Motorcyclists In Chiang Mai

muchogra

"One thing I have noticed riding here is that the bikers are generally much better drivers."

Come on man.you cant be serious. Car and motorsai drivers drive both worse as we are talking about Thai.

And many falang motorcycle drivers take more risks because they are speeding or/and wearing no helmet.

No I am quite serious " In my experience & opinion" I am speaking of Thai folks here.

The bike riders are more intuitive & better drivers than their four wheel Thai counterparts.

Not surprisingly as many are on bikes soon after birth.

Cars on the other hand many have had no real experience with yet they are allowed to buy & drive.

In fact some of the very worst car/truck drivers I have seen have red plates.

Same goes for Thai bike passengers. Due to experience they know how to sit

without upsetting balance. They lean with the bike not against it.

A motorsai driver here never looks over the shoulder.

They drive even 80 km with little children a board or pack it with 3-4-5 people.

So many use their mobile.

They drive against the traffic direction.

When turning left (or when busy traffic going straight) at the traffic light they set themselves on the wrong side and forget to speed up.

And not to forget the drunk drivers.

What is my point, no matter how good you (think you) control your vehicle when you are not alert every moment, you bring yourself and others in danger,

and many people her are not alert.

I drove heavy motorcycles a long part of my live, and know how dangerous it can be. The greatest danger is to think you control your vehicle totaly.

The 2 wheels makes you always vulnerable, so you have to be a better driver in the first place.

New car drivers are mostly motorcyclist too, they don't control the vehicle but are less physically vulnerable.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a mercedes s 500 allocated to me and i used it twice in 2 years:) and now all the cars in company car pool ranging from trucks to vios to nissan but i very very rarely use one of them. Mostly for company trips as it is mandatory by the company for me to use a car as a managing director.

I hate cars. That plasticy smell that cage feeling. I feel same as the tigers in a zoo. A caged animal:) besides i get sleepy with auto tranny. So boring man.

On top of these traffic. I better kill myself than be in a car during rush hour traffic in Bangkok or elsewhere. What a waste of time. Look for parking wait for parking at the malls etc. No flexibilty you cannot stop where you want.

What a burden and weight a car is especially in Asia.

Moreover, tax, maintanence waiting days for service and cars are expensive to buy and ride. More pollution too starting from manufacturing process to driving.

Besides it is never dangerous to ride a bike in Thailand. Or it is dangerous to drive anywhere in this world. Drivers here knows how to handle a biker better than our western countries.

So op you better say: 'i dont have guts to drive a bike so i bought a car'biggrin.png

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Take care on the roads out there. "Pride comes before a fall" whistling.gif

So riding a bike is a pride for you?

So i confess i m still full of pride man before and after the fall:) haha

But what about you? What are you full of?:)

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Thaivisa Connect App

What is my point,

Sorry Joop I think we are speaking of completely different things.

You took my quote in a previous post...

"One thing I have noticed riding here is that the bikers are generally much better drivers."

And have misunderstood what I was saying.

To put it simply, Thai bike riders pose less of a risk to me when riding a bike than Thai

car/truck drivers. Due to their being more aware & holding their line better than the car/truck drivers.

Hence my saying they were generally better divers.

That is all wink.png

Edited by mania

I had a mercedes s 500 allocated to me and i used it twice in 2 years:) and now all the cars in company car pool ranging from trucks to vios to nissan but i very very rarely use one of them. Mostly for company trips as it is mandatory by the company for me to use a car as a managing director.

I hate cars. That plasticy smell that cage feeling. I feel same as the tigers in a zoo. A caged animal:) besides i get sleepy with auto tranny. So boring man.

On top of these traffic. I better kill myself than be in a car during rush hour traffic in Bangkok or elsewhere. What a waste of time. Look for parking wait for parking at the malls etc. No flexibilty you cannot stop where you want.

Moreover, tax, maintanence waiting days for service and cars are expensive to buy and ride. More pollution too starting from manufacturing process to driving.

Besides it is never dangerous to ride a bike in Thailand. Or it is dangerous to drive anywhere in this world. Drivers here knows how to handle a biker better than our western countries.

So op you better say: 'i dont have guts to drive a bike so i bought a car'biggrin.png

But what about you? What are you full of?smile.png

I'm not "full of" anything, but your post is full of cr@p. Good luck, you're going to need it.....

No sense getting riled up on this issue.

The car people will always be convinced of their safety and relative status. And aircon is a blessing in this climate.

