Toyota Avanza

lampard10

We bought an Avanza last week. Looks good,feels ok, till you try applying the Oomph. There's nothing there. I suppose we are used to the Sport Rider or Tiger or even the Ranger. Saying that though, for the price it's not a bad motor. Seats seven and still room for luggage. We paid 513,000. Anyone else got one?

We bought an Avanza last week. Looks good,feels ok, till you try applying the Oomph. There's nothing there. I suppose we are used to the Sport Rider or Tiger or even the Ranger. Saying that though, for the price it's not a bad motor. Seats seven and still room for luggage. We paid 513,000. Anyone else got one?

We tried hard to buy one but at the time they were impossible to get the top spec with air bags etc ..I think it is a very good value for money vehicle ..extremely practical for the family ,shopping and school runs ..I had planned to buy one and go to an after market shop for some go faster skirts , some graphics to break up the slab sided view ( try visiting the malaysian web site for Avanza to get some go ideas google it and fish around . Then for about 25, 000 re do the inside with leather ...some excellent shops out there doing a very professional job . Then it is still agood value car but less utilitarian looking . As for oomph the 1300 engine is frugal and carefully chipped but give it some breathing space and it will travel above the limits ,you cannot expect great acceleration ...but great mpg sorry Kilometres per litre. When we come to replace the jazz we will go for the Avenza .. it is an unsung hero ... I actually found the dealers were less interested in selling the Avenza and some times were less than helpfull it is either ,lower profit margin , quota supply , or the fact it is not a Thialand car...or you tell me . As I quoted in the posting about the Yaris my wife and kids when trying the Yaris said why spend the money on this Yaris when for a lot less and a bit of customising we can have a better Avenza ..

The Thailand Avenza web site has some good pictures .also . let me know how it feels over time .

I think it was just a stop-gap desperate thing for Toyota to have something small with 5 doors because they got caught out completely by surprise by Honda's skyhigh success with the Jazz.

I kind of expect it to be retired quietly now that they finally have a serious competitor for the Jazz in their new Yaris.

Then again, perhaps a reason that Yaris is prices relatively high is to leave space for Avanza... Who knows.

I think it was just a stop-gap desperate thing for Toyota to have something small with 5 doors because they got caught out completely by surprise by Honda's skyhigh success with the Jazz.

I kind of expect it to be retired quietly now that they finally have a serious competitor for the Jazz in their new Yaris.

Then again, perhaps a reason that Yaris is prices relatively high is to leave space for Avanza... Who knows.

Tha Avanza is inshort supply in Asia because Toyota cannot keep up with the demand it is a best seller else where see the websites It is a project from Toyota Diahatsu part of Toyota and was revamped a little body safety improved for GOA certification the engine tweeked and allowed toi carry the VVT symbol .. the market sector is not really the Jazz sector and it was first developed pre jazz .

i had rented the Avanza before and the fuel consumption is good at 14-15 km/l.

As it is taller than a sedan, so there is no problem for minor floods.

It is quite popular in Indonesia where big families are common.

The gears are highly tuned to give maximum output/torque at low rpm,

in order to carry 6 full sized adults with a 1.3l engine.

The minus points are the bumpy ride(leaf springs), poor handling and the small engine.

As it is tall & narrow, it rides and steers like a van. Understeering occurs when

driving at 80-90km/h along a curvy road. A pickup steers better. It is rather uncomfortable

when driving up & down hilly roads.

A good vehicle for city driving but thumbs down for upcountry driving.

Just my 5 satang of opinion.

I drove ours for the first time today and I was the opposite from my missus. I found it easy to drive. She hates driving it. I think for the price it's great, but I thought mine was 1,500 and the fuel consumption is higher than our 1,600 Corrolla, at least it used more on the Pattaya run. We have been told to use gasahol or 91 in it. Any advances please.

I drove ours for the first time today and I was the opposite from my missus. I found it easy to drive. She hates driving it. I think for the price it's great, but I thought mine was 1,500 and the fuel consumption is higher than our 1,600 Corrolla, at least it used more on the Pattaya run. We have been told to use gasahol or 91 in it. Any advances please.

It is still a bit new and usually when run in will get a 10% increase in mileage ( kilometerage ) , plus when I had smaller engined car I expected too much and had a lead foot .. I then learnt its limitations and stopped hammering the gas pedal and gave it a bit of time to do the job .

How did you find the ride ? bumpy ? unstable ? no body has mentioned this is rear wheel drive , a pusher not a puller .

Sorry missed this off the post and the edit function is throwing a wobbly . try the link below

http://myavanza.proboards20.com/

or just www. myavanaza.com

I see more and more Avanzas on the roads, perhaps Thais are warming up to them. It's ugly, IMO.

Slab sided I agree ugly , needs some make up !! The Innova now thats ugly !!! if it were a person it would be a middle aged traffic warden or a school dinner lady .

A few well placed grahpics make all the difference they can give the car a new lower longer line ... graphics are just begining to take a hold in Thailand .

To the other posters ..

Are you guys sure about the leaf springs !!!!!!!!!!!!

At least the new Avanza is just as ugly, if not more so.. :o

BTW, that it's ugly doesn't have to be a bad thing; Nissan sold boatloads of NV's. :D If it hits the sweet spot price-wise, it can sell.

The first Thai car we bought was the Wingroad NV with a back, just over 400,000 ran it 3 years zero problem drove well served its purpose , and my wife learned to drive a manual ...critical to being a good driver ...she now has the skill to handle any thing ...learning on an auto box not a good idea my opinion . She is a better driver than me now . The car was sold after nearly 3 years 220,000 ......depreciation ... was 180,000 ....60,000 per year ..do that calculation on a BMW , it is scary . Ugly not to the wallet !!!

If it indeed sits on a ladder frame then it should be possible to saw the roof off and make it a convertable? (As well as less tall. :o ) Then fit bigger & wider wheels, low tyres, lower the suspension a bit, fit a double exhaust...

You'd end up with a really cool convertible that still seats 7. :D

Are you guys sure about the leaf springs !!!!!!!!!!!!

Opps i made a mistake, it's coil springs rather than leaf springs but i think sedan cars dont use coil or leaf springs at all.

btw, it's underpowered so if you fix bigger wheels, do consider a bigger engine transplant.

Overall, it's good value for a mini-MPV, the next cheapest 7 seater will cost you a million baht, the Wish and the toyota agent is giving discounts on the Avanza, but not the Vigo. Wonder why?

--from avanza malaysia website---

The suspension (by the way, the bodywork is monocoque, like a passenger car’s) has a simple design too, making for low cost. Up front are independent MacPherson struts and at the rear, the live axle is located by a 4-link arrangement and rides on coil springs. It’s a proven layout and one which is also durable.

The 1.3-litre engine is a robust unit and should offer reasonable performance in normal driving conditions. In the higher rev range, the engine noise does intrude so some extra insulation may be welcome but at town speeds, it is fairly smooth and quiet.

> btw, it's underpowered so if you fix bigger wheels, do consider a bigger

> engine transplant.

Check this out.. A *totally* pimped up Avanza.. Speaking of underpowered, when that stereo is going full power, I doubt there's much power left to even move! :o

http://lensa.blogspirit.com/archive/2005/0...w_part_iii.html

Wow, it looks cool & sporty, a babe magnet perhaps?

In malaysia, it's common for 1.3litre cars to use 2 litre transplanted engines.

I wonder if it's possible to fit a 3litre diesel engine into the Avanza, although the engine compartment is quite small. In LOS, taxis are changing to LPG/CNG engines, old Mercedes Benz are changing to diesel engines, so why not? It will become a monster car!

• 6 months later...