Hammock Anchors

greeninasia

Are you going to drill into rock or any concrete joining rocks. If concrete the ability of the anchor to hold depends on the quality of the concrete (which is not always that flash in Thailand). Likewise, not appreciating the size of the rock, some rocks do split when drilled into.

If you are swinging in an hammock (even slightly when you get in and out) you will need an anchor that will take a dynamic or better still impact load and anchor should be rated to eight times plus the load it will carry.

The picture ain't that impressive for me and unless I knew what was securing it I would be loathe to put a child in one (who will inevitably bounce around). It would not take much for the hook to jump the eyelet (with my kids anyway).

Also as a tip I would "shackle" hammock to anchor rather than the nylon rope in the picture which easily slips off the hook. With a shackle (and a bit of galvanized chain you can also adjust length easily an no fear or fraying or wearing on the nylon over time.

I would not depend on any anchor (certainly not the eye bolt in the picture for a rock wall) provided by someone else unless I saw it before they rocked up to drill.

Given the concrete here (or for rock) I would buy a one piece expanding sleeve anchor, make sure its big enough, rated, and hot dip galvanized rather than get a cheap one supplied where the thread goes, or snaps, or rusts.

Next for me would be walk/ride around to the nearest new building site/house ask if they have an impact drill and masonry drill bit which most have and do a deal for anchors to be done.

Are you going to drill into rock or any concrete joining rocks. If concrete the ability of the anchor to hold depends on the quality of the concrete (which is not always that flash in Thailand). Likewise, not appreciating the size of the rock, some rocks do split when drilled into.

If you are swinging in an hammock (even slightly when you get in and out) you will need an anchor that will take a dynamic or better still impact load and anchor should be rated to eight times plus the load it will carry.

The picture ain't that impressive for me and unless I knew what was securing it I would be loathe to put a child in one (who will inevitably bounce around). It would not take much for the hook to jump the eyelet (with my kids anyway).

Also as a tip I would "shackle" hammock to anchor rather than the nylon rope in the picture which easily slips off the hook. With a shackle (and a bit of galvanized chain you can also adjust length easily an no fear or fraying or wearing on the nylon over time.

I would not depend on any anchor (certainly not the eye bolt in the picture for a rock wall) provided by someone else unless I saw it before they rocked up to drill.

Given the concrete here (or for rock) I would buy a one piece expanding sleeve anchor, make sure its big enough, rated, and hot dip galvanized rather than get a cheap one supplied where the thread goes, or snaps, or rusts.

I too would steer clear of the setup in the picture from the blog spot. As configured if any load is appied to the anchor, it would be a straight pull out load, which with the concrete quality here in LOS might have some less than desireable results. As 'mamborobert' says use an expansion anchor, NOT a compression anchor. In addition consider using a Bolt Hanger for rock climbing..... they will load a bolt so that most of the force becomes a shear force on the bolt, a fraction of the pull out force so even in crap concrete most of the force is on the shaft of the bolt and not applying a pull out force. Just attach a carabiner and you are good to go....

post-21996-0-11619800-1351444120_thumb.j

I too would steer clear of the setup in the picture from the blog spot. As configured if any load is appied to the anchor, it would be a straight pull out load, which with the concrete quality here in LOS might have some less than desireable results. As 'mamborobert' says use an expansion anchor, NOT a compression anchor. In addition consider using a Bolt Hanger for rock climbing..... they will load a bolt so that most of the force becomes a shear force on the bolt, a fraction of the pull out force so even in crap concrete most of the force is on the shaft of the bolt and not applying a pull out force. Just attach a carabiner and you are good to go....

DBob,

Do you know where to get a "Bolt Hanger for rock climbing" in CM? Thanks.

DBob,

Do you know where to get a "Bolt Hanger for rock climbing" in CM? Thanks.

Why not try Chiangmai Rock Climbing Adventures...... http://www.thailandclimbing.com/ smile.png