Accepting The Farang Status, And The Implications

ayayay

You wrote in the OP, “I am not expecting Thai people to learn this anytime soon, and I often don´t bother to tell them, but at least, I do not call myself farang. It is just plain ignorant.”

The above statement is one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard. My gosh man look at who agrees with you. If that's not enough there are almost countless posts over the years; not only in this thread to inform you of the errors of your thoughts.

Steele Joe has it right when he writes, "It's all very logical and well stated. But it's all based on a faulty premise."

Yes, it is very ignorant to refer to yourself as farang. What are the errors of my thoughts?

That constantly being referred to the "other" or "not the same" will not distant you from thai society? Will not make it easier to get scammed, ripped off, or even killed? Will not make it more difficult to create deep bonds with your extended thai family?

It not often I agree with CMK, but I do on this.

"Will not make it more difficult to create deep bonds with your extended thai family?"

A, I dont have an extended Thai family, I have my wife and the MIL, end of.

B. Why would I want "to create deep bonds"?

C. Why should I need an extended family?

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is possible to insert a poll/vote whatever as part of a thread or can it only be the initiating post?

Sounds a bit like knitting. Or Vlad the Impaler.

Is it a poll or is it a post? Only JT could answer for sure. There's bound to be a spike in interest now, though...

It is possible to insert a poll/vote whatever as part of a thread or can it only be the initiating post?

Sounds a bit like knitting. Or Vlad the Impaler.

Is it a poll or is it a post? Only JT could answer for sure. There's bound to be a spike in interest now, though...

http://www.thaivisa....ang-bother-you/

Does Being Called Farang Bother You?

Started by MonkeyMagic3 , 2012-09-07 13:00

167 no

54 yes

Edited by chiangmaikelly

No reason for a poll, most people do not see the potential problems that comes with being referred to as farang, that is why I wanted to write this post. To make people aware of it.

How about

"White people calling themselves farang encourages Thais to see us as objects and treat us badly"

Agree or disagree?

Just writing it I had to laugh, patently ridiculous. But I'd like those promulgating such crap to see for themselves what the rest of us think of their <deleted>.

No reason for a poll, most people do not see the potential problems that comes with being referred to as farang, that is why I wanted to write this post. To make people aware of it.

On the other hand you could simply be wrong about that.

Why don't you discuss it with a couple of intelligent Thais (now now boys) and see what they have to say?

You wrote in the OP, “I am not expecting Thai people to learn this anytime soon, and I often don´t bother to tell them, but at least, I do not call myself farang. It is just plain ignorant.”

The above statement is one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard. My gosh man look at who agrees with you. If that's not enough there are almost countless posts over the years; not only in this thread to inform you of the errors of your thoughts.

Steele Joe has it right when he writes, "It's all very logical and well stated. But it's all based on a faulty premise."

Yes, it is very ignorant to refer to yourself as farang. What are the errors of my thoughts?

That constantly being referred to the "other" or "not the same" will not distant you from thai society? Will not make it easier to get scammed, ripped off, or even killed? Will not make it more difficult to create deep bonds with your extended thai family?

The wife is at the hardware story. I just got the call. I asked her to pick up a window lock for a sliding glass door. I bought one there yesterday and liked it and wanted another. She is on the phone as the lady has 6 different locks. I told her to tell the lady the same one she sold the Farang yesterday.

Well, I think it's highlighting the quality of your relationship; she didn't go into the shop and say "I want another lock the same as the farang (or my farang) bought yesterday, she said "my husband wants another lock the same"

"What does he look like?"

"Auld fella, Panama hat"

"Don't remember him"

"Spoke with an American accent. Always showing off how clever he is"

"No, doesn't ring a bell. Does he have any distinguishing features? Scars, moles, embarrassing speech impediments?"

"No... hang on a minute, I'll call him...' moments pass as she phones home ...she follows your advice ... "Oh! He's a farang"

"Aha!" says the shopkeeper "Now I remember. You mean Kelly!"

SC

• Like 1

I think the born again Thais,should ask themselves "Would you allow a Thai to call you a Farang in your own Country" ? Which I have heard many times in the UK.

