Do You Hang Around Or Even Live In Tourist Areas?

Neeranam

When I was here first I used to hang around Pat Pong and Nana for a couple of years or so, until I found better places to go, could speak the language, realised what the girls were after(money, in case anyone doesn't know), and really saw the people around there for what they are. Nearly all the guys I meet that have been shafted by Thai girls have picked them up in the holiday areas - Pattaya, Samui, Nana etc. I really don't understand why guys who have been here for years still hang out there with these girls who are after the gullible farang. SURELY they know why these girls go there to work and what they think of farang.

Bangkok/Thailand is a huge place and has so much more to offer.

Is it just me or do others get pissed off being treated like a tourist, especially in the tourist areas?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I live in a tourist area for work reasons, so I dont have so much of a choice.

And although I dont get ripped of by bar girls on a regular basis :D I do still continue to be treated like a tourist and ripped off, even though I speak Thai and dont look like a tourist (as I wear very smart clothes for work).

Just the other day - 140 baht for a bag of vegetables at the market, and today in the DVD shop.

It drives me crazy sometimes, I might go home :o

I wouldn't want to live in tourist areas but I definitely visit tourist areas. Most of the international restaurants & expat bars tend to be in those areas, too.

Can't say I enjoy places like Patpong of course, but on most trips to Bangkok I do have a look around Nana or Cowboy and so on. Also wouldn't want to miss the Arab restaurants around Suk Soi 3.. Brilliant, but obviously a tourist area.

When I was here first I used to hang around Pat Pong and Nana for a couple of years or so, until I found better places to go, could speak the language, realised what the girls were after(money, in case anyone doesn't know), and really saw the people around there for what they are. Nearly all the guys I meet that have been shafted by Thai girls have picked them up in the holiday areas - Pattaya, Samui, Nana etc. I really don't understand why guys who have been here for years still hang out there with these girls who are after the gullible farang. SURELY they know why these girls go there to work and what they think of farang.

Is it just me or do others get pissed off being treated like a tourist, especially in the tourist areas?

I live near Pattaya (35km) never hang around there. People who like to hang around with whores are addicted personalities, mostly mouthbreathing nobrainers but also really intelligent but desperate/depressed souls, sex and drugs/alcohol is their sole remedy.

But there is hope for everyone, you are a good example :D .

Being treated like a tourist in a tourist area? What should I say?? :o

I quite like the tourist areas for the 'train wreck' value and usually it is with a tourist friend in tow.

Otherwise, would be mind numbing to hang out at Nana even for a solid 5 hours or pointless conversation.

However with a friend, and the fun is there to joke around and that could be done anywhere, even somewhere with a nice view :-) (i.e. not Nana).

has anyone else noticed? There are a lot of women hanging around nana, and for some reason, quite a few of them want to know my name, where I am from, and also whether I will pay Ba?

Why do I need to pay for the forest??? Please, can an expert expat respond? :o

"Why do I need to pay for the forest??? Please, can an expert expat respond? "

:o I asked the same thing once!

Sorry my quote thingy isn't working - at work.

""sex and drugs/alcohol is their sole remedy""

very sad, but totally understandable, as been there.

But you can get sex, drugs and booze much cheaper at other places around the country/Bangkok.

Just to set the record straight - not everyone who lives in a tourist area is a total loser. Many expats live in tourist areas for work / business reasons, rather than because they are drinking themselves to death or enjoy the mediocre conversation of bar girls.

And, believe it or not, there are also some 'touristy' areas in Thailand without a large population of women with tattoos and orange hair, that are actually quite nice and fun to live in. You'll find beautiful land and seascapes, as well as nice people. But maybe you've never been down south.

In other places like Pattaya, you get treated like a tourist because you're in a tourist area and you're white and you look like a tourist. Simple, really. Just like my Thai friend got mistaken for a waitress in a Thai restaurant in London (she was pretty pissed off too).

As to why it pisses people off, I guess it's to do with the fact that no matter how long you've been in a place and how well you speak the language, you will never be thought of as 'one of us' (i.e. the indigenous people - this is the same in every country in the world). Here, this fact is just brought out into stark relief in a tourist area, which somewhat shatters the illusions one can foster at home of fitting in.

I lived in Pattaya throughout my twelve years in Thailand. Hardly ever went to a bar.

I have an appartment in the center of Edinbugh, and I live in the center of Rome (You don't get more touristy).

In Rome and Edinbugh I spend a lot of time in bars.

Conclusions to be drawn from this might give a false impression, or at least one that is of little use other than to be an obsevation. It says not much, if nothing at all about me.

I live near Pattaya (35km) never hang around there. People who like to hang around with whores are addicted personalities, mostly mouthbreathing nobrainers but also really intelligent but desperate/depressed souls, sex and drugs/alcohol is their sole remedy.

But there is hope for everyone, you are a good example :D .

Being treated like a tourist in a tourist area? What should I say?? :o

It was not my intention to belittle people who life in Thailands touristareas. I also know a lot of people, living in Pattaya and not/seldom hang around in bars :D .

Patex

I'm an expat who nightly hangs around bars and "whores".

