Air Asia - New Cabin Baggage Policy

jackspratt

As from 1 December AA will institute new rules for cabin (carry-on) baggage.

The policy is strictly 1 bag only (eg no bag + laptop etc), and you cannot pay extra to take on a second article.

There are a few exceptions, for example baby food, prosthesis etc.

Read all about it here:

http://www.airasia.c...80&locale=en_GB\

Edited by jackspratt

It was interesting to read only one peice of carry-on luggage.

No exemptions what-so-ever, nope, zip, zero zilch chance untill ...

Q/ Can I bring my ladies’ handbag onboard in addition to my main piece of cabin baggage?

A/ Yes you can

Well ... that's discrimtation ... tongue.png

• Like 2

It was interesting to read only one peice of carry-on luggage.

No exemptions what-so-ever, nope, zip, zero zilch chance untill ...

Q/ Can I bring my ladies’ handbag onboard in addition to my main piece of cabin baggage?

A/ Yes you can

Well ... that's discrimtation ... tongue.png

so if you are a guy does that mean you can carry a ladies handbag onboard?...how about a man's handbag? how about a lady boy handbag...

some of the "ladies handbags" are bigger than my suitcase.....

Yeah, well I flew into Bangkok from Europe with 46kgs, too late to catch an evening flight to Udon Thani, booked Air Asia 40kgs (is max you can book, 1250 baht extra), thought remembering surcharge weight was 80 baht kilo, so 6*80=480 baht to pay as extra on top of total ticket price of 2250 one way.

At check in was told I had 10kgs excess at 400B/kg= +4000 to pay sick.gif

Told the lady Thai Airways business class comes cheaper, will be my next ticket.

She told me I could check in 35kgs.

Showed her my booking stating I paid for 40kgs.

In the end was told if I removed 4-5 kgs to my almost empty back pack I would be OK, so I did.

Boarding many many people brought lots of hand luggage into the cabin.

Conclusion; for international travel connecting via BKK no more AA for me, commuting to/from DM, 400B/kilo excess weight etc.

Good for air asia

I find it so anyone when people board planes with 3 4 or 5 bags

So annoying waiting for them to fill the over head bins and not

leaving me any room for my one little carry on bag

+1 recently had my netbook damaged in the overhead locker on an air asia flight when some idiot plonked a heavy case on top of my small backpack :(

Emirates check-in staff in Manchester told me that I should put my laptop bag inside my cabin case before I reached the gate at Manchester last month. There was no way it was going to fit, so I ignored it and no more mention was made of it when I did reach the gate. Emirates have a liberal 30kg check-in policy so in one sense I don't begrudge them if they are going to try to enforce a one bag policy. However it will be annoying to have airlines with all different kinds of baggage policies - a journey often comproses two or three different carriers and it could be a real minefield trying to maximise your carrying capacity

I'm not against this but I can see some arguements when boarding, wonder who will back down, something will have to give.

Who is going to tell the chinese who seem to bring loads of luggage into the plane. I agree though one small bag should be the rule.

So no more buying Duty-Free, or plastic-bags of OTOP-products, from the Departure-Lounge shopping, unless it fits into your backpack/pull-along-carry-on, wonder what the airport-authorities and shops will say about that ? sad.png

My last flight with FD, I had a 7kg small backpack, plus books & laptop in a small laptop-bag, but now it seems they don't want my business. Which will be fine by me. I'll fly Nok-Air or Bangkok-Air instead, and get a free hold-luggage-allowance instead. thumbsup.gif

So no more buying Duty-Free, or plastic-bags of OTOP-products, from the Departure-Lounge shopping, unless it fits into your backpack/pull-along carry on, I wonder what the airport-authorities and shops will say about that?

They will probably refer to the Q&A from Air Asia

What about shopping bags (plastic/paper bags), is it considered as one piece of cabin baggage?

Yes, any bag regardless of type is considered as one piece of cabin baggage except for items purchased at Duty Free shops.

• Like 2

Good for air asia

+1 recently had my netbook damaged in the overhead locker on an air asia flight when some idiot plonked a heavy case on top of my small backpack :(

Sounds like only 1 idiot.. The one not making sure their net book was protected..

How would anyone else know it was in your back pack :)

Next time keep it with you until everyone has jammed their <deleted> in the locker...

I've always traveled with a small carry on (3kg) and a separate laptop. Not a problem I can buy a bigger carry on and put my laptop in it. Now it just means I need to keep removing the laptop because the customs staff always seem to want to scan it separately.

Otherwise there is always Bangkok Air. Wait a minute....I already only use Bangkok Air domestically...

This is Air Asia we are talking about so I reckon it's just another money-making opportunity.

Strictly one piece of hand-luggage within the size and weight restrictions but for an extra 200 baht or so you'll be allowed a laptop bag/handbag in addition. They'll keep the new policy in place for a short time then introduce this new option as a service to customers.

If they enforce the weight limit with regards to expensive photo gear that fits within the size but not the weight limit, I'm not flying AA anymore. Not that it matters much now. After experiencing DM a few weeks ago, I'm not tempted even if I have to pay 50% more with Thai or others. It was fun as long as it lasted though.

I do applaud AA for this, but I do wonder if it will really happen.

AA work on a quick turn around of their aircraft and most of their staff, by their very nature, don't like confrontation, I really cannot see their flight crew arguing with a stroppy passenger who insists on taking too much luggage, possibly losing face and missing their slot.

So no more buying Duty-Free, or plastic-bags of OTOP-products, from the Departure-Lounge shopping, unless it fits into your backpack/pull-along carry on, I wonder what the airport-authorities and shops will say about that?

They will probably refer to the Q&A from Air Asia

What about shopping bags (plastic/paper bags), is it considered as one piece of cabin baggage?

Yes, any bag regardless of type is considered as one piece of cabin baggage except for items purchased at Duty Free shops.

Thanks, my mistake, but I still think they'll flinch at Mrs R's load, reminds one of a bag-lady ! And she shops groundside, as well as airside, gets to spend more that way ! laugh.png

I flew back from HK -don muang-chiangmai yesterday.

I was amazed with the size and number per passenger of cabin bags, Seeing them I thought"hello hello" there's going to be trouble here.

Not a bit of it. no checks..all taken in. and beleve me some bags looked very heavy and certainly over the accepted size

Good for air asia

+1 recently had my netbook damaged in the overhead locker on an air asia flight when some idiot plonked a heavy case on top of my small backpack sad.png

Sounds like only 1 idiot.. The one not making sure their net book was protected..

How would anyone else know it was in your back pack smile.png

Next time keep it with you until everyone has jammed their <deleted> in the locker...

I did try keeping it by my feet but one of the cabin crew wanted to put it in the overhead locker. I told her there was a notebook computer inside and she smiled sweetly, next thing I knew other cabin staff where shoving cases into the overhead lockers. I jumped up to check my backpack but I was too late and there was a case (that was almost as big as the bag I check to the hold) on top of it.

The netbook was protected in a neoprene case, the screen was not cracked when I checked it, but when I got to CM it would not boot and needed a replacement main board.

Thanks for calling me an idiot without knowing the circumstances sad.png

Edited by jay1980
  • Like 2