I really don't get it, sure why not, I call them Thais or Asians here or there, doesn't matter if we're on Mars.

• Like 1

I think the born again Thais,should ask themselves "Would you allow a Thai to call you a Farang in your own Country" ? Which I have heard many times in the UK.

I really don't get it, sure why not, I call them Thais or Asians here or there, doesn't matter if we're on Mars.

You missed the point,in your own Country,whether it's England or America, or Australia, you are entitled to be called English,Australian, or American.

Thais or Asians is perfectly acceptable,that is their Ethnicity!

Well, I'll not agree that I'm anything that could be described as "born again Thai" (I know who would accuse me of that though: the same sort of people in the colonial era who'd accuse Europeans who learned the language, adapted to the culture -- generally only taking on the parts they liked and dealing as best they could with those they didn't -- of having "gone native". ) Do I think of myself as Thai or in any way try to pretend that I am? Absolutely not. Indeed I make a conscious choice to exploit the advantage I have in being a Farang and thus not expected by Thais to conform in every single way. Moreover there are aspects of Thai culture which I simply won't accept as proper for me. (I"m no cultural relativist -- I loathe them -- and while I would not presume to impose my own values on people in a country not my own, I will continue to live by them to the degree possible. Some of them are inviolable and people around me just have to tolerate it. Fortunately Thais are largely tolerant people -- until they aren't; as long as you aren't gratuitously aggressive and have some sort of sense about how to go about things you'll almost always be OK).

But I'll answer the question:

It remains as ever: dependent on the context

In the US, I would not be a foreigner so there's less reason to call me a Farang and given that I'd ot be a minority it wouldn't work very well as a means with which to distinguish me from another person would it? However, (for example) if a Thai who didn't know my name was speaking to another Thai (in the Thai language) or a Thai was speaking to another Thai (in the Thai language) who didn't know my name and that Thai was trying to pick me out from a group of Asians and I overheard him referring to me as Farang -- no problem.

One of countless scenarios inthe US where it would't bother me at all if I overheard:

Thai 1: That guy' in the blue shirt is my neighbor. His names SteeleJoe (Indicates in my direction as I stand amid a group of Asians)

Thai 2: Which one, the fat guy?

Thai 1: No, the Farang.

Thai 2: Oh, him. He looks incredibly intelligent and charismatic. And so handsome. Introduce me please.

ario.

A scenario that wouldn't be OK:

Thai 1: That guy in the blue shirt is my neighbor.

Thai 2: What's his name?

Thai 1: Who cares? I just call him "Farang".

Thai 2: Well he looks incredibly intelligent and charismatic. And so handsome. But I think he's coming over to punch you in the head.

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

The wife is at the hardware story. I just got the call. I asked her to pick up a window lock for a sliding glass door. I bought one there yesterday and liked it and wanted another. She is on the phone as the lady has 6 different locks. I told her to tell the lady the same one she sold the Farang yesterday.

Well, I think it's highlighting the quality of your relationship; she didn't go into the shop and say "I want another lock the same as the farang (or my farang) bought yesterday, she said "my husband wants another lock the same"

"What does he look like?"

"Auld fella, Panama hat"

"Don't remember him"

"Spoke with an American accent. Always showing off how clever he is"

"No, doesn't ring a bell. Does he have any distinguishing features? Scars, moles, embarrassing speech impediments?"

"No... hang on a minute, I'll call him...' moments pass as she phones home ...she follows your advice ... "Oh! He's a farang"

"Aha!" says the shopkeeper "Now I remember. You mean Kelly!"

SC

Actually the most interesting part is that I bought it myself with no visual props or the old one (I forgot to take it with me) in a Thai hardware store where no one spoke English.

post-73727-0-37996300-1351858981_thumb.j

• Like 1

You missed the point,in your own Country,whether it's England or America, or Australia, you are entitled to be called English,Australian, or American.

Well, Asian is an ethnicity, Thai is a nationality.

I am a farang who happens to be an American. The mother of my children is ethnically Khmer, most of my customers are ethnically Chinese but all very much Thai.

