Airports Of Thailand To Push Ahead With Suvarnabhumi Expansion

webfact

AIRPORT

AOT to push ahead with Suvarnabhumi expansion

NONGNAPAT MAIPANIT

THE NATION

30193259-01_big.jpg

Traffic congestion at Suvarnabhumi Airport

BANGKOK: -- Airports of Thailand will go ahead with Phases 3 and 4 of Suvarnabhumi Airport's development to boost its annual capacity to 90 million passengers.

Its annual capacity is now 45 million.

AOT acting president Somchai Sawasdeepon said yesterday that the agency was moving at full steam on the Bt62-billion second phase and construction was expected to be complete by December 2016, boosting capacity to 60 million passengers.

It then plans to expand capacity by another 30 million passenger with Phases 3 and 4. The cost of the third phase is expected to be same as the second's.

Phase 3 will take place from 2016 until 2021, when the airport will be able to serve 75 million visitors. The construction will include the expansion of the passenger building on the west side, the construction of tunnels, a passenger-transport system, and a fourth runway.

Phase 4 will see the construction of a passenger building and a parking bay on the south area and boost capacity to serve total 90 million people through 2032.

In a related matter, AOT chairman Sumet Photimanee said the board would soon convene to set up a committee to select a new president to replace Flying Officer Anirut Thanomkulbutra, whose employment contract was terminated.

The termination, which was part of a board resolution on October 19, will be effective from November 27. The selection is expected to be completed early next year.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-30

Which means the doubling of scams and more closing off of entrances, lifts, escalators, passageways, etc, etc because the design doesn't suit the operators/immigration/police/etc so they change things to suit themselves.

And miles more shopping malls along the access routes to the departure gates without any travelators to ease the lengthy journey, meaning every passenger has to walk about a kilometre in between getting out of their car/bus/taxi and sitting down in the plane.

And more poor signage so that at certain points along the way you actually have to ask somebody in a shop which way to go because the signage is unclear or completely absent.

I was foolish enough to think that Swampy would be a modern efficient airport when it opened, replacing all the awkwardness and scams of Don Muang. Oh fool me. TIT means that no public service will ever work logically.

So my mantra is: appreciate the good things, cope with the bad things, Thailand is Thailand, not a developed country and never will be.

This post shows that you know absolutely nothing about the second phase. You are to be transported via an underground train to the new terminal. Why would there be doubling of scams and closing off of entrances when there won't be extra entrances?

I don't see anything intelligent about this post but pure ignorance.

For me, the news is positive. At least they are trying to improve. And the Suvarnabhumi experience is still superior than many airports in the developed world, even in my country of Sweden.

• Like 1

Totally agree with the comments on gross mismanagement of the existing airport and we know the scams both for future construction and shopping will just form part of the deal. Then of course, the total inconvenience of the mentioned blocked walkways and exits at the exteriors, closures and idiots with whistles in uniforms - oh never mind. Thailand as stated is a 3rd world country and despite the plastic exterior will remain so. Expanding the pitch to receive more people? What about the infrastructure to handle it. And let's not talk about immigration...

• Like 1

Went through the airport last Thursday and Friday.

A breeze, walk in (internet checked in), get the boarding pass, changed money, carry on luggage check, immigration all in the span of 30 minutes.

On the way back...same thing...fast, efficient and easy. Walked outside, had a smoke, in the taxi, all within 30 minutes again.

Seems plenty of people here only experience or ridicule Suvarnabhumi airport in/over the peak holiday season and with the extra passengers of AirAsia and the likes.

They are all gone. Also gone are the waiting lines and all other trouble.

I used to be in favor of the old Don Muaeng Airport, but over the last 9 months, I've seen a lot, really a lot of improvements at Suvarnabhumi.

Many things you can do yourself to improve the experience there. Internet check-in for one.. Prepare yourself before you go through luggage check (pockets empty before you get at the X-ray machines...etc) With the new setup of carry-on luggage and customs after that, they made very good progress in the speed and flow of people. Customs is maybe not the fastest, but with the single waiting line and assigning passengers to the next free counter, the average time waiting came down a lot as well.

