Why So Many Europeans, Americans And Canadians Want To Live In Thailand?

Om85

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. I wouldn't.

I'd rather live in Pattaya. It has many of the same problems, but at least it's got a decent nightlife and lots of drop dead gorgeous women [sC: My bold], plus it's by the sea, which is nice just over the hill in Jomptien.

Unfortunately I had to choose between my wife and Pattaya, and Pattaya lost. However, at least I can cross the road here without risking getting maimed.

I hope you've moved somewhere handy for an optician's

SC

Obviously you have never hung out in Central during the day!

I can't believe i just read "decent nightlife in Pattaya"

decent ?

decent ??

decent?!!

decent compared to what ?

where in Buddhas name is nightlife better than decent then ?

(apart from the misery of traffic jam to actually get to the nightlife of course)

Better than where I am now, where nightlife consists of hanging out in an attap shack with a few fairy lights that is so dark it isn't possible to see the face of the "hostess" that you're talking to, and the "music" is so loud that you can't hear her anyway.

Certainly better than the village I used to live in, where "nightlife" consisted of trying not to run over the dogs lying on the road while driving back from the IT cafe in the town, because there isn't one in the village.

True, nightlife was better in Bkk, but who would want to live in Bkk if they didn't have to?

I can't speak for Europeans, but as for Americans, I'd say there are a lot more retired in Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, etc. than in Thailand.

This has actually been discussed on another thread.

There are 1000 times more Americans who have retired to Mexico and South America.

I love South America just as much as Thailand. However, when I retire (40 years from now) I would be more inclined to do so in South America.

Cops and politicians down there are just as corrupt as Thailand, however, it's not out there in the open like it is over here.

And you can also own property thumbsup.gif

However, when I retire (40 years from now) I would be more inclined to do so in South America.

Think about what Thailand was like 40 years ago

In 40 years it will be interesting to see where a good place to retire is.

I can only imagine the changes

Or did you mean 4 years & it was a typo?

Edited by mania

However, when I retire (40 years from now) I would be more inclined to do so in South America.

Think about what Thailand was like 40 years ago

In 40 years it will be interesting to see where a good place to retire is.

I can only imagine the changes

Or did you mean 4 years & it was a typo?

40 years :)

But you are right. The world is changing rapidly.

Let's hope Starbucks does not take over the world by then........

• Like 1

There is hardly anywhere in Chiang Mai that you can't walk to. The core of the city (moat area) is less than 2 km from side to side, and another 2 km will take you to most of the mooban areas just outside the city core. If you can't walk 4 km then you better start exercising. I retract that statement for people who have long term physical problems. You can't say that for Bangkok or even Pattaya.

Maybe i'm wrong but it seems that many of the people posting here, seem to "love Thailand" because back in their countries they were just a bunch of losers, with no chicks, no money, and a very narrow horizont.

Judging people's worth by their financial success seems a pretty narrow horizont to me. . .

There are lots of people who are losers, if we don't judge a person by income or net worth. In LOS, it doesn't matter so much that they are not liked by their native peers or are hopeless alcoholics who's life revolves around booze, and girls don't check to see if they suffer from chronic depression or whatever. A man who is rich in his wallet can be disgusting.

I still say it's about the women for most, and that most people who retire to LOS are men. In the West, it's not so easy to have a pretty 20 year old for 1,000 baht on a whim, and many men prefer the Asian type. If it isn't the girls, then why would there be rich men in LOS? The argument is lost that "it is cheaper to live" and certainly that the infrastructure or anything else is better for a rich man.

There is after all the South of France or many other high end places for weather.

Show me a truly rich man in LOS and I'll show you a man who came for the women, even if he hides it well.

YMMV.

For me personally

FREEDOM

Even with the various warts Thailand has it feels much more free IMHO

If you mean in the sense that the recent Cambo thread OP did, I think you're pretty free in Columbia, as long as you've got a convoy of bullet-proof cars and bodyguards armed to the teeth.

Freedom's one of those words, like love, that means so many different (and often contradictory) things it's become a more or less content-free term.

Perhaps you've not visited COLOMBIA or you might have know how to spell it. Things have changed recently very much for the better. Bogota as with any large city there are problem areas, you wouldn't wander around East Central Los Angeles, just stay outta the South of the city you'll be fine. Countryside is normally tranquil now and Santa Marta is a great seaside place to live, Americas oldest city. The drug trafficers have gone underground, no more major drug wars. Farc is winding down. Colombia offers every climate you'd want to live in. Go down the mountain get warm go up the mountain get cold, or choosesomewhere in between. Cali is a good choice and for some reason an abnormally large amount of beautiful women call it home. Colombia's food is fairly bland but restaurants are good and sea food excellent

For me personally

FREEDOM

Even with the various warts Thailand has it feels much more free IMHO

If you mean in the sense that the recent Cambo thread OP did, I think you're pretty free in Columbia, as long as you've got a convoy of bullet-proof cars and bodyguards armed to the teeth.