And using these terms in reference to or in conversation with any of these people has never been considered in any way offensive except I guess for some weird whackos here on TV.

If you are saying that when speaking English in my home country a Thai should use "white man" instead of farang then that's fine, but if he's talking in Thai he should only use farang, and AFAIC if he's talking to me and he knows I speak Thai it's more appropriate for him to use farang.

I honestly don't understand how or why anyone could object to that?

Well, Asian is an ethnicity, Thai is a nationality.

I am a farang who happens to be an American. The mother of my children is ethnically Khmer, most of my customers are ethnically Chinese but all very much Thai.

And using these terms in reference to or in conversation with any of these people has never been considered in any way offensive except I guess for some weird whackos here on TV.

If you are saying that when speaking English in my home country a Thai should use "white man" instead of farang then that's fine, but if he's talking in Thai he should only use farang, and AFAIC if he's talking to me and he knows I speak Thai it's more appropriate for him to use farang.

I honestly don't understand how or why anyone could object to that?

Well at least you agree it's inapropiate to be called Farang in your own Country,unless the speakers are speaking Thai.And other than that if speaking English should call us "white man" It's hard work but an improvement.

ALL of the first gen Thais back home in California still refer to the caucasians around them as farang. And point out others based on their visual ethnicity. Never gonna change. And don't like to admit...but when in TL, you will always be a farang and not local. Simply put, the Thai paridym is not a blend of multi-ethnicity. Thai si Thai.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect App

ALL of the first gen Thais back home in California still refer to the caucasians around them as farang. And point out others based on their visual ethnicity. Never gonna change. And don't like to admit...but when in TL, you will always be a farang and not local. Simply put, the Thai paridym is not a blend of multi-ethnicity. Thai si Thai.

At Sattahip Naval base they only let Thais in. I was driving with a car full of people from 6 different countries outside of Thailand and the Thai guards let everyone in except one guy from Cuba. They can't tell the difference. Lao, Khmer, Filipino, Korean, Japanese and Chinese. They all look the same to the guards at Sattahip.

At Sattahip Naval base they only let Thais in. I was driving with a car full of people from 6 different countries outside of Thailand and the Thai guards let everyone in except one guy from Cuba. They can't tell the difference. Lao, Khmer, Filipino, Korean, Japanese and Chinese. They all look the same to the guards at Sattahip.

Think it says something about their guards.

Some people are apparently overly sensitive. The people who know my name call me by my name. The people who don't know my name call me the farang. I don't care and it doesn't bother me one way or another. The people who I care about call me by my name.

• Like 1

Ya, it says they get paid to tell the difference and can't. The only people who can are posters on Thai Visa and only in their dreams.

Ya, it says they get paid to tell the difference and can't. The only people who can are posters on Thai Visa and only in their dreams.

Can't tell the difference? Guess you don't get out much. As for the guards, its called an id check.

So for example, if you had a thai wife, and you were going to dinner with your family and your wife, and you were talking to a friend, you would say "I am going to dinner with my family and my wife, she is dark skinned"?

That is exactly what a thai would do, if you went with your thai wife and her family, and a family member would talk to another friend. She would say, "we are going to dinner, with the family and Lek and her husband, he is farang".

So for example, if you had a thai wife, and you were going to dinner with your family and your wife, and you were talking to a friend, you would say "I am going to dinner with my family and my wife, she is dark skinned"?

That is exactly what a thai would do, if you went with your thai wife and her family, and a family member would talk to another friend. She would say, "we are going to dinner, with the family and Lek and her husband, he is farang".

Well, that settles it. Despite all the evidence I wasn't entirely convinced up to now but it has become clear with the last post: with all due respect you are far too presumptuous, chauvinistic and misguided to take seriously on this topic despite many elements of truth and sense in what you say.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Edited by SteeleJoe

Well, that settles it. Despite all the evidence I wasn't entirely convinced up to now but it has become clear with the last post: with all due respect you are far too presumptuous, chauvinistic and misguided to take seriously on this topic despite many elements of truth and sense in what you say.

What is presumptiuos, chauvinistic and misguided?

To which the Thai reply would be " Can i come for a free meal too?"cheesy.gif