Retirement Visa In London

I have a retirement visa. Will soon be travelling to London for short visit.

My passport is nearly full so I intend to get a new passport while I am there.

My question is do I need to take my new passport to Thai embassy in London to get my retirement visa transferred from old passport or do I have to go thru whole process again in Bangkok to get a new visa when I get back?

Thanks.

I suspect you have a one year extension of stay from immigration for retirement so after return you will have to transfer that into your new passport at immigration. Hopefully airlines and immigration will accept your re-entry permit in your old passport to allow return on that retirement extension. I would change passports inside Thailand to be sure no issues but understand that may be slightly higher price option.

I would change passports inside Thailand to be sure no issues but understand that may be slightly higher price option.

To OP:

Tell your passport department the same, like lopburi mentioned. This way, it shouldn't be a problem, to keep your old and full passport valid.

In this case, the new passport in hand, the full one with the valid visa also, I would show both at Thai border, and ask them, to stamp your entry into the new one. I do not know, if they could change it totally, but they will tell you about!

Most likely not the immigration officer at arrival at the airport but your local immigration office will later transfer your extension of stay from the old to the new passport. Go see them soon after your arrival in Thailand.

Did exactly the same thing back in June. After you have your new passport, and arrive back in Thailand with both passports you can go to your local immigration office that you use for reporting etc and have the extension transferred into the new passport and no charge.