Am I an addicted personality or a mouthbreathing nobrainer but an also really intelligent but desperate/depressed soul, sex and drugs/alcohol is my sole remedy?

A bit of a daft generalisation IMO Patex.

I also know a lot of people, living in Pattaya and not/seldom hang around in bars :D .

Does that make folk bad going to bars more than seldomly?

Some "whores" are friends of the wife and I and they are nice girls.

Seems to me alot of people here dwell on the "gulliable farang" or "cheating bargirl" thing and are paranoid and scared of it.

Of course you could just live happily with your partner and live a normal life here, it is possible. :D

Edited by davethailand

I rarely go down there myself (hate the traffic) but it is amusing once in a while. I think the last time I was down there was for a Thaivisa party ;-)

By the way folks, what you think of the new avatar? got tired of the 'ol skull pic. Gotta love those football hooligans!

Greg

Am I an addicted personality or a mouthbreathing nobrainer but an also really intelligent but desperate/depressed soul, sex and drugs/alcohol is my sole remedy?

Your wife doesn't mind? :o

Nothing wrong with hanging around bars and "whores" - but why in tourist areas? If you own a bar, which you do I think, fair enough. Owning a bar in Pattaya is what normal people do.

Nothing wrong with hanging around bars and "whores" - but why in tourist areas? If you own a bar, which you do I think, fair enough. Owning a bar in Pattaya is what normal people do.

Why should Dave's wife mind? She's got naught to worry about. I might add Mrs Davethailand - is one of the sweetest ladies around!!! :D

People who like to hang around with whores

I think we can do without these kinds of derogatory comments.

cv

Indeed, especially when made by someone feverishly slavering over the pic of a young lady on a TV member's avatar... :o

QUOTE(cdnvic @ 2006-02-07 20:31:01)

QUOTE(Patex @ 2006-02-07 16:47:53)

cv

Indeed, especially when made by someone feverishly slavering over the pic of a young lady on a TV member's avatar...

Derogatory to whom?

cv

Ooooops I did it again :o

Couldn't resist, sorry. It's just fun, some of the members are like radios: you press the button and the music plays... try to improve :D

Patex

cv

Ooooops I did it again :o

Couldn't resist, sorry. It's just fun, some of the members are like radios: you press the button and the music plays... try to improve :D

Patex

:D

Yes I have a bar in Walking Street which is the hub of pattaya for "whores" and tourists.

The wifes isnormally out without me in some bars/ clubs, We meet up later. :D

In other places like Pattaya, you get treated like a tourist because you're in a tourist area and you're white and you look like a tourist. Simple, really. Just like my Thai friend got mistaken for a waitress in a Thai restaurant in London (she was pretty pissed off too).

g in.

My Thai wife got taken for an attendant at an internet cafe in China, didn't pi** her off. She kept saying I speak english not chinese in her best thai-english, while I kept laffing.

Isn't this a bargirl discussion?

I assume Neeranam doesn't think Pattaya is full of only girls that prey on gullible farang etc. because a lot of Thai families/people holiday here every weekend. Why shouldn't you meet your gf in this area? :o

To think that if you find a girl that's in a Thai bar she is 100% sure not to prey on a gullible farang is naive. :D

I'm susprised you get treated like a tourist in these areas Neeranam as I know your fluent with the lingo, just a few words should clear it up for anybody trying it on I would have thought, works for me.

What was the question again? I do live, for years now, in the middle of a night-life area.

What should be the problem?

My wife (not Thai) and me enjoy the proximity to a bustling city. Nothing wrong with the girls next door. They do their job. Sometimes, (after wife sleeps) we talk. You know the biggest story? All the guys who complain in daytime about the whores, are unable to perform with the girls, even if they pay double. :o

What was the question again? I do live, for years now, in the middle of a night-life area.

What should be the problem?

My wife (not Thai) and me enjoy the proximity to a bustling city. Nothing wrong with the girls next door. They do their job. Sometimes, (after wife sleeps) we talk. You know the biggest story? All the guys who complain in daytime about the whores, are unable to perform with the girls, even if they pay double. :D

OUCH next time tell him how you really feel :o

Neeranam, with an average of 6.1 posts per day, I guess you don't really have a lot to do in your Utopian Nirvana. Some of us scum bags and our whores have work to do and after that we have a place to enjoy our hard earnt cash. Sorry if thats not your cup of tea but I guess you'll be busy tapping away on your keyboard while the rest of us are having a jolly old time.

Because perhaps its fun??? :D Any rate it takes two seconds to figure out you aren't a tourist and possibly a long time visitor or resident.

I think most thais don't really get the distinction between tourists and long term visitor/residents.

Despite our wishfull thinking the majority of thais will always treat us as tourists. Up to them I suppose :o

Because perhaps its fun??? :D Any rate it takes two seconds to figure out you aren't a tourist and possibly a long time visitor or resident.

I think most thais don't really get the distinction between tourists and long term visitor/residents.

Despite our wishfull thinking the majority of thais will always treat us as tourists. Up to them I suppose :D

Maybe but, after blabbing a few words in Thai - normally treated a lil different than a run of the mill tourist. :o