Do You Hang Around Or Even Live In Tourist Areas?

Neeranam

But anyway, why associate with them in tourist areas: Because there's much less chance of running into Thai collegues or relatives or friends of the missus there? ("Oh.. Hi dad.. (in law)" ) Because tourist bars are more of a comfort zone where you can be yourself without having to entertain all the Thai uncles eyeing the interesting white diversion that you represent, and be forced to discuss Manchester United even though you're from Boston and wouldn't know who "Rooney" was even if your life depended on it? Because you can drink liquor by the glass instead of having to order by the barrel? Because you prefer Achy Breaky Hart over the latest Grammy-droid? Because you (someone) don't speak Thai that well? Because discos in tourist areas actually have a dance floor instead of having to wiggle about in between 6000 tables and chairs in arctic temperatures and complete darkness? Because you're more likely to meet other foreigners who you can complain about Thailand to? Because you'd much rather just pay bar rather than fart around with flower garlands with 100 baht notes stapled to them? Because you LIKE the type & attitude of the girls, who by and large don't bother to try to act like subservient angle faced fairies who magically turn starfish upon contact with a bed sheet?

Excellent reply! Except may run into farang colleagues! But don't forget not having to "cheers" every 30 seconds and answer "...you come from?" from everybody.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> The point is not whether someone uses "w***es" or not. It is why use

> them in the tourist areas?

Ok this is getting very esoteric.. :D I think I prefer to call a spade a spade no matter if the spade is in a tourist area or not. :D Nah, seriously, the original question was if people like to hang out or live in tourist areas or not, and why. As you point out yourself, bargirls/sex workers really shouldn't be an issue in this either way, because they're abundant everywhere, not just tourist areas.

But anyway, why associate with them in tourist areas: Because there's much less chance of running into Thai collegues or relatives or friends of the missus there? ("Oh.. Hi dad.. :D (in law)" ) Because tourist bars are more of a comfort zone where you can be yourself without having to entertain all the Thai uncles eyeing the interesting white diversion that you represent, and be forced to discuss Manchester United even though you're from Boston and wouldn't know who "Rooney" was even if your life depended on it? Because you can drink liquor by the glass instead of having to order by the barrel? Because you prefer Achy Breaky Hart over the latest Grammy-droid? Because you (someone) don't speak Thai that well? Because discos in tourist areas actually have a dance floor instead of having to wiggle about in between 6000 tables and chairs in arctic temperatures and complete darkness? Because you're more likely to meet other foreigners who you can complain about Thailand to? Because you'd much rather just pay bar rather than fart around with flower garlands with 100 baht notes stapled to them? Because you LIKE the type & attitude of the girls, who by and large don't bother to try to act like subservient angle faced fairies who magically turn starfish upon contact with a bed sheet?

Just guessing. :o

> I love a good night out in bars in mostly Northern bangkok

> when there with friends

Cool.. Whereabouts are those bars? You mean like Suthisan / Saphan Khwai or even more North?

Cheers,

Chanchao

Excellent and amusing post, marred only by Chanchao's liking of Achy Braky Heart which for me is a kind of torture!

I live in touristy Sukhumvit area in BKK. I do so because it is never boring. I would never ever live the life of Neeranam bah.gif . I have read his posts for a long while and it is clear that he is an extremely bored person forced to live on the cheap due to lack of funding. Living in the middle of nowhere is not exactly my idea of joy. The nerve cutting down living in the middle of the action. One's boring backwoods life is one's own problem ermm.gif , count me out of it wink.gif

I used to say that I'd never live my kind of life now - far from boring.

The reason I moved to Isaan, and Thailand, was nothing to do with money - you probably don't know anything outside the tourist area, which is Ok - but there is a lot more.

I lived on Sukh 49 for 4 years - central enough for me without being in the middle of tourist land.

I lived in Bangkok for 10 years and had a totally crazy time, you wouldn't believe half of what went on.

Believe me, you will get bored of that area after a couple of years. :o

People who like to hang around with whores

I think we can do without these kinds of derogatory comments.

cv

I agree, I have made friends with a couple of Thai women who happen to work in bars and find comments like that out of order.

I ended up living in a tourist area because it's where I came and fell in love with the place as a tourist - and it's close to the nightlife.

Off to Dubai on 18th though. :o

QUOTE(cdnvic @ 2006-02-07 20:31:01) *

QUOTE(Patex @ 2006-02-07 16:47:53) *

People who like to hang around with whores

I think we can do without these kinds of derogatory comments.

cv

I agree, I have made friends with a couple of Thai women who happen to work in bars and find comments like that out of order.