As I said, my experience has gone from quite negative to optimistic in about 10 months...

• Like 2

Which means the doubling of scams and more closing off of entrances, lifts, escalators, passageways, etc, etc because the design doesn't suit the operators/immigration/police/etc so they change things to suit themselves.

And miles more shopping malls along the access routes to the departure gates without any travelators to ease the lengthy journey, meaning every passenger has to walk about a kilometre in between getting out of their car/bus/taxi and sitting down in the plane.

And more poor signage so that at certain points along the way you actually have to ask somebody in a shop which way to go because the signage is unclear or completely absent.

I was foolish enough to think that Swampy would be a modern efficient airport when it opened, replacing all the awkwardness and scams of Don Muang. Oh fool me. TIT means that no public service will ever work logically.

So my mantra is: appreciate the good things, cope with the bad things, Thailand is Thailand, not a developed country and never will be.

How true mate.

This post shows that you know absolutely nothing about the second phase. You are to be transported via an underground train to the new terminal. Why would there be doubling of scams and closing off of entrances when there won't be extra entrances?

I don't see anything intelligent about this post but pure ignorance.

For me, the news is positive. At least they are trying to improve. And the Suvarnabhumi experience is still superior than many airports in the developed world, even in my country of Sweden.

When I was at Swampy not long after it first opened, I was hungry, I saw a sign written in English which said "Restaurants" and an arrow pointing ahead. I walked ahead about 20 Metres and came to a brick wall, I spotted a security man, pointed to the sign and shrugged my shoulders, he just looked at me and did the same. OK I know Swampy was just new then, but someone put up that sign,and must have known it was pointing to a dead end. The restaurants weren't even on that floor.

2032?

If the Thai population growth, tourism growth and the development and economy growth is on the same path as the latest years then 90 million by 2032 is definitely not good enough.

btw... wasn't there a topic about moving the capital up north? Oh they must be think way ahead, like year 2873 or something, my bad.

I fly through Suvarnabhumi pretty frequently (2 to 6 times a month since it opened) and the only times I have issues are Sundays around 8am, as Thai has about 8 flights leaving at the same time. Every other time I arrive 2 hours early, and have time for a meal and a smoke before getting to the gate a half hour or more before departure.

Sure, sometimes there are lines for immigration, but it seems to be less and less. I think it is a relatively pleasant experience with less issues than many other airports I fly through. Also, flight delays are rare unlike other airports.

I really can't complain and l am looking forward to the expansions.

Having an APEC card gets me out and back faster than the average punter but the entry and exits are still abysmal, display boards that were supposed to be for public (the large ones) are unable to be viewed by either passengers or public, completely misplaced, and the security guards on moving footways stopping access to different floors is a complete farce. Access to the street at only every third exit or trying at the street to walk from say gate 3 to 10 is not possible on the footpath provided or without moving floors within the building to go up to departures, walk the full length and then down the snakes and ladders systems. So for all you guys who can swan in and out without difficulty, you must be blessed or able to evaporate from one section to another.

Totally agree with the comments on gross mismanagement of the existing airport and we know the scams both for future construction and shopping will just form part of the deal. Then of course, the total inconvenience of the mentioned blocked walkways and exits at the exteriors, closures and idiots with whistles in uniforms - oh never mind. Thailand as stated is a 3rd world country and despite the plastic exterior will remain so. Expanding the pitch to receive more people? What about the infrastructure to handle it. And let's not talk about immigration...

Just like Los Angeles. The crooks make/steal money, infrastructure is 20 years behind requirements. etc All we can do is to enjoy what is better then at home and accept the rest and try to deal with it.

2032?

If the Thai population growth, tourism growth and the development and economy growth is on the same path as the latest years then 90 million by 2032 is definitely not good enough.

btw... wasn't there a topic about moving the capital up north? Oh they must be think way ahead, like year 2873 or something, my bad.

You mean Shin Mai?

