ... guess what ...

Now it is 7pm. Ark Bar already cranked up the sound volume to a level that whole Chaweng can hear it.

Everybody soon knows where the party is tonight, tomorrow, next week ;-)

After one week of closed Sound, Solo and Green Mango they will realize that nobody is missing them.

Customers are already taken over. What a big deal for the Ark bar in the low season. And it was for free !

I'm not in the bar or tourist business, but I hope some days my competitors will also close down for a week

and send me all their customers :-)

I cannot believe how the Ark Bar lets the owners of Sound, Solo, Green Mango and all the other bars loose their face.

Now everybody knows who has the word and who has the power in Chaweng.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chaweng is always dead on the night of the Full Moon Party lol.

Well Galaxy, Hush Bar and Flow will be open... That much I know smile.png

Scrap that... Hush is closed and I don't know now about Flow and Galaxy... My guess is they will probably also be closed. Hush will deffo be open business as usual tomorrow though.

not interested in Galaxy at all the prices in there are rediuclas i really dont know how they can compete with the thai market

same in pattaya there again they arfe still open so to them that is all that matters. must be some mugs wanting to pay high price for goods and services when next door are doing the same thing with different people for fraction of the price

how do those girls work there. do u need a work permit to be a pole dancer or am i pushing the boundaries by mentioning it. It has always baffled me even with pattaya about the strict working laws for forangs yet there are forang russians dancing round the poll and i doubt they are doing it for free.

maybe it is one of those questions dont ask because get no answer .....ineresting. does that mean i can drive a taxi???

All about politics and dollar folks. Central bought the land to build mall.- it backs onto green mango- dont take a genious to see what is happeningcoffee1.gif

forgot the Disney World over and beyond the lake

Edited by samui543

Last night all bars on Soi reggae closed.

All bars have been ordered to pay 2000 baht more in tea money per month.

The BiB has also asked my wife for 2000 baht now, never paid anything before.

I would imagine the the "fee" increase for solo bar has risen very high.

Absolute rubbish i have been drinking in soi reggae Tuesday and Wednesday, 50% of bars closed on Tuesday but all open last night, Most closed at 2am but reggae and the new South club remained open until 3am as per normal.

How about the people who have no idea where they are staying when they book their holiday, and wind up in a Hotel that they can't sleep in because of the noise?

And how about the people that live in the general vicinity of these clubs? Are they supposed to close up their homes and businesses and move away just so they can enjoy some piece and quiet?

It is about time that the authorities stopped this noise pollution once and for all, and I am not talking about just Samui, but all over Thailand. I don't have anything against all night partying or bars that stay open 24 hours, but make them build away from residential / Hotel areas and have to build somewhat soundproof buildings, if they want to play loud music all night.

Hmmm . . . whatever happened to the "zoning" laws that there was such a fuss about somewhere around 2004/5, I recall.? They are still law as far as I am aware There was a big row back then with all the Thai nightclub owners ranting as Nathon's sing-a-song- bar got a licence but some parts of Chaweng were refused an "entertainment" licence and bars were being asked to shut at 1:00 am. Likewise the bars outside of Chaweng in Bang Rak and Mae Nam were supposed to close at 1:00 also.

This is one of the cute things about Thailand - they churn out laws all the time, play at enforcing them for a while, and then stop bothering - until some government twit with time on his hands decides to have a national "spit only in the gutter" week.

Like other poster have pointed out - all the banner waving and posturing will immediately cease as soon as the first full BKK airways flights start coming in on the 20th December and the bars will mysteriously open again (or even sooner). Right now is the low low low season so who's suffering? All these venues are probably losing money right now anyway.

R

Post in Calithumpian & reply deleted. Please keep within the parameters of English.

Thank you.

How excitatious! Had to look this one up! Thank you Rooo. (But are you not being a bit hard on Big C?)

R

Calathumpian is used in a non-judgmental way to describe an outlook or philosophy when it is relatively original, held by a small group, personally assembled, or not institutionalized. In addition it is sometimes used as a non-specific example of a religious or political persuasion. For instance "just because a Caluthumpian believes 'x', does not make it right".

• Like 1

I was in Chaweng late evening today. Looks like Solo, Green Mango and Sound will not open today.

But ... guess what ...

Now it is 7pm. Ark Bar already cranked up the sound volume to a level that whole Chaweng can hear it.

Everybody soon knows where the party is tonight, tomorrow, next week ;-)

and, earlier, Rooo said:

I just fail to understand the initial post.

