Do You Hang Around Or Even Live In Tourist Areas?

Neeranam

live in a tourist area and you have everything at hand ,live in the sticks and die from boredom :o

I thought it was a dumb question. Why would you want to live anywhere else?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tourists can be detestable creatures. Neverless, it is undeniable that living in the vicinity of tourist areas give one a wide selection of delicious cheeses that are unavailable in the hinterlands. I can live quite well without bookstores, but I must have my cheeses...

Pardon me if I previously posted in this topic. I've only lived in Hua Hin and Chiang Mai in Thailand, but it's almost coincidental that those are tourist areas. My family members have been surburbanites for six generations now, and my present location (maybe 5 km to the nearest 7-11 or ATM) is a rural as I'd like to be.

If you want to avoid the most touristy areas like Soi Binabat in Hua Hin or Tha Phae Gate in CMai, they are easy to avoid. But when you have a hankering for a good hamburger or something even more carnal, it's handy to find them close by.

When I was here first I used to hang around Pat Pong and Nana for a couple of years or so, until I found better places to go, could speak the language, realised what the girls were after(money, in case anyone doesn't know), and really saw the people around there for what they are. Nearly all the guys I meet that have been shafted by Thai girls have picked them up in the holiday areas - Pattaya, Samui, Nana etc. I really don't understand why guys who have been here for years still hang out there with these girls who are after the gullible farang. SURELY they know why these girls go there to work and what they think of farang.

Bangkok/Thailand is a huge place and has so much more to offer.

Is it just me or do others get pissed off being treated like a tourist, especially in the tourist areas?

I live near Pattaya (35km) never hang around there. People who like to hang around with whores are addicted personalities, mostly mouthbreathing nobrainers but also really intelligent but desperate/depressed souls, sex and drugs/alcohol is their sole remedy.

But there is hope for everyone, you are a good example :D .

Being treated like a tourist in a tourist area? What should I say?? :o

People in my opinion that talk about pattaya that way are usually afraid of themselves and what they might get up to if there all the time,.if you have self restraint there is no problem as you can choose where to go,,Yes we all know it has the bg couples,. and a gathering of euro dregs, but i chose it for other reasons,( business location ) ,like everything ,if its done in moderation and you re in control there is no problem,.these idiots in pattaya were idiots where they came from ,they just relocated!,.when you have been here a while you know where to go and where not to go,its all about choice,.some people can live in rural areas like isaan,I can spend 2 days maximum in the country ,after that im off back to civilisation, of sorts!.and remember like bgs, there are more straight women than on the game, and there are more good people than bad, if one dosent think this way its all downhill ,.. Edited by mikethevigoman

Just to set the record straight - not everyone who lives in a tourist area is a total loser. Many expats live in tourist areas for work / business reasons, rather than because they are drinking themselves to death or enjoy the mediocre conversation of bar girls.

And, believe it or not, there are also some 'touristy' areas in Thailand without a large population of women with tattoos and orange hair, that are actually quite nice and fun to live in. You'll find beautiful land and seascapes, as well as nice people. But maybe you've never been down south.

In other places like Pattaya, you get treated like a tourist because you're in a tourist area and you're white and you look like a tourist. Simple, really. Just like my Thai friend got mistaken for a waitress in a Thai restaurant in London (she was pretty pissed off too).

As to why it pisses people off, I guess it's to do with the fact that no matter how long you've been in a place and how well you speak the language, you will never be thought of as 'one of us' (i.e. the indigenous people - this is the same in every country in the world). Here, this fact is just brought out into stark relief in a tourist area, which somewhat shatters the illusions one can foster at home of fitting in.

Correct, the nobrainer ones are the ones that make these stupid generalisation comments !,as stated in my reply there is an element for sure but to talk as if you know it all is showing you know nothing ,.

I live in a peaceful Thai village in Sansai Noi, I can't say I have ever seen a tourist come through there only expats and not many of them. I kind of feel bad I have never actually done the tourist thing here in Chiang Mai mostly because I haven't had time and I don't want to get ripped off but then again I never did it in my country either.

Buy a house out in the back blocks away from any neighbours and/or friends, build a brick wall around the house so that nobody looks in and you can't see out and sit in there every day. Happy??? :D

Live in or near a tourist area and enjoy what is on offer. Lots of businesses, restaurants, bars and yes, girls. I feel sorry for you stuck up guys who don't enjoy looking at or talking to a beautiful female just because of her occupation. :o

Then there is the excitement of the night life, meeting new friends/acquaintances or just sitting in a bar and watching people being people.