The bikers will always be happy with their freedom loving lifestyle. The ability to split lanes and actually get where you are going in a reasonable time is a boon in CM.

Really the best of both worlds is to have both a motorcycle and a car, and use them appropriately.

The only losers in this town IMHO are the poor folks seated hunched over in the back of a songthiew, sucking diesel fumes while baking in a hot metal box, stuck interminably in a traffic jam....goof.gif

• Like 1

What is my point,

Sorry Joop I think we are speaking of completely different things.

You took my quote in a previous post...

And have misunderstood what I was saying.

To put it simply, Thai bike riders pose less of a risk to me when riding a bike than Thai

car/truck drivers. Due to their being more aware & holding their line better than the car/truck drivers.

Hence my saying they were generally better divers.

That is all wink.png

I see what you mean.

My view is from a big car these days and obvious different from yours.

When I drive and i see people (in fact vehicles) do, in my eyes, stupid actions, there is the first reaction of "idiot' and so on but almost at the same time I imagine what a nice,kind, loving, beloved person it most likely concerns.

Thereby I still have to realize myself the traffic in this country goes different than I am used.

You are missing a lot by not riding a bike into the countryside, some stunning scenery and would be hard work/impossible in a truck.

Only at the weekend I went with a group of guys to Nan, taking all the back lanes (as much as possible) over the mountains, a circular route with empty fantastic and scenic roads!

800km in 2 days.....happy days! In a truck, would have been just plain boring!

In towns, just learn to adapt, I have ridden a bike here almost daily around town for the past 5 years, only ever had one near (slow) miss.....just be observant and as others say, be slightly agressive in riding and presume everyone around you is an idiot....can't go wrong!

I also drive my car around town, when I absolutely have to.....but nothing beats the fresh air and sense of freedom on a bike in the mountains and if there is an element of 'danger' riding a bike, that just adds to the trip! I LIKE the fact you have to concentrate more when riding a bike. Also, you SEE a lot more than in a car.

Edited by kjhbigv
  • Like 1

I do agree, only because in other countries eg. UK, hardly anyone rides a bike, so difficult to compare....most bikes in the UK are large CC bikes and even they are relatively few and far between in comparison to cars. But yes, I would agree, Thai's are more proficient in my eyes on a bike than in a car. You want to see my GF on her bike and compare that to her driving a car! blink.png

By the way, it's bike 'riders' not 'drivers'! wink.png

Edited by kjhbigv

I've had and ridden a motorcycle in and around Chiangmai for over five years now as my regular and sole means of personal transportation. I have never found it difficult or particularly dangerous. That said, I came to it with decades of experience in other countries, including several years of very high speed track racing. Anyone who finds it dangerous or scary should stay away from it, I agree.

Come on man.you cant be serious. Car and motorsai drivers drive both worse as we are talking about Thai.

And many falang motorcycle drivers take more risks because they are speeding or/and wearing no helmet.

I completely agree with Joop. Some of the worst offenders in driving here are farangs, both on motorbikes (speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, no helmets, no licenses, no license plates etc.) and in cars. I also believe that the drivers in general here are WORSE than they are in Bangkok (hard to believe, I know, but true).

Also, many farangs here believe that because they have a license back in Iowa (or wherever) they can legally drive here. Not true! You MUST HAVE either a legit Thai driver's license or a legit international driver's license. If you don't have one, and you are involved in an accident, your "insurance" will not cover you.

Edited by TheVicar

Off Topic but,

A few folks have mentioned no license plates now in this thread.

It should be noted that license plates are on hold for more than half a year now.(actually I hear some have waited a year already)

seems some sort of disagreement between the manufacturer & what ever branch of govt

sets/awards the contract.

it was initially claimed it was a problem with the white paint used on the background color of the plates.

But obviously it is something much bigger. Some have mentioned the factory was damaged during the BK floods too?

so all these newer bikes you see with no plates are not illegal they just have not gotten a plate yet.

Registration & taxes have been paid & even license plate number is issued on the reg.

Just no plate smile.png

Edited by mania

But what about you? What are you full of?smile.png

I'm not "full of" anything, but your post is full of cr@p. Good luck, you're going to need it.....

Yeah yeah. Nothing to say better than this. Poor really.

Thanks for your wishes man anyway.

