General Health Check Up - Where Best To Go?

Shoeboat

Hi, I am 42 and it's been a while since I went for a check up.

Where is a reasonably priced place to go and what price am I looking at?

I've had a sore throat for over a month, other than that I'm healthy. Also want to get a sperm count and general overall std test as I recently entered into a serious relationship.

Also, do I need to book in advance or just show up?

Would help a lot, if you mention where you live.

Major private hospitals (like the RAM chain) offer health checkups in the price range of about 4000 (?) Baht.

You can choose from different varieties depending on your age and precondition.

Very professional, own lab, all results ready within a few hours.

Not necessesary to book in adance, but as usual go early, without having meals or drinks (except water) before.

Sperm count? No idea.

Would help a lot, if you mention where you live.

Major private hospitals (like the RAM chain) offer health checkups in the price range of about 4000 (?) Baht.

You can choose from different varieties depending on your age and precondition.

Very professional, own lab, all results ready within a few hours.

Not necessesary to book in adance, but as usual go early, without having meals or drinks (except water) before.

Sperm count? No idea.

That's great info so far, cheers. I live between Asoke and Nana bts stations.

Hi, I just did a total health check including HIV and STDs at Praram 9 ( general Hospital. Cost, just under 2500 baht and they do immediately and u wait 1.5 hours and get report.. includes chest Xray and ECG reports too. Not far from Asoke either, maybe phetchaburi MRT station the closest. Go to 3rd floor, marked checkup. Take passport and a photo if u want a chopped authenticated report.

Hi, I just did a total health check including HIV and STDs at Praram 9 ( general Hospital. Cost, just under 2500 baht and they do immediately and u wait 1.5 hours and get report.. includes chest Xray and ECG reports too. Not far from Asoke either, maybe phetchaburi MRT station the closest. Go to 3rd floor, marked checkup. Take passport and a photo if u want a chopped authenticated report.

Cheers, this sounds perfect.

If all you want is HIV and STDs, the Red Cross clinic just north of and opposite Lumpini Park (gMap) is only a couple of hundred baht if you're willing to wait a day for the results, a bit more if you want them same day.

They're also the only place in Thailand that has a strict policy of anonymity.

They can also include a wide range of bloodwork tests at very little extra cost, but you have to know specifically what to ask for.

For example last time I did a full checkup at BNH (expensive but IMO good value if you're not poor) there was one specific data point that was on the high end. I followed their advice in diet/lifestyle and then next time I did my STD check I just asked for that specific add-on and it added maybe B30 to the bill.

It's also a good thing to do with your partner for mutual peace of mind, you can request to be presented with the results in the post-counseling session together as a couple. Note you need to go back and do it again six months later to be sure, even if you're sure that both of you have been "faithful" to each other.

Back to the general checkup question, these days since I'm poorer I'd advise going to the large government-run teaching hospitals like Rama Thibodi or Chula, but that entails long waiting times, especially if you need a GP with good English skills.

Bumrungrad and the farang-targeted clinics set up outside of Bangkok are not good value IMO, but I'm sure the quality isn't an issue for something as routine as this.

Most places have a range of "packages" from just a few thousand baht up to 20K or more if you want full EKG or even MRIs and such that some of my more hypochondriacal friends do.

On their website the cheapest is 3650 baht and that does not mention STD and HIV tests

http://www.praram9.com/en/package_detail.php?id=16

Edited by sms747

Second the recommendation for the Thai Red Cross with regard to STD checks and I believe they can also do some other basic blood work at much lower cost than private hospitals e.g. complete blood count, liver panel, creatnione (kidney) and chioelsterol panel.

I would suggest for the rest that you include a cardac stress test. Possibly that plus sperm count alone if the Thai Red Cross is able to do liver, kidney and cholesterol panels may be all you have to go to a private hospital for (of course bringing the blood test results with you). In a man your age other tyhan STDs the main concern is carduac fitness and risk factors for cardiac disease (e.g. elevated triglycerides and LDL cholesterol). .

Went to Param 9 - all clear.

They were not very professional, could not decide what to charge me - I felt like the first ever guy to have come for an STD test. The doctor estimated no more than 3,000 baht and referred me to the nurse for an exact figure who referred me back to the doctor. A fat lady who recorded my height held the ruler slider up with her finger and let it slip before writing it down because she was giggling and the doctor kept getting text message chimes on his fone.

On a lighter note, in the bathrooms were detailed instructions with twelve illustrations on how to wash your hands.