New Parks Chief Cuts Entry Fees To 29 National Parks: Thailand

webfact

New parks chief cuts entry fees

JANJIRA PONGRAI,

SOMJIT RUNGJAMRUSRASSAMEE

THE NATION

30193449-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Admission fees to 29 national parks have been significantly reduced thanks to an order signed by new Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) chief Rerngchai Prayoonvej.

Rerngchai signed documents yesterday cancelling rules set by his predecessor, Damrong Phidej.

On September 14, then-DNP chief Damrong ordered that the admission fees to many national parks be increased in order to boost income so the DNP could upgrade the parks in line with national standards.

As per Damrong, admission fees to 29 national parks were set at Bt100 per Thai adult, Bt50 per Thai child, Bt500 per foreign adult and Bt300 per foreign child. However, Rerngchai cancelled the order and reverted to the old rate: Bt40 per Thai adult, Bt20 per Thai child, Bt400 per foreign adult and Bt200 per foreign child.

The 29 national parks include Mu Koh Angthong in Surat Thani, Mu Koh Similan in Phang Nga, Suthep-Pui in Chiang Mai, Phu Hin Rong Kla in Phitsanulok, Pha Taem in Ubon Ratchathani and Kaeng Krachan in Phetchaburi.

Damrong had to go into mandatory retirement at the end of September.

Meanwhile, an official at the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry said Rerngchai's decision would hurt plans to upgrade facilities at national parks.

"The increase in admission fees, after all, had been applied to big national parks only," the official said.

However, Rerngchai said the reduced admission fees would attract more visitors to the parks and reduce the risk of vendors in the area losing business.

Meanwhile, an informed source said DNP was planning to collect fees via Counter Services from January 1 in order to prevent corruption on the part of ticket collectors stationed at the entrance of national parks.

In a related development, Tak Governor Suriya Prasartbundit said the road to the Ti Lor Su Waterfall was now open after a five-month closure for maintenance.

"Please use pick-up trucks instead of for four-wheeled drive vehicles," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-01

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really haven't eliminated the racist bigotry on that fee structure, like to see what would happen if they did this in OZ/ NZ or in our western friends above the equator, countriescoffee1.gif

The parks and zoos etc are that overpriced now in OZ that they would not be game to charge visitors more.

Because it is so expensive here now, they are loosing customers. Aussies are overpaid that much, is why prices are so high.

They can afford to pay the price here, where the average Thai cant pay the TB400.

• Like 2

Really haven't eliminated the racist bigotry on that fee structure, like to see what would happen if they did this in OZ/ NZ or in our western friends above the equator, countriescoffee1.gif

Thai national parks charged based on residency, not nationality or race.

At least in the States, there are plenty of instances where residents pay less than non-residents, both at government and private facilities.

I don't think you are quite correct. There is the Thai fee and then the "others" fee. Some let you pay the Thai fee if you have a Thai drivers license, but that is not a mandate or law. I have still had to pay, or at least debate, the price even with my living in Thailand.

• Like 2

My daughter has blond hair, blue eyes and is as white as the Irish and gets the Thai price.

That is cause she is a Thai citizen.

Race has nothing to do with it.

Edited by samran
  • Like 2

"Please use pick-up trucks instead of for four-wheeled drive vehicles," he said.

What does this really mean; has something been lost in translation? Has the road been surfaced so that previous need to use a four wheel drive capable vehicle is no longer necessary?

Thai national parks charged based on residency, not nationality or race.

At least in the States, there are plenty of instances where residents pay less than non-residents, both at government and private facilities.

Two wrongs does'nt make it right !

The parks and zoos etc are that overpriced now in OZ that they would not be game to charge visitors more.

Because it is so expensive here now, they are loosing customers. Aussies are overpaid that much, is why prices are so high.

They can afford to pay the price here, where the average Thai cant pay the TB400.

Maybe they can afford to pay but there are many Thais who also can afford to pay. A large number of Thais that visit national Parks are visitors from the cities, arriving in their expensive cars..........but irrespective of that, the main thing that offends foreign visitors is the two price system which is illegal in most civilised countries.