But if you say crap for every idea you do not like, you need luck more than me:lol:

I reckon there are many veteran riders here. That certainly helps in a town where both the motorists and the motorcyclists are, in general, comparatively lousier than those in Bangkok. It's not that they drive/ride fast here but sometimes too slow for certain traffic conditions. Most don't seem to watch their mirrors while driving or riding particularly the riders. At almost every traffic light intersections, there are people running the red light for a couple of seconds. A few posters have given good advice: wait and watch for a few seconds after the light turns green and don't assume some cars would try to stop when their light starts to turn red.

I agree that a motorcycle is more conveniently for driving around town, but like some 've said, the fumes and other loudsy drivers and riders might cost you. I absolutely agree with some posters that an excellent way to enjoy the scenery through winding roads on the countryside is via a motorbike, particularly riding with a bunch of friends and, bettter yet, with your honeybun riding pinion. Unfortunately, I won't do it now because of the recently developed sciatica. Well, perhaps later when it's corrected!

Only at the weekend I went with a group of guys to Nan, taking all the back lanes (as much as possible) over the mountains, a circular route with empty fantastic and scenic roads!

800km in 2 days.....happy days! In a truck, would have been just plain boring!

How much did you actually see in those 2 "happy days"? My truck have front and side windows, were you watching the sky? unsure.png

Unfortunately, I won't do it now because of the recently developed sciatica. Well, perhaps later when it's corrected!

Off topic but, If you would like to try Acupuncture, if you have not already?

I would highly recommend Mungkala in Chiangmai

They helped with my Sciatic

mania, thanks for bringing up Mungkala and acupuncture. I did say I had acupuncture in the States and it helped a lot. I had one needle on my left butt, one at my lleft ower back, two (or one?) on my left back leg, and two on my right back hand. Then electrodes were connected to the needles on my butt and lower back. The session(s) helped me completely for a few weeks.

May I ask your experience here with acupuncture and how often do you have to have it and how much do they charge? Thanks in advance.

I will enjoy life more at CM if I get a bike for touring the countryside.

mania, thanks for bringing up Mungkala and acupuncture. I did say I had acupuncture in the States and it helped a lot. I had one needle on my left butt, one at my lleft ower back, two (or one?) on my left back leg, and two on my right back hand. Then electrodes were connected to the needles on my butt and lower back. The session(s) helped me completely for a few weeks.

May I ask your experience here with acupuncture and how often do you have to have it and how much do they charge? Thanks in advance.

I will enjoy life more at CM if I get a bike for touring the countryside.

Hi muchogra,

The specifics for mungkala were as follows

700 baht 1st time which includes the consult

500 baht each time there after

In our case (yours & mine ) of course we dont need a consult

as we know what we have

but I did not complain as the price is so much cheaper than

back in the States.

treatments run an 45min-hour roughly & are very similar to what you have had.

In my case at Mungkala a few needles in hip area then progressing down the leg to ankle.

Electrodes attached & adjusted to what your comfortable with.

Then also a heat lamp is placed over that area.

After roughly 20 minutes or so the heat lamp is repositioned.

I went every 5 days & after the 8th time I was all done. No more pain

Actually the pain really started subsiding after the first treatment.

Each time after it just got better & better with each treatment.

He fine tuned it as we went along as each time he asked how I was doing.

I would then let him know if I was having a more localized area that still was flaring.

I know what your going through & it is no fun.

In the States I had tried Acupuncture & Chiro & both helped a little but not much.

Could be luck that Mungkala cured it or that I was already 7 weeks into it.

From past experiences I know for me a Sciatic bout lasts about 8 weeks.

But this was the worse event I ever had & as I said with each visit it just got

better & better so I feel Mungkala had helped if not cured it.

All who work there are very nice & they never pushed me for follow up

treatments after any visit. I always had to tell the girl up front I wanted another

one scheduled. Also during the consult the Dr did say he thought it would take 7-8 times.

At first I was skeptical & wondered if they were trying to sell a package but no they only bill per visit

& sure enough it did work out exactly at that. (7-8 visits )

Good Luck & hope your pain free soon.

Edited by mania

Be sure you know how to countersteer a bike.

I was first taught this rule in the 70's when racing.

Having grown up racing I was already a proficient rider but,,, naturally.

I had never hear this explained till the mid 1970's by a great teacher name Keith Code

It is not in fact something you learn to do because anyone who rides a two wheel vehicle does it already.

They just don't KNOW they are doing it.

Understanding it by hearing it explained can save your life though. Because in a split second decision your brain

will KNOW it & not be over ridden by fear & the reflex to turn left for instance to go left.

