Us Social Security

The US Social Sercuity payments via Bangkok Bank did not arrive today as scheduled due to the power outages caused by hurricane Sandy. I was advised to "check again monday!

Edited by wayned

Neither did the ones sent to the banks in the UK (via Dublin would you believe) each month, I shall have to live on porridge and boiled potatoes until Monday! biggrin.png

That's playing it pretty close.

You can PM me for details of where to send care packages, (bottles of fine wine, Fortnum and Mason hampers etc), all gratefully recieved.

I think that Monday might be dream. Once the electric is back on they'll have to process all of the international transfers that have piled up since it went off the beginning of the week. PBJ sandwiches for me!

US social security eh. Now lets see multi-trillion dollar debt. The government grabbed and spent all that momey long ago, only Printer Ben is keeping that flowing with new bills. Honestly not trying to be a smart arse, but can you really rely on that or would considering other options as a plan B be a good idea while you still can?

My OPM retirement was deposited to US bank sometime on the 1st for credit on the 2nd so one day later than normal. OPM instructed all Federal Employees to return to work on the 1st (earlier reports were that Monday would be return date).

Also received Bangkok Bank New York transfer today so they seem to be back in operation.

US social security eh. Now lets see multi-trillion dollar debt. The government grabbed and spent all that momey long ago, only Printer Ben is keeping that flowing with new bills. Honestly not trying to be a smart arse, but can you really rely on that or would considering other options as a plan B be a good idea while you still can?

Don't think you're qualified for 'smart arse'. But, you definitely fit the bill for dumb ass. jerk.gif

My OPM retirement was deposited to US bank sometime on the 1st for credit on the 2nd so one day later than normal. OPM instructed all Federal Employees to return to work on the 1st (earlier reports were that Monday would be return date).

Also received Bangkok Bank New York transfer today so they seem to be back in operation.

---------------

Exactly.

My monthly deposit showed at my U.S. bank as "in processing" on the 2nd of November.

(I check my bank account on-line regulary).

Since my bank is closed Saturday and Sunday I emailed them to start transfer process on Monday the 5th.

Should be in my Bangkok Bank account by the 7th or 8th of November.

I can't believe somebody not being able to have enough funds to cover a few days delay, but whatever.

By the way, my monthly direct deposit is made to my U.S. bank in Massachusetts on the 3rd of every month...no delays....including this month.

There is no "check in the mail" any longer for a majority of Social Security recipients any longer.

I believe by 2014 the "check in the mail" will be a thing of the past....as the Social Security administration is ending the old "check in the mail" system, and will be requiring a "direct deposit" account or the new Social Security ATM card of ALL new retirees.

I would like to get that new Social Security ATM card....but unfortunately it's useless outside the U.S.

Maybe, someday, the Social Security will catch up with the 21st century?

thumbsup.gif

Despite me recieving US SSc pension payments I am in fact a Brit and have the typical Brit sence of humour, my apologies if anyone took my post previous seriously but I thought there were enough clues therein to make even the most gullible aware. Of course I am not reliant on my US SSc payment, apart from being incredibly suave and handsome, I'm actually rolling in it! biggrin.png

• Like 1

-------------------

The U.S. national debt is financed by the sale of U.S. treasury tax free bonds sold on a regular basis and purchased mainly by foriegn governments and large investors.

Many of these large investors are other non U.S. government pension funds.

The bonds are exempt from U.S. taxes.but pay a small interest.

What is usually (and mistakenly) refered to as the U.S. National Debt is the money required to PAY those investors the interest on those tax free treasury bonds.

China is now the main buyer of these U.S. Treasury bonds. Most international government pension funds are buyers of U.S. bonds....including European retirement funds, Japan, and of course, the U.K. pensions system.

Now, as a poor retiree, if this entire system of financing the U.S. debt collapses it would cause a WORLDWIDE economic and financial disaster; and my puny Social Security monthly pension would be the LEAST of my problems.

How many calories are there in eating an ounce of Gold when the entire world-wide Capitalist financial system is Bankrupt....and NO ONE want's to buy your (now worthless) Gold?

wink.png

Edited by IMA_FARANG

The OP was only meant as a heads up, not a complaint! There is no Bangkok Bank close to where I live and usually combine a bank visit to transfer the funds to a "useable" account along with a replenisment trip to the "big City", Nakhon Sawan. But I do still eat PBJ sandwiches when I'm lazy!

Don't think you're qualified for 'smart arse'. But, you definitely fit the bill for dumb ass. jerk.gif

In his defense (or defence since he is using the UK spelling for ass) .... social security was never intended to be the only means of support for retired Americans ... and why my generation has to pay into a system that I will get very little or nothing out of is beyond me. But I don't think this thread was intended to debate the merits of the social security program (or programme) that is destroying the national budget ....

... social security was never intended to be the only means of support for retired Americans ... and why my generation has to pay into a system that I will get very little or nothing out of is beyond me.

Wait, let me guess. You have never read a book explaining how the Social Security system works. You don't know what a "mortality credit" is. You get all your information on the subject from internet forums like this one.

Why, then, of course, it's beyond you. There must be a great deal that is beyond you.

Aren't you just bitter. I know what a mortality yield is, and the bottom line is the social security system is broke and underfunded and more to my original point WAS NEVER INTENDED TO BE A RETIREES SOLE SOURCE OF INCOME. Not to mention when it was founded people didn't live as long. And I work for the USG, so no ... I don't get all my information from the internet forums.

And since I didn't personally attack you, not sure why you decided to attack my intellect ....

I am not bitter in the least since I am confident that I will collect my lifetime benefit, but it's true that I am distinctly unimpressed with your intellect. The adequacy of the SS system as a complete national retirement system has nothing to do with the adequacy of its funding. The fact that the two are linked your mind is evidence of a deep confusion. In addition, if you are unable to distinguish between a system that is broke and one that has both a dedicated funding source in the payroll tax and a Trust Fund of $2.4 trillion, then I am certainly not going to be able to explain it to you at this late date.