Freedom's one of those words, like love, that means so many different (and often contradictory) things it's become a more or less content-free term.

Perhaps you've not visited COLOMBIA or you might have know how to spell it. Things have changed recently very much for the better. Bogota as with any large city there are problem areas, you wouldn't wander around East Central Los Angeles, just stay outta the South of the city you'll be fine. Countryside is normally tranquil now and Santa Marta is a great seaside place to live, Americas oldest city. The drug trafficers have gone underground, no more major drug wars. Farc is winding down. Colombia offers every climate you'd want to live in. Go down the mountain get warm go up the mountain get cold, or choosesomewhere in between. Cali is a good choice and for some reason an abnormally large amount of beautiful women call it home. Colombia's food is fairly bland but restaurants are good and sea food excellent

Thanks for the information, I hope to visit one day.

But if its cities are anywhere as dangerous as those in the States I personally won't be settling down there.

• 2 weeks later...

I retired at the age of 33 IIRC, with a pension.

There is one country next door that has a convenient visa

for early retirees, unlike thailand.

That country is Cambodia

Yes, I totally agree with that about Cambodia easy visas! But for older people, Cambodia isn't there yet for medical services, etc.

That's true (regarding medical services) which are overpriced and full of inexperienced Cambodian nurses and not so good expat doctors that don't know their stuff, but charge an enormous price. The SOS clinic in Phnom Penh will easily cost you upwards of US$100 and there's a good chance the nurses there will damage a nerve when they stick a needle into your arm for a routine blood test, causing you to think you're having some medical problem until you make the connection. That's what happened to me and caused me pain for 2 days. Total waste of time.

If you have any medical issues, Cambodia is close enough to Thailand in order to fly to Bangkok within an hour and get treated there - however, for medical emergencies you'll have to use medical evacuation (best option) of course you have to have travel insurance for that or the local hospitals (worst option) at least to get you stabilized in the meantime. Therefore, Thailand is hands down the winner when it comes to these sorts of issues. However, as long as you're healthy and it's not an emergency, living in Cambodia and travelling to Thailand (or at least Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam where decent health care facilities are also available) is a possibility.

Show me a truly rich man in LOS and I'll show you a man who came for the women, even if he hides it well.

Show me any kind of man living here and the odds are pretty good that's true.

and it would be nothing to feel bad about!

• 5 months later...

I can't speak for Europeans, but as for Americans, I'd say there are a lot more retired in Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, etc. than in Thailand.

Exactly, Costarica is full of Americans, and they seem to love it, they can easily get permanent residence there, buy a house, work, party so I don't why so many people come here only to get riped off.

As am American I myself prefer Thailand over Costa Rica (which I've been many times) or any other country in the world .. I was the President of the International operations for a company for a decade and have seen quite a few.. For 1, I prefer a Buddhist culture over a Christian one even though I myself had been raised a Christian.. It is a much more lax religion and more on target with my views... Also, I like Asian woman much more than Latino women as they are in general much gentler, much slimmer and more feminine, also my opinion and to me they are much more beautiful. (especially Thai women). In my dealing with Latino women it seems they are much more demanding and more likely to be in control or slap the sh*t out of you.. I'm not into the big butts and hoochie mama look. I like Thai food way more than Mexican food or the food of Central America, I like the smiles I see here, which out-number any country I have even been to. I also feel I've been ripped off waaaaaay more in Central America than here.. as I feel most Thais are VERY honest. I never even count my change after years of witnessing them always giving me the correct amount. To me Thailand is Heaven on Earth wink.png

Agree with you in many points, my problem is that in this site i dont know how many times I've heard people complaining about the country and I just cant understand why they come here in the first place, specialy the retirees, I also agree with you, for me Thailand is heavens on earth though at the begining i didnt like it but the honesty, the kindness and the chicks, the culture and the food hooked me out biggrin.png

• Like 1

ive been saying it for years on here,

all the people that sit at there key boards pulling thailand and its people down, why the hell are you here?

if i didnt like somewere and the people there i wouldnt stay, ide leave,

jake

• Like 1

I came to live in Thailand because it gave me a chance to use my skills, training, and talent to help those disadvantaged in LOS and the surrounding countries ... at least that's what I do in the daytime.