Anyone who wants to complain about SV should try flying out of the LAX international terminal. Three long haul red eyes leaving at same time, one men's toilet in disgusting condition, not a single restaurant, bar or shop open after security check point. Absolute dump! I'll take SV anytime. Arrived at 11:30am two Saturdays ago. Went through Thai nationals immigration with wife - no wait. Thirty minutes from international arrival to domestic departure lounge, leaving two hours to kill in all those pesky shops and restaurants. The horror...

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Anyone who wants to complain about SV should try flying out of the LAX international terminal. Three long haul red eyes leaving at same time, one men's toilet in disgusting condition, not a single restaurant, bar or shop open after security check point. Absolute dump! I'll take SV anytime. Arrived at 11:30am two Saturdays ago. Went through Thai nationals immigration with wife - no wait. Thirty minutes from international arrival to domestic departure lounge, leaving two hours to kill in all those pesky shops and restaurants. The horror...

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect App

How true. I felt like I was being checked into a prison after I arrived there. The immigration officials were absolute a-holes!

Went through the airport last Thursday and Friday.

A breeze, walk in (internet checked in), get the boarding pass, changed money, carry on luggage check, immigration all in the span of 30 minutes.

On the way back...same thing...fast, efficient and easy. Walked outside, had a smoke, in the taxi, all within 30 minutes again.

Seems plenty of people here only experience or ridicule Suvarnabhumi airport in/over the peak holiday season and with the extra passengers of AirAsia and the likes.

They are all gone. Also gone are the waiting lines and all other trouble.

I used to be in favor of the old Don Muaeng Airport, but over the last 9 months, I've seen a lot, really a lot of improvements at Suvarnabhumi.

Many things you can do yourself to improve the experience there. Internet check-in for one.. Prepare yourself before you go through luggage check (pockets empty before you get at the X-ray machines...etc) With the new setup of carry-on luggage and customs after that, they made very good progress in the speed and flow of people. Customs is maybe not the fastest, but with the single waiting line and assigning passengers to the next free counter, the average time waiting came down a lot as well.

As I said, my experience has gone from quite negative to optimistic in about 10 months...

...and that was, when you woke up and realized, that you had to catch a flight?

• Like 1

Look at the bright side. Excersise is good for you.

I've done all my travel through Swampy. 20 odd times in the last three years. Had one bad experience leaving on the 23:59 flight to Brisbane on TG last January. 1 hour, 50 minutes in immigration. Since they implemented that go upstairs for security, come back downstairs for immigration (which I thought was strange at first) it has been much better. Never had more than a 10 minute wait in either the Farang or Thai queues coming in.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

When I was at Swampy not long after it first opened, I was hungry, I saw a sign written in English which said "Restaurants" and an arrow pointing ahead. I walked ahead about 20 Metres and came to a brick wall, I spotted a security man, pointed to the sign and shrugged my shoulders, he just looked at me and did the same. OK I know Swampy was just new then, but someone put up that sign,and must have known it was pointing to a dead end. The restaurants weren't even on that floor.

Good grief possum... "not long after it first opened..." Get over it <deleted>.

Sent from Buenos Aires with an Asus eePad Transformer TF201 thingumabob.

Having an APEC card gets me out and back faster than the average punter but the entry and exits are still abysmal, display boards that were supposed to be for public (the large ones) are unable to be viewed by either passengers or public, completely misplaced, and the security guards on moving footways stopping access to different floors is a complete farce. Access to the street at only every third exit or trying at the street to walk from say gate 3 to 10 is not possible on the footpath provided or without moving floors within the building to go up to departures, walk the full length and then down the snakes and ladders systems. So for all you guys who can swan in and out without difficulty, you must be blessed or able to evaporate from one section to another.

What's the significance of mentioning the APEC card? I mean you open by saying it makes your 'out and back' faster. I assume that you know where to enter to get to the check-in and where to exit to get to your chosen mode of ground transport. Why would you be going up and down 'snakes and ladders' escalators anyway? Why do you want 'access to the street' at anywhere else than at the designated drop-off and pick-up places? You check in and APEC yourself to the gate. You land and you APEC yourself to the sidewalk.

Sounds more like some Antipodeans herein can't find their own <deleted> with both hands and a flashlight.

Sent from Buenos Aires with an Asus eePad Transformer TF201 thingumabob.