Is this ruling only applying to Chaweng ?

Does this ruling apply to all the island & the Chaweng entrepreneurs are the ones taking the fight to the government, only concerned about their area?

Does that mean that the National law now applicable to Samui?

Someone was here a week ago, I wonder if it has anything to do with it whistling.gif

The VIP someone and her folks were assembling at the Nor* Bur* - which is up the hill and almost completely facing that part of Chaweng beach where the Arc bar is located. I bet that that bass-line, coming and going on the breeze till all hours might just have filtered through into the governmental consciousness . . .

R

Edited by robsamui

Chaweng is always dead on the night of the Full Moon Party lol.

Well Galaxy, Hush Bar and Flow will be open... That much I know smile.png

Scrap that... Hush is closed and I don't know now about Flow and Galaxy... My guess is they will probably also be closed. Hush will deffo be open business as usual tomorrow though.

not interested in Galaxy at all the prices in there are rediuclas i really dont know how they can compete with the thai market

same in pattaya there again they arfe still open so to them that is all that matters. must be some mugs wanting to pay high price for goods and services when next door are doing the same thing with different people for fraction of the price

how do those girls work there. do u need a work permit to be a pole dancer or am i pushing the boundaries by mentioning it. It has always baffled me even with pattaya about the strict working laws for forangs yet there are forang russians dancing round the poll and i doubt they are doing it for free.

maybe it is one of those questions dont ask because get no answer .....ineresting. does that mean i can drive a taxi???

Not if you drive it the way you use a spell-checker . . .

penguin-002.gif

R

• Like 1

All about politics and dollar folks. Central bought the land to build mall.- it backs onto green mango- dont take a genious to see what is happeningcoffee1.gif

forgot the Disney World over and beyond the lake

If you are talking about the proposed Central department store, then that plot of land is already being cleared, near McDonald's, running through all the way from the Beach Road to the lake . . . nowhere near Soi green Mango.

they should create an organisation and ask for a change in law or a license to open till late, this would solve the problem and stop the police asking big bribes.

I doubt this is possible. The 2am law applies all over Thailand, not just Samui.

AFAIK there's no such thing as a license to open late, there's only paying off the cops.

New taxi law when they HAVE TO take customers with meters also applies to all Thailand... and see the result...

they should create an organisation and ask for a change in law or a license to open till late, this would solve the problem and stop the police asking big bribes.

I doubt this is possible. The 2am law applies all over Thailand, not just Samui.

AFAIK there's no such thing as a license to open late, there's only paying off the cops.

New taxi law when they HAVE TO take customers with meters also applies to all Thailand... and see the result...

Ah - good idea - the taxis won't use their meters so now the customers are taking their own meters? - excellent!

R

Entertainment Zoning for Samui.

Nice find, Rooo.

Did you accidentally put two maps the same . . . ? Is there another section showing Chaweng Beach Road? Where is Area No. 1?

I seem to recall that this was what all the protests were about some years ago. At the time some local big-wigs with families on the parish council had a couple of sing-a-song karaoke joints in that obscure reach of Chaweng that were in the backroads heading away from Chawerng Lake Road in the direction of the Ghost Road. Nowhere near the hot-spots of Soi Green Mango. This 'back area' was deemed Chawengs 'entertainment zone' and could stay open late. The rest had to shut at 1:00 am. In theory - unless this zoning law has been repealed - ALL the bars and clubs in or near Chaweng Beach Road by law still must close at 1:00 am.

(Although I also recall that, after a week or two of police bikes coming round every night at 1:00 am to enforce this, it just stopped happening.)

Was there ever a 'late zoning' applied to the Soi green Mango area - I don't think there was . . .

R

Edited by robsamui

Post in Calithumpian & reply deleted. Please keep within the parameters of English.

Thank you.

How excitatious! Had to look this one up! Thank you Rooo. (But are you not being a bit hard on Big C?)

R

Calathumpian is used in a non-judgmental way to describe an outlook or philosophy when it is relatively original, held by a small group, personally assembled, or not institutionalized. In addition it is sometimes used as a non-specific example of a religious or political persuasion. For instance "just because a Caluthumpian believes 'x', does not make it right".

Harsh on BigC!! Certainly not...don't be rediuclas! biggrin.png

Thank you.

R

Actually it wasn't a Big C post. It was an actual post in Calathumpian. or in better words a very foreign language.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Did you accidentally put two maps the same . . . ? Is there another section showing Chaweng Beach Road? Where is Area No. 1?