To sum it up simply it is this.

On a two wheel vehicle you push the bar forward for the direction you want to turn to.

Not pull as your mind would think.

Meaning to go right you push the right bar away from you.

Your mind would think immediately no that cannot be because if I push the right bar forward I am turning left.

But on a two wheel vehicle that is what initiates the right turn.

It is basically causing the bike to fall into a right turn.

Anyway smile.png

The best advice I can give is go out tomorrow to a nice parking lot or empty area & try it. See & prove it to your mind.

Go 5-10 miles an hour & gently push the right handlebar forward. You will have initiated a right turn.

Now push the left bar forward & you will initiate a left turn.

After all bikes are not steered by turning left or right at all. Except for when going very very very slowly.

You turn a bike by initiated a turn via counter steering then you lean the bike to complete/continue the turn

while the wheel is actually pointing straight ahead.

Most folks already know how to ride & do it instinctively, They have to as it is the only way to

turn a bike going above 1 mile an hour.

But KNOWING this in your mind can save you in an emergency reflex situation.

I think most bikers use their body and shifting of the weight to begin a turn; not turning the bars which is done only by beginners.

Off Topic but,

It should be noted that license plates are on hold for more than half a year now.(actually I hear some have waited a year already)

seems some sort of disagreement between the manufacturer & what ever branch of govt

it was initially claimed it was a problem with the white paint used on the background color of the plates.

But obviously it is something much bigger. Some have mentioned the factory was damaged during the BK floods too?

so all these newer bikes you see with no plates are not illegal they just have not gotten a plate yet.

Registration & taxes have been paid & even license plate number is issued on the reg.

Just no plate smile.png

I'm sorry but I don't buy your argument. I know lots of people who have new vehicles who have gotten their plates. And red plates should be issued with new vehicles automatically on purchase. Yet, I see lots of vehicles here without them; this is not so much the case in Bangkok by the way. It appears to be greater in CM.

Edited by TheVicar

Wow! "I better kill myself" sounds like you're trying hard to do so. Problem is, you'll likely take down some innocent people too. You should let us know what company you are "managing director" of so we can avoid it. Thinking like this is antisocial and dangerous. Only an absolute moron would write: "it is never dangerous to ride a bike in Thailand." Every time I ride a bike, even for 10-15 minutes, I see illegal and dangerous actions by other bikes, by cars and trucks, by pedestrians etc. Maybe you're living in a different universe?

Edited by TheVicar
  • Like 1

Off Topic but,

Just no plate smile.png

I'm sorry but I don't buy your argument. I know lots of people who have new vehicles who have gotten their plates. And red plates should be issued with new vehicles automatically on purchase. Yet, I see lots of vehicles here without them; this is not so much the case in Bangkok by the way. It appears to be greater in CM.

Bangkok may be the exception...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/595420-issuance-of-new-bike-plates/

I had never hear this explained till the mid 1970's by a great teacher name Keith Code

It is not in fact something you learn to do because anyone who rides a two wheel vehicle does it already.

Understanding it by hearing it explained can save your life though. Because in a split second decision your brain

will KNOW it & not be over ridden by fear & the reflex to turn left for instance to go left.

On a two wheel vehicle you push the bar forward for the direction you want to turn to.

Your mind would think immediately no that cannot be because if I push the right bar forward I am turning left.

Anyway smile.png

The best advice I can give is go out tomorrow to a nice parking lot or empty area & try it. See & prove it to your mind.

Go 5-10 miles an hour & gently push the right handlebar forward. You will have initiated a right turn.

After all bikes are not steered by turning left or right at all. Except for when going very very very slowly.

You turn a bike by initiated a turn via counter steering then you lean the bike to complete/continue the turn

Most folks already know how to ride & do it instinctively, They have to as it is the only way to

I think most bikers use their body and shifting of the weight to begin a turn; not turning the bars which is done only by beginners.

Idiot. Only ignorant riders don't know countersteering. Going right? Lean right, push handlebar with right hand, or pull with left. You don't know that??? Whose the "beginner?"

Anyway smile.png

Absolutely correct. Hardest thing is to teach a closed mind, however. In Thailand or anywhere. I've also noticed that most Thai motosi drivers are very fine operators.

• Like 1

When I first started riding a HD in Thailand, a 25 year veteran gave me this advise ...

Think of Thai traffic as a flow of water. It will quickly fill any empty space.