I ended up living in a tourist area because it's where I came and fell in love with the place as a tourist - and it's close to the nightlife.

Off to Dubai on 18th though. smile.gif

Why is w***e derogatory? You know a couple of girls who happened to sell their bodies for money?

Wh**e-prostitute-bargirl

I've known lots of w**res who are really nice girls - it's an ok profession.

I now know lots of guys who are married to ex-bargirls - some of them are nice too.

The Dude would like to say that he lives in the heart of touristy sukhumvit bkk and he digs it with a shovel. There's a lot of hot chicks around and a lot of action, which The Dude digs big time. The Dude digs other tourist areas around Thailand too cause they are cool and offer similar things. The Dude would never live out in the counry because it is totally bogus. The Dude never digs things that are bogus. Can you dig?

Edited by The Dude

I live in Suphanburi, not by choice but that's where the wife''s family lives. There ain't nothin' there...if I want to drink beer outside I go to the bus station. Access to cinema, reading materials and other western cultural stimulation is out of the equation. I like going to the smoke and staying in a nice hotel now and then but these excursions are usually for business reasons, ie., a job interview or flying out to take up a job somewhere. Except for the shopping the wife hates BKK. The kids are amused and enjoy luxuriating in a bathtub or at the swimming pool at the Rembrandt.

However, as they say, home is where the heart is...Suphan may be the pits but that's where our home and family reside...nothing more to be said...

I love going to Phuket, Patong is a great party evironment, i do not go there for the Bar girls but just to hang with the girls and give them abit of a tease.

Before i proposed to my Fiancee i went there with a friend and he was a horny bugger, i said if i can get drunk every night and not go home with anyone i am ready to propose. I thought i would be tempted and i was let me tell ya. But i survived there for 2 weeks without taking any bar girls home.

now the place is just a great party place where now i can go and not worry about me being pussy whipped by a goergous bar girl :o

I love going to Phuket, Patong is a great party evironment, i do not go there for the Bar girls but just to hang with the girls and give them abit of a tease.

Before i proposed to my Fiancee i went there with a friend and he was a horny bugger, i said if i can get drunk every night and not go home with anyone i am ready to propose. I thought i would be tempted and i was let me tell ya. But i survived there for 2 weeks without taking any bar girls home.

now the place is just a great party place where now i can go and not worry about me being pussy whipped by a goergous bar girl :o

those girls must hate that, wasting precious time with no hope of landing a customer

I live in Suphanburi, not by choice but that's where the wife''s family lives. There ain't nothin' there...if I want to drink beer outside I go to the bus station. Access to cinema, reading materials and other western cultural stimulation is out of the equation. I like going to the smoke and staying in a nice hotel now and then but these excursions are usually for business reasons, ie., a job interview or flying out to take up a job somewhere. Except for the shopping the wife hates BKK. The kids are amused and enjoy luxuriating in a bathtub or at the swimming pool at the Rembrandt.

However, as they say, home is where the heart is...Suphan may be the pits but that's where our home and family reside...nothing more to be said...

well tuts, certainly you have your very good reasons for residing there; no one can argue with that. nice that you also acknowledge that not a whole helluva lot is going on out there in the stix. I have you a shovel and one shovel to all for a most diggable post. dig?

Yeah, I got stucked in Pattaya for business reasons and the only 2 friends I got, but I'm getting really tired of all the touristic treatment, also, thai friends from Bangkok know about Pattaya and know that all the scum in Thailand is coming here, girls, thieves, lowlifes...as for the ladies, you don't find too many speaking something else than money, bum-bum, farang no good and all the crap that pushed you down on the scale, I can't stay in Pattaya more than a month, need to get in touch with my friends in Bkk and refresh my brains a little :o

Another 3 day stay there has once again confirmed where i could never live-

Bangkok :o

The place just drives me mad, i've been at soi 24 this time, too busy, too hot and lots of very ignorant and rude people. Thai and farang.

:D

Same Pattaya, Dave, I heard from a very good and educated friend that Bangkok still has some areas with some good and educated people, on the other hand, Pattaya it's just so full of ###### and retards, rarely can find good people here and by good people, I am not refering to the happy men thanking you for a small tip or something...maybe I'm too harsh, but that's what I think :D

Edited by alexth

Bangkok has some very nice areas, probably Pattaya has too.

Pat Pong in Bkk is beyond a joke. I went to buy a fake football shirt and when asked in Thai for some discount and I wasn't a tourist, the guy told me to "<deleted> off". They are only interested in clueless tourists with money. There was a really bad feeling there, a lot worse than 10 years ago.

