Stopped By The Police

End

I have been stopped by the police and searched three times in about 7 years of living in Bangkok. The first time was arriving at ekamai bus station when getting of the bus after travelling from trat. The second time was at kao sarn road and the third time in the car park of tesco lotus at Rama4 road. Each time my bag was searched, but after the police found nothing i was allowed to go on my way with no problems. Just out of interest, I'd like to know how many times other people have been stopped and what were their experiences.

I am just another bald headed type. The first two times i was stopped i can understand why because of the locations. The time at tesco was odd though. The police asked what I was doing there. I replied since it was tesco, I was shopping. Maybe they just wanted to practice their English.

I am one of those harmless looking skinny dudes in his twenties without tats, beer belly or broken teeth and i have been stopped at least 10 - 15 times in 5 years.

One morning at around 10am i was just walking to the gym and 2 cops on a motorbike stopped me and asked for my passport.

The other time while going through the airport right after you pass the customs area.

I also got searched on multiple police check points while sitting in a taxi. Every time around 9pm on weekends near asoke. If you come from the bangkok stock exchange and drive to the asoke intersection. There seems to be a regular checkpoint. Every time i have to get out of the car, empty my pockets, hand over my money (which they count) and explain 'my agenda'. Bit of a pain but i was never bothered for bribe money.

I have no tattoos. Maybe I am just unlucky. I think I need some luck from the 'lucky man' Indian fellas.

Dont worry - i dont think it has anything to do with your appearance. I have been stopped in shorts and sandles as well as in proper business atire. Wrong place, wrong time - thats all wink.png

Edited by PomRakBKK
  • Like 1

Never been searched or stopped on foot in all my time living there or on any annual visit. (I've got lots of tats but I don't display them in BKK ..... and I proudly still have a full head of hair)

I have no tattoos. Maybe I am just unlucky. I think I need some luck from the 'lucky man' Indian fellas.

Dont worry - i dont think it has anything to do with your appearance. I have been stopped in shorts and sandles as well as in proper business atire. Wrong place, wrong time - thats all wink.png

Yes, I think you're right about "wrong place" sad.png

Edited by Semper

They know the old guys are just here for the sex, and figure the young ones are druggies.

Yes. I agree. I am in my 30's and I figured they were searching for drugs. I am just relieved they didn't place any in my bag when they were searching it. The experience however was quite nerve wracking even though I had nothing to hide.

They know the old guys are just here for the sex, and figure the young ones are druggies.

Yes. I agree. I am in my 30's and I figured they were searching for drugs. I am just relieved they didn't place any in my bag when they were searching it. The experience however was quite nerve wracking even though I had nothing to hide.

They generally only do that when they want to get you for something else, messing with a cops daughter/wife etc.

The normal scam that way is to have a "licensed dealer" turn over a certain number of suckers per week after selling them stuff in the bars around KSR, to show the public they're keeping on top of the problem 8-)

Semper, on 2012-11-02 17:59:14, said:

Never in 12 years. You mentioned " bald headed type", any visible tattoos?

Never in 10 yrs. It could be the mask that gives you away and the Bank bag.

Dam. That must have been it. I never thought the police would notice.

Edited by End

On the road to Nong Khai, I was driving 180 kph. The police stopped me, they fined me 400B and asked me to drive a bit more slowly.

And also I turn right in front of World Trade where I was supposed to go straight. They asked for 1,000 and we settled for 200

That's about it

They'll search the old guys also for drugs ( performance enhancers ) ! Shake downs at Ekamai bus station commonplace .....don't forget your prescriptions now !!

I have been stopped twice. Once in a taxi during the red shirt protest. They got me out of the taxi for a search. Very intimidating but no problems. Second time was in September at Ekami bus station. 3 cops surrounded me and searched me and my bags. They Also had a hold of my passport for longer than what was comfortable. Again all very intimadating. They said they were searching for bombs. I had a lot of prescription meds with me. But they accepted my explanation that they were for my heart and they let me rush off to Nana for a few drinks to calm my nerves :-)

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by IrishMick

Yeah. Ekkamai bus station seems to be a favourite place. When they stopped me there they were intent on rummaging through my backpack. However, when they saw my passport and realised i was British, they were far more interested in talking about football than my bag lol

Edited by End