And from my own experience earned riding on the road since 1968 - act like every other driver, both other bikes and cars and trucks, is out to kill you.

I'm driving a Honda. Does the same rules apply? unsure.png

Agree with most of the other punters, I will always use the bike instead of the car except for special trips. If riding a bike you cannot drift off, you beed to stay focussed all the time, be suspicious of every vehicle as they often will do stupid things. Because a trafic light changes to green also doesn't mean you can go, check the red light runners before moving off. Remember that many Thais on bikes and cars don't use their indicators, they allso park and ride up the road the wrong way. The death toll for bikes is high as many simply ride dangerously and get themselves killed, the rest are cleaned up by the lunatics in cars, Fortunas, minivans, buses and trucks (the last 4 being the most aggressive).

As to the OP if he feels uncomfortable on a bike then nest not to ride one, the Mazda will get caught in traffic a bit but will be a safe and comfortable ride.

It's not only the Thais who seem to drive badly in CM; it's also the farangs. I drive a car, motorbike, and ride a bicycle and I have seen any number of lunatic motorbike drivers who are farangs: usually without helmets, sometimes without license plates, speeding and weaving through traffic lanes. There seems to be almost no enforcement (police) on the road to nab these kind of people and until there is, this will continue.

57 year old "Lunatic" here: personally, I enjoy the "almost no enforcement (police) on the road", I enjoy the fact when caught without my helmet (like I used to do in California for 20 years before the Police State Republican gov made us wear them because of nannystaters like you whining) by a BIB needing beer money, I pay 200 baht, wish him a good day, hop back on by DS1000 Multistrada and zoom around your slow behind. I call that FREEDOM. Try it in California, and a cop will treat you like they just caught a mass murderer. I guess you are one of" those kind of people" that wish that police state mentality in Thailand. Please leave.

Only someone that never rode a motorcycle anywhere else would think that motorcycles are somehow "dangerous" in Thailand, and not everywhere else in the world. I've ridden north to south, east to west, and staying alert, not drinking alcohol, keeps me upright and smiling, in Thailand like everywhere else.

Thailand motorcycle riders are among the best in the world, from my observations.

Yeah wait till they start with the speed cameras like we have in the UK - can't go 100 yards without getting your picture taken and a nice little demand for a tea money contribution in the post. Give me the freedom here and I'll take my chances.

PS I do wear my helmet though cos' that's common sense not because some nanny state official demands it.

Edited by sysardman

Agree with most of the other punters, I will always use the bike instead of the car except for special trips. If riding a bike you cannot drift off, you beed to stay focussed all the time, be suspicious of every vehicle as they often will do stupid things. Because a trafic light changes to green also doesn't mean you can go, check the red light runners before moving off. Remember that many Thais on bikes and cars don't use their indicators, they allso park and ride up the road the wrong way. The death toll for bikes is high as many simply ride dangerously and get themselves killed, the rest are cleaned up by the lunatics in cars, Fortunas, minivans, buses and trucks (the last 4 being the most aggressive).

As to the OP if he feels uncomfortable on a bike then nest not to ride one, the Mazda will get caught in traffic a bit but will be a safe and comfortable ride.

It's not only the Thais who seem to drive badly in CM; it's also the farangs. I drive a car, motorbike, and ride a bicycle and I have seen any number of lunatic motorbike drivers who are farangs: usually without helmets, sometimes without license plates, speeding and weaving through traffic lanes. There seems to be almost no enforcement (police) on the road to nab these kind of people and until there is, this will continue.

57 year old "Lunatic" here: personally, I enjoy the "almost no enforcement (police) on the road", I enjoy the fact when caught without my helmet (like I used to do in California for 20 years before the Police State Republican gov made us wear them because of nannystaters like you whining) by a BIB needing beer money, I pay 200 baht, wish him a good day, hop back on by DS1000 Multistrada and zoom around your slow behind. I call that FREEDOM. Try it in California, and a cop will treat you like they just caught a mass murderer. I guess you are one of" those kind of people" that wish that police state mentality in Thailand. Please leave.

Only someone that never rode a motorcycle anywhere else would think that motorcycles are somehow "dangerous" in Thailand, and not everywhere else in the world. I've ridden north to south, east to west, and staying alert, not drinking alcohol, keeps me upright and smiling, in Thailand like everywhere else.

Thailand motorcycle riders are among the best in the world, from my observations.

I think I would consider wearing a helmet if I were you. You sound like an accident looking for a place to happen. sad.png