Fixed.

I don't know where area 1 is. I think the total paramter is area 1 , then the inner 2 special zone?

Thank you.

R

Actually it wasn't a Big C post. It was an actual post in Calathumpian. or in better words a very foreign language.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

And, pray, precisely what is it that Big C is renowned for? He has to be one of nature's original . . . err . . . Calathumpers . . . biggrin.png

(But he's fluffy so that's OK.)

R

Fixed.

I don't know where area 1 is. I think the total paramter is area 1 , then the inner 2 special zone?

Aha! Now I remember that this was the only area designated for Chaweng - hence the original (and ongoing) protests. The beach Road/Soi green Mango was never deemed to be an entertainment area.

This was Area 2 of Samui's entertainment zones. Area 1 was in Nathon and Area 3 in Lamai.

The same thing happened in Lamai. If you look at the permissions, it applied to only the area as you go out of Lamai on the ring-road, up the big hill - where about 6 or 7 years ago they'd built a huge bar complex up the hillside - now defunct, as not a soul ever went there. The entire main area of Lamai was (presumably still is) not included and (officially) had to close at 1:00 am.

But the biggest outrage came with Nathon. Back in the early 2000s all there was in Nathon was 3 sing-a-song- karaoke bars - owned by Thai businessmen, one of them being a top police chief - and with no farangs at all at night. Yet the town got the go-ahead for late-night opening, whereas Chaweng Beach Road and the Soi Green Mango/Soi Reggae didn't.

Not that I'm suggesting insider trading or that the big-wigs who owned the bars in question had family in the planning offices - perish the thought!

But it gives you an idea of why some bar-owners might have cause to be annoyed . . . quite aside from the present and currents protests.

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

Fixed.

Aha! Now I remember that this was the only area designated for Chaweng - hence the original (and ongoing) protests. The beach Road/Soi green Mango was never deemed to be an entertainment area.

This was Area 2 of Samui's entertainment zones. Area 1 was in Nathon and Area 3 in Lamai.

The same thing happened in Lamai. If you look at the permissions, it applied to only the area as you go out of Lamai on the ring-road, up the big hill - where about 6 or 7 years ago they'd built a huge bar complex up the hillside - now defunct, as not a soul ever went there. The entire main area of Lamai was (presumably still is) not included and (officially) had to close at 1:00 am.

But the biggest outrage came with Nathon. Back in the early 2000s all there was in Nathon was 3 sing-a-song- karaoke bars - owned by Thai businessmen, one of them being a top police chief - and with no farangs at all at night. Yet the town got the go-ahead for late-night opening, whereas Chaweng Beach Road and the Soi Green Mango/Soi Reggae didn't.

Not that I'm suggesting insider trading or that the big-wigs who owned the bars in question had family in the planning offices - perish the thought!

But it gives you an idea of why some bar-owners might have cause to be annoyed . . . quite aside from the present and currents protests.

R

as a ps - in other words, when Samui was zoned for the entertainment areas, the three zones chosen were where Thai owners had bars where only Thai people went. There was zero - no consideration or thought at all - zoning that included farang-owned bars where foreigners went.

R

Fixed.

we ran the lakeview bungalows when the entertainment zone was introduced i.e. a 24 hr zone the black moon venue and Q Bar were in the red zone along with many happy/unhappy family homes but soi reggae and soi green mango were not.

Nice find, Rooo.

I seem to recall that this was what all the protests were about some years ago. At the time some local big-wigs with families on the parish council had a couple of sing-a-song karaoke joints in that obscure reach of Chaweng that were in the backroads heading away from Chawerng Lake Road in the direction of the Ghost Road. Nowhere near the hot-spots of Soi Green Mango. This 'back area' was deemed Chawengs 'entertainment zone' and could stay open late. The rest had to shut at 1:00 am. In theory - unless this zoning law has been repealed - ALL the bars and clubs in or near Chaweng Beach Road by law still must close at 1:00 am.

(Although I also recall that, after a week or two of police bikes coming round every night at 1:00 am to enforce this, it just stopped happening.)

Was there ever a 'late zoning' applied to the Soi green Mango area - I don't think there was . . .

R

Do you remember thsi?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/6947-zoning-on-samui/

Nice find, Rooo.

R

You remember well smile.png this is your post from a few years ago:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/6947-zoning-on-samui/