It is the misguided way of Thai thinking that to cover the cost of things....increase prices. The results thus become worse. If the Thai Government wishes to attract more foreign visitors. allocate additional funds from their Annual budget to improve Tourist facilities. ( I recently read where the thai Govt. had a surplus in an account, so they decided to spend it by sending a bunch of their cronies on an overseas holiday ???). An increase in Tourist numbers will have a flow on effect on many things other than national parks.

• Like 1

Typical Thai no mentioning whatsoever about product price relation.

Boost income-raise fees- sweep a bit, and if there to many complains, retire,and U-turn again.

Development without sustainabilty even considered.

they are all still way over price IMO , iv'e yet to go to a national park and think " wow, that was worth every baht", more like "what a rip off !!" , and i have not been to one for 10 yrs or more cos of the double pricing and the fact that i think nature ,such as waterfalls and beaches should be free to all , as per usuall in todays world some things that should be able to be enjoyed by all can only be enjoyed by those who have enough spare cash , ie THE RICH ,........To take a family of four to a national park here costs £32 .........the average thais min weekly wage <deleted>,......to look at a piece of nature that IMO should be available to all . i vote with my feet , they wont get it from me !!

• Like 1

If the extra money was used to really take care of the National Parks and not just line pockets, I might not mind so much when taking foreign friends to visit them. While some National Parks are indeed lovely, I don't think a shrivelled up old waterfall is hardly worth 400 Baht.

• Like 1

10 times is ridiculous. if it was even 2 times or ho-hum 3 times it would be more... reasonable. I've been to some national parks... it's just not worth the entry. Probably take a tour (entry included) for just a bit more than that, including lunch, snacks and someone else driving.

Exactly.

Although you will always get those who disagree with paying a single baht more than the locals I have no problem with dual pricing if it is within reason. There is nothing wrong with locals gettting a cheaper deal, it is their country and their taxes that pay for the parks, but ten times is simply extortionate.

Price comparison once again!

Visited Everglades National Park for 5 days in a row.

cost: 10 usd for one (1) car and his occupants for seven (7) days. (and I am NOT a USA passport holder)

Compare that to the 400THB per foreigner/day and the quality of US parks vs Thailand parks.

USA 1, Thailand 0

Edited by tartempion
  • Like 1

I have a letter from the former DG of the National Parks and Plant Conservation Department (in English) informing me that it is the policy of the department to allow in the future the foreigners who are living in Thailand to enter the National Parks at the same fee as the Thai. That is wishful thinking [if not sheer nonsense] because at almost every entry boot they look at you with an eye: "YOU, FARANG, YOU ARE GOING TO PAY THE TENFOLD AND I DON'T GIVE A dam_n ABOUT YOUR LETTER. I AM THE BOSS HERE !!!"

Since then, I only go to parks where it works (pay same fee as Thaisch) and the trick is: go first to pick up your entry ticket at the boot of another park or another entry and then hurry back to the boot (weher they refused to give you the same fee as for the Thaisch) because an entry ticket is valid for all parks the same day!!! Interesting for the Rachaphrapab dam site where on top of your boat fee (1,500 THB), you still have to pay the entry fee for the Khao Sok national park (400 THB). There is an other entry at he Khao Sok national park some km further along the pitoresque road nr. 401 at following GPS:

8 gr. 54' 17.82" N

98 gr. 39' 43.23" E

and you only pay 40 THB (show Thai driving license).

10 times is ridiculous. if it was even 2 times or ho-hum 3 times it would be more... reasonable. I've been to some national parks... it's just not worth the entry. Probably take a tour (entry included) for just a bit more than that, including lunch, snacks and someone else driving.

Exactly.

Although you will always get those who disagree with paying a single baht more than the locals I have no problem with dual pricing if it is within reason. There is nothing wrong with locals gettting a cheaper deal, it is their country and their taxes that pay for the parks, but ten times is simply extortionate.

Disagree. It's God's nature and the Thaisch hadn't anything to do for it, unless build a entry boot to collect the money and build some stupid accommodation that nobody uses unless the park guards for meeting their mia noy... Soon we will be required to pay a fee for breathing the Thai air... Foreign visitors have much more respect to the site than Thaisch who are throwing their trash about everywhere. Walking in a park and admiring the Creator's work should not be charged at least if you respect the nature and the environment. All what the National Parks and Plant Conservation Department is doing is destroying it with their houses, buildings, bungalows, paths, etc. we don't have to pay for this!

• Like 1