I stayed in a friend's apartment in soi 7 at xmas - I went walking along soi 7/1 loking for some normal Thai food. I couldn't find any so asked a group of bargirls where they got the stuff they were eating. They invited me to eat with them free. They were from the city where I live in the NE and I gave them the Laotian patter. I felt really sorry for these girls as they were not happy and missed their home but were sticking it out waiting for the jackpot farang who if they were lucky had a good heart too. Two of them admitted to being alcoholics and two to being drug addicts, after I told them why I couldn't drink the beer they were drinking. This was at noon.

The place just drives me mad, i've been at soi 24 this time, too busy, too hot and lots of very ignorant and rude people. Thai and farang.

Same Pattaya, Dave, I heard from a very good and educated friend that Bangkok still has some areas with some good and educated people, on the other hand, Pattaya it's just so full of ###### and retards, rarely can find good people here and by good people, I am not refering to the happy men thanking you for a small tip or something...maybe I'm too harsh, but that's what I think :D

Does someone have to be well educated to become a good person?

I could introduce you to some very nice good people here in pattaya ranging from BG's to katoeys to lawyers, service staff whatever.

The rude people i encountered were the hiso idiots who live their lives according to magazines and whatever the Emporium or Paragon centres recommend, that along with farangs who think they are superior because they live and work in BKK (not all farangs btw).

None of these people impress me, i've lived beautiful lifestyles and driven nice cars and worn nice clothes before but i'm quite happy living where i live in the real world with my lovely dark skinned thai wife in sin city pattaya :D .

I also met some lovely people in BKK, the majority were the amazing young thai blues musicans that i met. :D

Does someone have to be well educated to become a good person?

I could introduce you to some very nice good people here in pattaya ranging from BG's to katoeys to lawyers, service staff whatever.

The rude people i encountered were the hiso idiots who live their lives according to magazines and whatever the Emporium or Paragon centres recommend, that along with farangs who think they are superior because they live and work in BKK (not all farangs btw).

None of these people impress me, i've lived beautiful lifestyles and driven nice cars and worn nice clothes before but i'm quite happy living where i live in the real world with my lovely dark skinned thai wife in sin city pattaya :D .

I also met some lovely people in BKK, the majority were the amazing young thai blues musicans that i met. :D

:D Dave, I didn't say that educated people are good people, just that you have a better chance of finding good people in Bkk than Pattaya, wearing expensive clothes and driving expensive cars won't make you a better person, what you are talking about the good people in Pattaya...there are few of them and we have to realize that the majority rules, I've visited your bar, I've seen your staff and I was amazed, really, no BS, great people...I have a few good thai and farang friends in Pattaya myself, I was just saying that you have a better chance finding them in Bkk than Pattaya...

99% of people on here will have come to Thailand as a tourist.90 odd % of people on here will have enjoyed the BG's, what wrong with that ? What rattles me is Farangs harping on abt don't do this, don't go there, and shouting whore, whore , whore is a sure fire way to get a slap if you ever come near me.

I live in a tourist area and I like it here, its a choice, some of you dick heads commenting are severly dissillusioned people.Iam very successful, intelligent and live in Pattaya where is the problem ??? One or two comments on this thread really make me hope I meet some of you down a dark alley and then I'll address correctly some truelly awful comments made abt both Expats and Thais, and anyone talking abt Thai ladies no matter what they do and refering to them as Whores deserve to be thrown out the country.Your Scumbags.

:o EPG

99% of people on here will have come to Thailand as a tourist.90 odd % of people on here will have enjoyed the BG's, what wrong with that ? What rattles me is Farangs harping on abt don't do this, don't go there, and shouting whore, whore , whore is a sure fire way to get a slap if you ever come near me.

I live in a tourist area and I like it here, its a choice, some of you dick heads commenting are severly dissillusioned people.Iam very successful, intelligent and live in Pattaya where is the problem ??? One or two comments on this thread really make me hope I meet some of you down a dark alley and then I'll address correctly some truelly awful comments made abt both Expats and Thais, and anyone talking abt Thai ladies no matter what they do and refering to them as Whores deserve to be thrown out the country.Your Scumbags.

:D EPG

Looks like we have a warrior here :o

Alexth surely you are talking absolute crap there my friend, the population in BKK is far bigger than Pattaya so maybe you'll find more people to YOUR liking, however to generalise like that makes you appear very dumb...are you ?