I could never get sick of that. Variety is the spice of life. Having fun keeps you young and alive. :D

If I lived in Pattaya, I would venture into the night life areas fairly often, watch a movie, have a few drinks with friends, but I think the secret of staying healthy and preserving your money is not to try and live your life as a tourist. :D

Perfectly put MM, :D

Buy a house out in the back blocks away from any neighbours and/or friends, build a brick wall around the house so that nobody looks in and you can't see out and sit in there every day. Happy??? :D

Live in or near a tourist area and enjoy what is on offer. Lots of businesses, restaurants, bars and yes, girls. I feel sorry for you stuck up guys who don't enjoy looking at or talking to a beautiful female just because of her occupation. :o

Then there is the excitement of the night life, meeting new friends/acquaintances or just sitting in a bar and watching people being people.

I could never get sick of that. Variety is the spice of life. Having fun keeps you young and alive. :D

If I lived in Pattaya, I would venture into the night life areas fairly often, watch a movie, have a few drinks with friends, but I think the secret of staying healthy and preserving your money is not to try and live your life as a tourist. :D

Here Here !

I live here, work here and am married to a Thai.

Pattaya is our choice as it is not to far from my 6 day a week job, and in my little time off I can walk out my front door and have a multitude of bars and restaurants within a short walk.

The suggestions that me and my ilk are sad whoremongers is so far off the mark it is blatantly untrue and I would really start to question the mindset of those individuals who constantly rant and rave like this.

Get yourselves a life and stop crticising everyone elses.

There is an underlying problem with these guys, do you think they will tell us what it is ? :D

The farang ghettos where the tourists hang around are geared for tourists. It's pretty simple. English is spoken and it is like being in an adult Disneyland day after day. For you better than thou types it's different strokes for different folks. After you spend enough time in the Disneyland for adults you get burned out on it and look for a more normal lifestyle. I for one enjoyed being around the (whores is an UGLY word) working girls and for the most part they are decent people too. It is not a place for bible thumpers or other radical types but for divorced males especially it is a place to forget about the real world. After you become a true expat you do learn from the Thai people that tolerance IS a virtue.
(whores is an UGLY word) I agree, and like nigger and queer it should be banned,.usually used in a derogatory fashion by someone to offend,.

QUOTE(cdnvic @ 2006-02-07 20:31:01) *

QUOTE(Patex @ 2006-02-07 16:47:53) *

People who like to hang around with whores

I think we can do without these kinds of derogatory comments.

cv

I agree, I have made friends with a couple of Thai women who happen to work in bars and find comments like that out of order.

I ended up living in a tourist area because it's where I came and fell in love with the place as a tourist - and it's close to the nightlife.

Off to Dubai on 18th though. smile.gif

Why is w***e derogatory? You know a couple of girls who happened to sell their bodies for money?

Wh**e-prostitute-bargirl

I've known lots of w**res who are really nice girls - it's an ok profession.

I now know lots of guys who are married to ex-bargirls - some of them are nice too.

In simple terms, do you use nigger or coloured person ? queer or gay person ? .there is no need to be rude .from your comments i think you use all the former,.

I have the tattoos, now I 'll just have to sign up in a bar as a whore :o This is the same reaction as my 87 years old grandmother had when she saw my tattoo, she said that only criminals have tattoos :D

I'm not saying that everybody should like tattoos or piercings, I'm just saying that having tattoos or piercing or coloured hair, does not make you a lowlife, afterall, we all live in the 20th century

If david beckhams a lowlife what does that make us ? :D

I have the tattoos, now I 'll just have to sign up in a bar as a whore

what were you told about generalizing alex?

Another one? :o:D

Shall I ask for your approval before posting? :D:D

By the look of your last couple of posts i think you should. :D

A friend of mine has a saying " if you are in a hole stop digging "

I have the tattoos, now I 'll just have to sign up in a bar as a whore

what were you told about generalizing alex?

Another one? :o:D

Shall I ask for your approval before posting? :D:bah:

By the look of your last couple of posts i think you should. :D

A friend of mine has a saying " if you are in a hole stop digging "

i can lend you a shovel :D