Are You Annoyed By Tailors On Phuket?

steffi

How come nobody has taken care of these people. I stayed in Karon Beach over the weekend and you're constantly hassled by these people. If you walk along the beach road you end up being asked to shake the hands of many Nepalese/Indian trying to sell you a cheap crap suit. They are particularly annoying on the Luang Pong Chuan Road. I didn't once see anybody buying anything from these people so how the hel_l do they stay in business?

I can even bare the cockney Mauy Thai voice that constantly comes round. "Monday night..." but I have no patience whatsoever for these Tailor touts.

Annoying?? I think they are a great bunch of chaps, always up for a friendly banter!! :o

When I was in Karon Beach a few years back, I found them very annoying too. Maybe the effect on women is a little different, but when I'm walking down the street and someone comes charging out of a store yelling at me, I'm a wee bit put off.

Can't fault someone for plying their trade, I guess, but a little less aggresion would be a good thing IMHO

I was in Patong with my partner a few weeks ago.

The tailors were making a bee line for us, and to make it worse their 6th sense realised we were british. As soon as they clock this you are bombarded with one liners from Only fools and Horses!!

Anyhow, we soon found a way to stop them "pouncing" on us. As a couple walk hand in hand with the man on the road side. Make sure that both of you have shopping or some sort of bag in your free hand. This makes hand grabs impossible. If they jump in front of you, say "no thanks, Hes already spent all of his money on me today!" and while they are thinking about it or laughing you scuttle past them!! simple but effective!!

Having some time to kill while the girlfriend looked through DVDs, I actually walked into one of these fully willing to sign up for a couple new shirts. Out came their samples, and while they looked nice overall, one highlight was double stiching around the edge of the collar. I'm not sure if this is normal in Europe, but in the US this detail is normally found on polyester shirts from Sears or Kmart. At least that's where I recall seeing this.

Got the hard sell to stay in the store, but just ended up leaving mid sentence after they wouldn't take no for an answer. Normally I throw social graces aside and ignore these guys completely as I walk by. Feels weird to just ignore people saying hi, but I'm pretty sure they don't go home and cry if I do that. Have never been grabbed or impeded by any.

they are annoying sonsofbitches but you gotta admire their persistence. i lived in kata for a year and rarely saw a customer in one guy's shop. he was out there every day-sun up to sun down.

the trick is to not afford them the attention that we normally give to someone trying to get our attention. - eye contact, a response, etc. even when they are in your personal space it you have to develop the skill of totally ignoring their being. kind of a cool game that i've mastered. freaks them out sometimes when i'm really on. my friend and i can be standing right in front of a shop and carry on when the little brown turds are within centimeters. when you get really good you won't appear to be rude or actually ignoring them.

one key is not to let your eye move according to their motions or speech.

the worst thing you can do is let it bother you. bc they love that stuff.

Heh, I used to live in Patong, practically every morning as I walked to my car the same tailor asked me if I "wanted suit?" I ran through every emotional response over the months, but nothing could stop him. One time I was on on a bike waiting for the traffic to clear and the guy leaned off the pavement and whispered his mantra in my ear.

You could run out of the sexy show with a miss placed balloon dart in your head, trip over the guy with the 'you want massagey' postcards, get be hit by 3 tuk tuks and in your dying, bleeding vision you'd have a tailor guy offering you a suit whilst a another fella places a dirty great lizard around your neck and takes a photo.

Thats part of the charm of Patong.

And foxxy, it's no bloody different in Pattaya so don't act all innocent :o

I think there's a great market here for my idea - "I DON'T WANT A F**KING SUIT, NOT NOW, NOT EVER" t-shirts. :D

They've already stolen your idea! I've seen a couple of them worn in Patong already. It mentions the loud massage girls too!

They're hilarious! I just want to slap the guy who's wearing it every time I see it!

I think I'm going to get the <deleted> YOU t-shirt in retaliation. I find them annoying too but <deleted> they have a right to eek out a living too.IMHO :o

The biggest problem with tailors in Phuket is that their clothes make me look like a fat b"$*£)d. I just

Are you sure that's not the fault of some of those greasy pommie restaurants in Patong? :o

cv

I have feelings, you know.

"If you prick me, do I not bleed?"

Heh, I used to live in Patong, practically every morning as I walked to my car the same tailor asked me if I "wanted suit?" I ran through every emotional response over the months, but nothing could stop him. One time I was on on a bike waiting for the traffic to clear and the guy leaned off the pavement and whispered his mantra in my ear.

You could run out of the sexy show with a miss placed balloon dart in your head, trip over the guy with the 'you want massagey' postcards, get be hit by 3 tuk tuks and in your dying, bleeding vision you'd have a tailor guy offering you a suit whilst a another fella places a dirty great lizard around your neck and takes a photo.

Thats part of the charm of Patong.

And foxxy, it's no bloody different in Pattaya so don't act all innocent :D

Hey Harry....you got it wrong mate....they`re better salesmen in Pattaya.....you have to pay before they`ll put the lizard round yer neck and whilst your writhing with the thing trying to escape two of em have the tape measure up yer inside leg and have already quoted `velly nice plice`........

Patters yerve got ta luv it :o

I demmand our tailors learn these Pattaya skills immediately!

:D

OK Harry I`ve passed the word around....expect up to 6 bus loads of the finest Pattaya Tailors to descend upon the shores of Patong to commence the training. :o

You`ll easily distinguish the Pattaya Tailors from the Patong tailors as they will be better dressed and adorned with the finest head dresses and carrying top quality tape measures, which as a rule have 11 inches to the foot.:D