As I said Iam a decent person and just abt everyone I know in Pattaya is a decent person, I've met very few in BKK.... does that make me say more decent folk are in Pattaya ? No of course not.As for bar girls, many more bar girls in BKK than Pattaya.Come on Son shine your points are utter meaningless drivel.

Not a warrior just a level headed Brit who can see through the multitude of crap spouted by some dead beats on this forum.

Alexth surely you are talking absolute crap there my friend, the population in BKK is far bigger than Pattaya so maybe you'll find more people to YOUR liking, however to generalise like that makes you appear very dumb...are you ?

As I said Iam a decent person and just abt everyone I know in Pattaya is a decent person, I've met very few in BKK.... does that make me say more decent folk are in Pattaya ? No of course not.As for bar girls, many more bar girls in BKK than Pattaya.Come on Son shine your points are utter meaningless drivel.

Not a warrior just a level headed Brit who can see through the multitude of crap spouted by some dead beats on this forum.

Ok, before rushing into conclusions...read the topic title...the question is simple, do you or do you not like to Hang Around Or Even Live In Tourist Areasthe tourist areas? My answer was simply no, I am not making a poll about how many bg's in Pattaya or how many in Bkk, if I am in Bkk, I don't hang around the tourist area. What does this have to do with bar girls? And about MY liking, we all have the right to like whatever we please, I don't need YOU to tell ME what should I like...

I like this guy. :o

I like this guy. :o

Ok, before rushing into conclusions...read the topic title...the question is simple, do you or do you not like to Hang Around Or Even Live In Tourist Areasthe tourist areas? My answer was simply no, I am not making a poll about how many bg's in Pattaya or how many in Bkk, if I am in Bkk, I don't hang around the tourist area. What does this have to do with bar girls? And about MY liking, we all have the right to like whatever we please, I don't need YOU to tell ME what should I like...

Without wanted to sound to patronising I'd suggest you read ALL you threads better as you are a typical condescending fool.I don't mean that offensively.

I like this guy. :D

Good Job mate - everyone deserves respect until proven otherwise. :o

You have to admit alexth that this comment from you does leave you open to attack.

Same Pattaya, Dave, I heard from a very good and educated friend that Bangkok still has some areas with some good and educated people, on the other hand, Pattaya it's just so full of ###### and retards, rarely can find good people here and by good people, I am not refering to the happy men thanking you for a small tip or something...maybe I'm too harsh, but that's what I think

Your sentance-

I heard from a very good and educated friend that Bangkok still has some areas with some good and educated people

Is absolutley ridiculous to be honest. There are good educated people everywhere! You don't need a good educated friend to tell you that.

Also you say-

on the other hand, Pattaya it's just so full of ###### and retards, rarely can find good people here

Again sorry but thats absolute nonsence.

:o

When I was here first I used to hang around Pat Pong and Nana for a couple of years or so, until I found better places to go, could speak the language, realised what the girls were after(money, in case anyone doesn't know), and really saw the people around there for what they are. Nearly all the guys I meet that have been shafted by Thai girls have picked them up in the holiday areas - Pattaya, Samui, Nana etc. I really don't understand why guys who have been here for years still hang out there with these girls who are after the gullible farang. SURELY they know why these girls go there to work and what they think of farang.

Bangkok/Thailand is a huge place and has so much more to offer.Is it just me or do others get pissed off being treated like a tourist, especially in the tourist areas?

Remove the foreign tourist / expat areas from Bangkok and you basically have a Manila. There is not much happening in Thailand outside the foreigner areas.... no books, no newspspers, no restaurants nada.

Some of us live in beach towns like Phuket, Pattaya and Hua Hin because we like beach towns, and living at the beach, and swimming in the water (not that the water in Pattaya exceeds the standards of bilge water). If I want to drive my motorcycle between Olaf, Sven, Hilda and Inge during tourist season, I can; or I can stay home and swim in cleaner water at a better beach. Bangkok is hardly an option, and I moved from Chiang Mai, both of which can be mis-classified as tourist towns.

Pardon me if I'm repeating this, but now I like to say, "I'm not a tourist; I live here." I'm waiting to tell a Bangkokian, "You are tourist; I live here. Welcome to Hua Hin."

...a very strange comment indeed.

Have you ever been outside tourist areas, Jim?

Can't find any restaurants, never noticed any bars, markets, sports events, concerts, etc.?

Poor Jim!

Plenty of restaurants, bars and markets everywhere, sport events and concerts...I really don't care about it.

As for the other posters...from now on, I will keep posting on your will, I will agree to everything you guys say if that makes you guys happy...but my opinion will still be the same.